Cancel June score and begin studying for October?

fdubzou
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:59 am

Cancel June score and begin studying for October?

Postby fdubzou » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:38 am

So I took the LSAT yesterday (6/11/12) and now have a dilemma on my hands. I had previously taken the LSAT in September of 2007 and received a score of 157. I began studying for this proctoring of the test about 5 weeks ago, cramming most (but not all) of a TestMasters online course into that time. I completed 4 diagnostics during my studies in accordance with the course which ranged in scores from 160-165. I do not feel like I scored at the top of my range on this test, and probably scored near the bottom (somewhere around 160-162 would be my guess). My question is sort of twofold. Regardless, I now plan on taking the October LSAT, using some of the techniques outlined on this website for self study. I figure I have nearly 4 months to study for it, and already have a decent grasp of the concepts of the LSAT, so now I can focus on improving both accuracy and speed, hopefully translating to a much more elite score.

My first question is whether or not I should cancel my score. My score from 2007 will be obsolete by the time I take the October test, so it won't prevent me from taking the test a 3rd time in 2013 if necessary in an attempt to maximize fin aid or get off wait-lists. I am confident that I will at least score about the same on the October test, and am hoping through self study and multiple preptests that I will significantly increase my score. At the very least the studying over the next 4 months will give me an accurate description of my range, so my idea about where I will score will be better. So I am leaning toward canceling my score, but part of my wants to see how I did since I spent 5 weeks cramming for it.

The next question is, given my familiarity with the test material, it would seem unnecessary for me to start with the PowerScore bibles, as outlined in many of the 180 testimonies, and that I should instead begin with Actual Official PrepTests and go from there. Does this seem advisable or should I just go ahead and start all over from the beginning? I should mention that I currently cannot finish any section completely within the time allotted.

Lastly, I did not get to complete the conclusion of my writing sample, which gives me even more reason to believe I should cancel.

Any thoughts or advice would be most appreciated.

User avatar
goldenflash19
Posts: 477
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Cancel June score and begin studying for October?

Postby goldenflash19 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:47 am

I'd definitely recommend the LR Bible even though you're familiar with the section. Reading (and rereading) it helped me pick up patterns that allowed me to prephase/quickly answer a lot of questions. I went from barely finishing to regularly finishing 5 minutes early and being able to check tougher questions.

I would never cancel because of the writing sample. Wait a day or two before making your decision. It's really tough to gauge how you did right after the test.

Good luck!

fdubzou
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:59 am

Re: Cancel June score and begin studying for October?

Postby fdubzou » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:30 am

Thanks for the advice! I think I'm just gonna bite the bullet and go ahead and get all of the bible's and books recommended by TLS 1776, in the long run it isn't THAT expensive and I can make that much bartending for a weekend. I have 4 months so I there is time to go ahead and read them; and I should be familiar with most of the concepts already, thus allowing me to move more quickly through the material.

When it comes to canceling, I guess I figure I can't get a worse score than I got yesterday, so the only real advantage is concretely knowing what I got. But I already have an idea of the range I'm performing in now, and will only refine that knowledge with performing numerous PrepTests. Hopefully, my score will increase substantially and I will secure a good score in October, and I'm assuming it would be more advantageous to have a single high score than a mid score like 160-162 as well as a higher score. Basically, I trust in my abilities to score no worse than 160-162 in October, so I don't really see the need for having this score from June on my record, when I'm guaranteed at least that and probably (hopefully) significantly higher in October...

Are cancellations frowned upon more-so than middle of the pack scores like low 160s?




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cctv, slizerd, ThatOneAfrican and 7 guests