Requesting a hand scoring

Helicio

Requesting a hand scoring

Postby Helicio » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:01 pm

Always paranoid about it being scored wrong.

Can we request it to be handscored before our score comes out, or do we have to wait?

Thanks.

rinkrat19

Re: Requesting a hand scoring

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:04 pm

You literally get to see a scan of your answer sheet and which answer you were credited for on each question. You can score it yourself and say 'hey, this doesn't match up with what they got.' Then request it.

tlink1990

Postby tlink1990 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:07 pm

I'm afraid I messed up filling in the scan sheet. On my last section, I answered them all just in time. But, after the proctor called time, I realized I only filled in 22 questions instead of the 23 on the test. Now I am extremely worried I skipped a question by accident. Should I cancel my score?? Or should I just wait and see???

Helicio

Postby Helicio » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:07 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:You literally get to see a scan of your answer sheet and which answer you were credited for on each question. You can score it yourself and say 'hey, this doesn't match up with what they got.' Then request it.

Oh really? Awesome. THanks man.

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:09 pm

tlink1990 wrote:I'm afraid I messed up filling in the scan sheet. On my last section, I answered them all just in time. But, after the proctor called time, I realized I only filled in 22 questions instead of the 23 on the test. Now I am extremely worried I skipped a question by accident. Should I cancel my score?? Or should I just wait and see???

I'd cancel because if you misbubbled from question 3 down, that's gonna ruin your score.

Band A Long

Postby Band A Long » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:10 pm

tlink1990 wrote:I'm afraid I messed up filling in the scan sheet. On my last section, I answered them all just in time. But, after the proctor called time, I realized I only filled in 22 questions instead of the 23 on the test. Now I am extremely worried I skipped a question by accident. Should I cancel my score?? Or should I just wait and see???

Is this your first take?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:11 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:

I'd cancel because if you misbubbled from question 3 down, that's gonna ruin your score.
OTOH, if he just double-bubbled #22, that's only 2 questions screwed up and could be as little as 1 point score difference.

I would rather know at least how I would have done, and thus know how to better prepare for October, than to have no clue whatsoever. Unless you're gunning for HYS and you're worried about averaging scores, a lower first score isn't going to hurt you.

tlink1990

Postby tlink1990 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:11 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:

I intentionally skipped one question (it was in the middle between 12-15) and when I went back I got the answer and bubbled it in. So I know it had to happen after that. I'm hoping I just circled the last question instead of filling it in because I was rushing to answer the question I originally skipped

tlink1990

Postby tlink1990 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:12 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:

OTOH, if he just double-bubbled #22, that's only 2 questions screwed up and could be as little as 1 point score difference.

I would rather know at least how I would have done, and thus know how to better prepare for October, than to have no clue whatsoever. Unless you're gunning for HYS and you're worried about averaging scores, a lower first score isn't going to hurt you.

What's HYS? But, really thanks for your help. Do they always average the scores?

LexLeon

Postby LexLeon » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:18 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:

The evidence on which I'm drawing is anecdotal at best, but:

I think it's possible for someone to be credited for everything she would have gotten correct if her answers were shifted a space, via a hand score. The reasoning is that the scorer would realize that if someone says:

"I accidentally skipped the bubble for question 3, but from there down all of my answers were intended."

and, say, 18 of 20 questions are the CR's, that it would be extremely unlikely that the handscore-claimer's story is false.

I vaguely remember a post where someone mentioned this. I'm mentioning it now because it may be a bit imprudent to cancel without figuring out whether this is a possibility.

tlink1990

Postby tlink1990 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:21 pm

Band A Long wrote:

Is this your first take?

Yes

tlink1990

Postby tlink1990 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:26 pm

LexLeon wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:

The evidence on which I'm drawing is anecdotal at best, but:

I think it's possible for someone to be credited for everything she would have gotten correct if her answers were shifted a space, via a hand score. The reasoning is that the scorer would realize that if someone says:

"I accidentally skipped the bubble for question 3, but from there down all of my answers were intended."

and, say, 18 of 20 questions are the CR's, that it would be extremely unlikely that the handscore-claimer's story is false.

I vaguely remember a post where someone mentioned this. I'm mentioning it now because it may be a bit imprudent to cancel without figuring out whether this is a possibility.

Wow, that would be awesome.

Without getting into specifics, I know for a fact I skipped one question. But I had time (like 30 seconds) after I finished the last question to go back to the question I skipped. When I went to fill in my bubble, I did leave that space blank. So I didn't question my accuracy or diligence in my bubble marking. It wasn't until the proctor called time when I noticed I had one less question.

Still, I wouldn't put it past me to just circle an answer without bubbling it in. And then moving on to the next question.

I am so upset because I thought I did pretty well overall. Especially for my first time.

Postby 03152016 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:30 pm

Last edited by 03152016 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:03 pm

Max324 wrote:Yeah, I remember that post too. Definitely check with LSAC, OP.

I'm pretty sure they use a 'clear and convincing' standard for those reevals, so 18/20 would probably meet that burden, while 10/20 probably wouldn't. LSAC doesn't really give hard rules for these things, so it can make the decision harder. Definitely call LSAC and ask, though.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”