How do YOU RC?

How do YOU RC?

Postby ar1656 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:31 pm

When starting a RC section, I skim the reading comprehension for key terms and information. Go to the questions, start answering and then refer back to the passage. It's usually very effective. My question is, how do you do reading comprehension sections? Is there a more effective way? How do you RC?

Re: How do YOU RC?

Postby chris9152 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:50 pm

I usually read each passage closely with brief annotations (usually takes 2-4 minutes). I then go through the questions quickly.

But... if it's effective, why change it?

Postby humbugger » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:49 am

At first I tried the skimming the passage thing, rather than reading through it. However, I found that when I slowed down and actually paid attention when I was reading, it was helpful. If nothing else, it's less fatiguing, which is important in the context of a whole LSAT. Personally when I started sub-vocalizing the passage (like, reading it to myself) I found I could retain it better.

Postby TheRainMan » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:59 am

Postby Swimp » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:24 am

RC is the one section where I don't rely on many "tricks." Really the only strategizing I do is to avoid stridently-worded answer choices. Aside from that, I just read the passage carefully, but not painstakingly, and then go hit the questions. I don't mark up the passages or anything.

When I was an undergrad I read a *lot* of abstruse literary theory. I eventually came to the conclusion that almost all of it was empty rhetoric, but I think it actually did help me to grasp complex arguments on the fly. RC has always been my best section on the LSAT. LG, on the other hand, have been a real struggle for me. I'm told it's the most learnable section, so I'm just chipping away.

Given my affinity for RC, I may not be qualified to give good advice on it, but if someone asked me I'd recommend reading the kinds of magazines that the passages are lifted from (Economist, Scientific American, etc) to become comfortable with the style of argument. It seems to me that the most efficient way to tackle the reading on the test is just to read straight through with a minimum of interruptions.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”