Need a plan of attack! Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
HuskyHopeful

New

Need a plan of attack!

Post by HuskyHopeful » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:50 pm

Hey all:

I am seeking to apply to law schools this coming cycle. I will be graduating from undergrad in December with a BS in computer science (3.4 gpa and very good softs). I took the June LSAT this past week with very little preparation, mostly because I wanted to get a real test under my belt. Prior to the test I only took two practice exams (148, 149 respectively). I am looking to raise my score to a 160.

What I seek is a good method of attack between now and October. My weakest section is Logic Games by far. And i am ready to put forth several hours a day between now and October to achieve my desired score.

Any suggestions on which books, materials etc to use and how to spend my time?

I work full time over the summer, when school starts I will be taking 15 credits, running a fraternity, and working part time. However, I can still manage 15 hours a week during school and most likely 25 for the summer.

EDIT: I am expecting anywhere from a 145-155 on the June LSAT. Not acceptable in my book, so preparation for October starts meow.

rinehart27

New

Re: Need a plan of attack!

Post by rinehart27 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:58 pm

Don't bank on your softs helping you at all, just a heads up.

Grab a copy of the Logic Games Bible by Powerscore, read it cover to cover. Same for the Logical Reasoning Bible, too.
Get the 'Actual 10 LSAT' series - there's like 4 books and their cheap.
Self study using the link below.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =6&t=41657

odutayo2

New

Post by odutayo2 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:05 pm

So long as you're ready to put forth several hours a day studying between now and then I dont think you'll have a problem getting your score to a 160. I'd suggest the powerscore logic games bible & logical reading bible. Helped me a lot, and it seems that many other people say the same. I think it may be best to take a little time off before you start studying, seeing as you just took an exam Monday, but everyone is different, so only you know whats best for you. Id start off reading the bibles and just becoming more comfortable with the material. I dont think you'll have to put too many hours in a day this far away, but again, to each his own. It'll be helpful to pace yourself though, and move gradually. Logic games may be your weakest section, but if you're only scoring in the 140s then there has to be other weaknesses there too. Not sure how you're doing on the logical reasoning section, but being as it is 50% of your score, you'll notice a significant increase in your score just by mastering that section alone. As far as your schedule goes, it wont be too hard to balance, and if it is, you'll have to get used to it sooner or later anyway. Maybe start studying/reading in 2 hour blocks a few nights a week, and maybe 4 hours saturday or sunday mornings. It'll become routine pretty quickly. With the bibles and all the time between now and October, you shouldnt have too much trouble improving to a 160. Just keep working at it. Best of luck!

HuskyHopeful

New

Post by HuskyHopeful » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Awesome replies, I will most likely take a break until Monday and start fresh with the beginning of next week.

My only other question, is if i take the LSAT in October will it give me ample time to apply to most law schools?

rinehart27

New

Post by rinehart27 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:43 pm

yeah, just have everything ready to go when you get your october score.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HuskyHopeful

New

Post by HuskyHopeful » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:33 pm

Got the results from the June test; 151 (2 points higher; highest PT)

LR -9
RC -12
LR -8
LG -14

My Plan of Attack: Read through the LG,LR,RC power score bibles in their entirety.
Use PT 1-10 as drill books.
Make copies of all the LG from PT 1-10. Repeat 5 Logic Games a day for a month.

Take 20 PTs timed in a legitimate setting. (starting in end of August).
1 Day Take Test - 2nd Day grade and review wrong answers; make copies of incorrect LG answers and repeat them daily.

As of now I am working full time and starting Thursday will be utilizing the following "summer" study schedule:
Mon (3hrs)
Tues (3hrs)
Weds (OFF)
Thurs(3hrs)
Fri(2hrs)
Sat(4hrs)
Sun(4hrs)
Total:20 hours a week.

Once school starts can prolly squeeze out a few more hours a week. What do you guys think of this plan? Trying to increase to at least a 160. Targeting a 165.

ilovelawtays

Bronze

Post by ilovelawtays » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:00 pm

I think your determination and planning will be your strongest asset. Just a few suggestions, in no particular order.

