PT 59-3-21

superhedy2011

PT 59-3-21

Postby superhedy2011 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:39 am

A LR question regarding keyboard design. Why not C??
Why E is the right answer, I cannot understand.

Anyone who helps me, thanks in advance!

Sqeener

Re: PT 59-3-21

Postby Sqeener » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:31 am

Greetings here is my stab to this question:

Let's first start by dissecting the stimuli before we proceed with the question type then we'll move to the answer choices at hand. (i too, was able to deduct the answers down between C and E, ultimately chose C just because i'm stupid like that -_-)

Premise 1: Qwerty originally designed to be awkward and limit typing speed
Premise 2: This b/c early typewriters would jam frequently if adjacent keys were struck in quick succession.
Premise 3: Experiments have shown keyboard configurations MORE efficient than Qwerty CAN double typing speed and reduce typing effort.
Conclusion (this one i used my own categorization of counter conclusion-meaning the conclusion went against the premises aforementioned): expense and inconvenience of switching to new keyboard config prevent any other config than Qwerty to attain widespread use.

Question type: Most strongly supported and according to the logic games bible, this question falls under must be true. This means you're moving from the stimulus to the answer choices. Accept the stimulus, don't bring in information, use what is at hand to deduct answers. And deduct away we will...

A) Deducted for no mention of "reducing typing effort", sorry bro, the answer's choice selection of "more quickly" just doesn't cut it does not encompass everything that the QWERTY designed for as mentioned in the stimulus.

B) The focus of our stimulus was not a comparison between EARLY Qwerty typerwriters and RECENT typerwriters (seriously i've only known one person that has RECENTLY used a typerwriter and by recent i mean two years ago and it wasn't by choice either, but thats besides the point)

C) Let's understand that the Qwerty designed was ORIGINALLY designed to be awkward and limit speed. This was to prevent jams in early typewriters. Now looking back at the answer choice C which reads: "If the designers of early typerwriters had foreseen the possibility that technology would make it possible for adjacent keyboards to be struck without jamming"

The early typewriters with awareness, DID IN FACT, choose the Qwerty design for the typewriters to do just that- to prevent jams when adjacent keys were struck by making it slow and awkward. Slow and awkward = negating the quick sucession which would cause jamming.

D) Beyond the scope of what's at hand, as cliche as that might sound. The stimulus does not discuss any mentions of benefits to society, sure benefits to those that use keyboards but not Society.

E) If the keyboard was designed for the computers, the designers would not have to work with the intention of designing something that limit typing speed to prevent jams when adjacent keys were struck. which by premise 2, was mentioned.

I hope this helps. If it doesn't, grab a beer and read some Socrates. I apologize for any grammatical errors and/or typos. Do let me know if you spot any.

Ti Malice

Re: PT 59-3-21

Postby Ti Malice » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:28 pm

Sqeener wrote:Greetings here is my stab to this question:

Let's first start by dissecting the stimuli before we proceed with the question type then we'll move to the answer choices at hand. (i too, was able to deduct the answers down between C and E, ultimately chose C just because i'm stupid like that -_-)

Premise 1: Qwerty originally designed to be awkward and limit typing speeId
Premise 2: This b/c early typewriters would jam frequently if adjacent keys were struck in quick succession.
Premise 3: Experiments have shown keyboard configurations MORE efficient than Qwerty CAN double typing speed and reduce typing effort.
Conclusion (this one i used my own categorization of counter conclusion-meaning the conclusion went against the premises aforementioned): expense and inconvenience of switching to new keyboard config prevent any other config than Qwerty to attain widespread use.

There is no conclusion in that stimulus. It's just a set of facts.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”