Did you use this? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
brando9

New

Did you use this?

Post by brando9 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:49 pm

Hey y'all. Recently took the June test. I took a blueprint prep course (awesome) and learned a ton and saw a significant score increase. I was scoring in the 165 range prior to the test and assumig I'm going to retake in October to get a 170+. Any advice on how to get to that next level?

I saw the Kaplan 180 and Cambridge LSAT Challenge on amazon.com....anyone use these books and/or recommend a different approach?

Thanks!

Cheers

Noblesse_Oblige

New

Re: Did you use this?

Post by Noblesse_Oblige » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:58 pm

brando9 wrote:Hey y'all. Recently took the June test. I took a blueprint prep course (awesome) and learned a ton and saw a significant score increase. I was scoring in the 165 range prior to the test and assumig I'm going to retake in October to get a 170+. Any advice on how to get to that next level?

I saw the Kaplan 180 and Cambridge LSAT Challenge on amazon.com....anyone use these books and/or recommend a different approach?

Thanks!

Cheers
I 100% recommend VelocityLSAT it is more expensive than self study, less expensive than prep course, but if you work hard and do exactly as he says, you have a realistic shot at a 180. Frankly, this is my first LSAT, and after Velocity (and my lazy attempt at studying) I would be disappointed if I scored below a 171, and if I did, it would be my own fault. I'm going to use Velocity again for October if I need to. (The subscriptions last for 8 months so that you can use it again free for your retake.)

goldenflash19

Silver

Post by goldenflash19 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:14 pm

LR and LG Bibles + Manhattan RC did wonders for me.

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:10 pm

Honestly, I got one book on logic games (The Big Fat Genius Guide to LSAT Logic Games...it's old, but the lessons are great and completely applicable to more recent games) and the official LSAT SuperPrep book. Aside from that, it was all self-study for me. For logic games, those were the least intuitive at the start, so I feel like working through a book dedicated entirely to them was very useful for me. As for the other two sections, I did some review of the question types for LR and worked on honing my ability to recognize and deal with the underlying logical structures of arguments.

I work at a Biglaw firm, and one of the associates here recommended Kaplan 180. He said it was very helpful. But for me personally, I did some research and decided against it. On a few occasions, I did a handful of LG that weren't written by LSAC or sourced from old PrepTests, and I hated them. They seemed similar to real LG at first, but after doing so many of the real things, I could just tell that they were different. A few even had errors in the stimulus or questions, which pissed me off royally. From that, I decided to avoid doing anything that wasn't originally on a real LSAT at some point, which is why I refrained from Kaplan 180. I'm sure it would be beneficial in terms of providing tons of extra opportunity for practice, but I would be very hesitant to develop habits and familiarities based on material that never was and never will be on the actual test upon which my entire future largely hinges.

But I'm a control freak who likes to control for every possible variable, so a grain or two of salt is probably in order here.

TheColonel

New

Post by TheColonel » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:52 pm

Like you, I took the Blueprint course and thought it was great. I just took the June LSAT so I obviously don't know what I got but I am feeling fairly confident.

I would definitely recommend against another course. I doubt theres much tat they can teach you especially if you have PT-ed close to 170.

In the lead up to test day I was PTing consistently in the 175-178 range. I would recommend a ton of PTs, the superprep book, and some time on TLS. The most useful thing for you at this stage will be a bunch of repetition so you can get to to the point where you're starting to see patterns and reach a very comfortable level with the test. PT as much as you can stomach and don't be afraid to repeat tests. I'd be wary of any commercial prep program or book because they are pretty much all not going to be geared towards he top level of test taker, since that is necessarily a small group of people. I thought the superprep was useful to see how the test makers think and read their explanations. TLS will be here to answer any LSAT questions that come up. Also, this website is great http://www.manhattanlsat.com/lsat-test-explanations.cfm.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:46 pm

TheColonel wrote:Like you, I took the Blueprint course and thought it was great. I just took the June LSAT so I obviously don't know what I got but I am feeling fairly confident.

I would definitely recommend against another course. I doubt theres much tat they can teach you especially if you have PT-ed close to 170.

In the lead up to test day I was PTing consistently in the 175-178 range. I would recommend a ton of PTs, the superprep book, and some time on TLS. The most useful thing for you at this stage will be a bunch of repetition so you can get to to the point where you're starting to see patterns and reach a very comfortable level with the test. PT as much as you can stomach and don't be afraid to repeat tests. I'd be wary of any commercial prep program or book because they are pretty much all not going to be geared towards he top level of test taker, since that is necessarily a small group of people. I thought the superprep was useful to see how the test makers think and read their explanations. TLS will be here to answer any LSAT questions that come up. Also, this website is great http://www.manhattanlsat.com/lsat-test-explanations.cfm.
+1

PTs until either your eyes start bleeding or they become second nature. Drill it in with sheer repetition until you've seen every possible question type so often that you're rarely if ever surprised by one. Most of the wasted time on the real thing are those couple of "omgwtf" seconds when you read something and don't immediately recognize how to deal with it.

TRex77

New

Post by TRex77 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:03 pm

Take velocity.

I originally took BluePrint, and liked it...until I looked into manhattan and Velocity.

Velocity is far superior, especially for LR.

Manhattan is my favorite for LG though.

I have done the whole BluePrint course, read all the Manhattan books, and gone through random Velocity videos. I plan on doing the whole Velocity LR book before the October test.

TheColonel

New

Post by TheColonel » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:19 pm

TRex77 wrote:Take velocity.

I originally took BluePrint, and liked it...until I looked into manhattan and Velocity.

Velocity is far superior, especially for LR.

Manhattan is my favorite for LG though.

I have done the whole BluePrint course, read all the Manhattan books, and gone through random Velocity videos. I plan on doing the whole Velocity LR book before the October test.
How would you say Velocity's LR is far superior to Blueprint? Genuinely curious. If anything, I had heard that Velocity's games approach was what really set it apart.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”