1. Keep in mind that TLS is very numbers driven. In general, I agree that admittance to a particular school depends largely on numbers and less on "softs" and your PS. However, I've spoken with several students and lawyers who were admitted to T50 schools even though one (or both) of their stats fell below the average (in one case, a GPA of 2.85, LSAT 164, for a school with an avg of of 3.6+ and 165). Softs that can play in your favor are work experience and concrete reasons why your undergraduate GPA may not be up to snuff for that particular school. You have to be careful when you read these forums, because people can put The Fear into you. Be smart about your options, but don't give up on a few higher reach goals.

2. Don't get married to the idea of hitting X number of hours each day. You need to study smart, not hard. If you've had an awful day, you're sick, you're exhausted, or you're just "off", stop. Three hours of terrible studying will, at best, be a huge waste of your time, and, at worst, be incredibly frustrating and demoralizing.

3. With your comp sci background, I would not be shocked if LG quickly becomes your best section. Once you have a handle on diagramming and the contrapositive, you'll drastically improve your score. Just stick with it and be prepared for a few setbacks.

JohnV

Bronze

Post by JohnV » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:34 pm

Why did you take the LSAT without any real studying before hand? I've never heard of someone taking a real LSAT for practice-sake.
HuskyHopeful wrote: so preparation for October starts meow.
Also, this made me cringe...

HuskyHopeful

New

Post by HuskyHopeful » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:39 pm

Its a Super Troopers joke my friend, lighten up.

As far as taking the LSAT preemptively; was a personal choice to see what the exam actually entails. I have read plenty of posts on this forum of people who choke on test day. I now realize that I actually perform better in the test environment compared to the PTing environment. As a result, I have alleviated negative anxiety in October.

Confidence building is a key to an exam of this magnitude. (IMO)

Appreciate all the advice guys, tomorrow begins my two monthish quest of devout studying.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ilovelawtays

Bronze

Post by ilovelawtays » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:43 pm

HuskyHopeful wrote:Its a Super Troopers joke my friend, lighten up.

As far as taking the LSAT preemptively; was a personal choice to see what the exam actually entails. I have read plenty of posts on this forum of people who choke on test day. I now realize that I actually perform better in the test environment compared to the PTing environment. As a result, I have alleviated negative anxiety in October.

Confidence building is a key to an exam of this magnitude. (IMO)

Appreciate all the advice guys, tomorrow begins my two monthish quest of devout studying.
Had you never taken any sort of standardized test before?

Your choice to just take it cold, especially after missing the 50th percentile on both of your earlier PTs, also struck me as odd. It's an expensive test and an important test, and you only get to take it so many times each year. Just seems like a waste of time and money for very little benefit.

And you didn't necessarily prove that you test better in real test conditions. All you may have proved is that your score has gone up the more familiar you've become with the test.

JohnV

Bronze

Post by JohnV » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:56 pm

HuskyHopeful wrote:Its a Super Troopers joke my friend, lighten up.
Maybe that explains why all my hipstery friends like to say that sometimes, but bleh...
Perhaps, but it also wasted one of your attempts (I believe you can only take 3 test in a 2 year span). I don't want to say anything that would attack your confidence in the next attempt so I won't, just isn't something I would have done.

elterrible78

Silver

Post by elterrible78 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:28 pm

ilovelawtays wrote:
2. Don't get married to the idea of hitting X number of hours each day. You need to study smart, not hard. If you've had an awful day, you're sick, you're exhausted, or you're just "off", stop. Three hours of terrible studying will, at best, be a huge waste of your time, and, at worst, be incredibly frustrating and demoralizing.
This, x 1000. I think it's pretty vital to hit that "sweet spot" with the amount of time you spend studying, and definitely to study smart and not hard. You don't want to under-do it, but you definitely don't want to overdo it either. I was trying to do 4 PTs per week at some point preparing for the June test, and it just did not work for me. My scores started falling, it was extremely frustrating and scary. I decided to peel it back to 2 per week, my scores went back up, and it was smooth sailing from there.

Good luck!

MauveT-Rex

New

Post by MauveT-Rex » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:30 pm

Step one would be ignoring the negative responses by some about your past actions. What's done is done, I'm not sure why people take such pleasure by criticizing the past. I would read the sticky posts in this forum for starters, especially the pithypike schedule(yes every page). Make a list of all the materials you need, shop amazon, ebay, and the "buy sell exchange" forum on TLS and get everything ordered by tomorrow if possible. Also, consider Steve Schwartz's study plans on lsatblog.com. Good luck sir and for what it's worth be grateful you're not a test day choker like I am.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”