Perstephanie

Re: June LSATHelp: filing cimplain to test center

Postby Perstephanie » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:41 am

That got out of hand quick.

TRex77

Postby TRex77 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:54 am

Cut and pasted this from my thread:

So just got back from the test. (this is my 2nd time taking it). I was insanely prepared, averaging 164-168. Honestly would have even been happy with a 163.

The test was pretty much my worst nightmare come to fruition.

I am going to write a letter to LSAC and try to get my test removed from my record, and if not that, at least cancelled.

Here is what happened, and why I think it's enough for them to delete my scores, or whatever it's called:

(I am raging so hard right now, but am trying to keep calm).

1. The location on the test ticket was wrong.
2. They moved location of the test 2 times. I was running around like a freaking chicken with its head cut off. Ran all around campus looking for anything LSAT. Finally found 3 ladies sitting on a picnic table off to the side of a building with a tiny LSAT sign that was laying on the table, not even drapped over the edge so you could read it.
3. Once a group of people had gathered at location 2, they made us walk about 200 yards to these shitty portables. (I originally signed up for this location because it was were I took it in December and I wanted everything to be the same. They had us take it in a different building, not even a building, a goddamn portable).
4. So it was probably 90-100 degrees outside (California). It wasn't cool when we go into the room, but it wasn't necessarily hot. The proctors said that they had requested that the AC be turned on and that it would cool down after a while. So the first section goes by and it's not the most comfortable temperature, but it's reasonable. During the 2nd and 3rd sections the room was a sauna. I was actually dripping sweat onto my test booklet. After our break they decided to open to doors because it was cooler outside (It was 95 degrees when I got back to my car, so take into account that my car was probably hotter than the actual air temperature, but also that the bulk of the test had taken place 2 hrs before when it was hotter). Sow now the door is open, which is kind of distracting because of the noise outside, but it's better than a 100 degree silent sauna.

I am not sure about most people, but when I am very hot I cannot think. A couple weeks ago I took a test in the middle of the day and accadentally left the window open and it got up to around 90 degrees and i did horrible. So you can imagine the flash backs I started getting as I was dripping sweat onto my test booklet as I am sweating through the problems.

So there is my rant. I am definitely cancelling, which sucks cause I studied so goddamn much, like everyone. I have heard of people getting tests wiped from their records (so schools can't even see you cancelled). Is this a good argument? I mean I think I even should be refunded my test fee. It was honestly the worst testing conditions I could ever think about. I could take the test tomorrow and do very well, but because of the testing conditions and circumstances, it fucked me.

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:35 am

jing87 wrote:
For instance, Dalai Lama, most American think he is spiritual leader, but most Chinese including me consider he is a big jerk. How do you know our country, from internet?TV?Magazine? Have you ever lived in China for one day? Don't judge other country's human rights if you never experienced their culture yourself,I am the person wearing the shoes , and I know it's fit or not better than you do.

First off, the existence of 56 ethnic groups is a laughable defense against the claim that China is a homogeneous country. Yeah, harmonious society, blah, blah, blah, but the fact is China is 92% Han. It's actually one of the least ethnically diverse countries in the world. There's nothing wrong with that, of course. But you should realize that different countries have different attitudes about race and bringing up that topic in certain contexts is taboo. In America, many, many people will pick up on the type of language you used in your original post and find it very off-putting.

For your own benefit, you should try to understand this. If you don't, you'll run into problems and one misunderstood remark in the wrong situation could ruin your career. But feel free to ignore the plethora of good advice you're getting here. Your posts make you seem quite stubborn and unwilling to listen to reason. Having spent a lot of time living in China, I can confidently say that these are not particularly common traits of Chinese people. Therefore, you don't really have anyone to blame but yourself.:)

Helicio

Postby Helicio » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:40 am

[quote="jing87]
For instance, Dalai Lama, most American think he is spiritual leader, but most Chinese including me consider he is a big jerk. How do you know our country, from internet?TV?Magazine? Have you ever lived in China for one day? Don't judge other country's human rights if you never experienced their culture yourself,I am the person wearing the shoes , and I know it's fit or not better than you do.[/quote]

I have been to China and love China. But jingoism on either side is stupid. China clearly has human rights problems, especially in the northwest.

I'm sorry for your horrible test day, though. It was such a nerve-wracking experience. Take it in October and own it!

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:44 am

+1

May I suggest taking it at Notre Dame, Wheaton College or any Weslyen

jing87

Postby jing87 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:47 am

anon sequitur wrote:
jing87 wrote:
For instance, Dalai Lama, most American think he is spiritual leader, but most Chinese including me consider he is a big jerk. How do you know our country, from internet?TV?Magazine? Have you ever lived in China for one day? Don't judge other country's human rights if you never experienced their culture yourself,I am the person wearing the shoes , and I know it's fit or not better than you do.

First off, the existence of 56 ethnic groups is a laughable defense against the claim that China is a homogeneous country. Yeah, harmonious society, blah, blah, blah, but the fact is China is 92% Han. It's actually one of the least ethnically diverse countries in the world. There's nothing wrong with that, of course. But you should realize that different countries have different attitudes about race and bringing up that topic in certain contexts is taboo. In America, many, many people will pick up on the type of language you used in your original post and find it very off-putting.

For your own benefit, you should try to understand this. If you don't, you'll run into problems and one misunderstood remark in the wrong situation could ruin your career. But feel free to ignore the plethora of good advice you're getting here. Your posts make you seem quite stubborn and unwilling to listen to reason. Having spent a lot of time living in China, I can confidently say that these are not particularly common traits of Chinese people. Therefore, you don't really have anyone to blame but yourself.:)

For guys who criticize my post at Monday night almost 2am, I don't think he did that because I brought some American taboo or he is so nice just can't wait go give me ,the foreigner a lessons. The only explanations are:
1) He doesn't have a job to get up for tomorrow morning.
2)He doesn't have a girl to bang tonight.
Either way, I feel sorry for you.

IgosduIkana

Postby IgosduIkana » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:47 am

MillerTheThriller wrote:+1

May I suggest taking it at Notre Dame, Wheaton College or any Weslyen

bahahahahahaha

jing87

Postby jing87 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:50 am

Helicio wrote:[

Northwest, exactly where I am from,tell me something I don"t know. I don;t know if I am brainwashed by Chinese government or something, but the more I live here, the less I think China has human right problem.

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:00 am

jing87 wrote:Either way, I feel sorry for you.

Your sympathies are appreciated. I have to admit, I do like antagonizing people on forums. It's a weakness. Oh, and by the way, Taiwan is not part of China.:)

jing87

Postby jing87 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:03 am

anon sequitur wrote:
jing87 wrote:Either way, I feel sorry for you.

Your sympathies are appreciated. I have to admit, I do like antagonizing people on forums. It's a weakness. Oh, and by the way, Taiwan is not part of China.:)

God bless America, should use those money intruding Iraq to offer their kids more geography/history class.

nortedesotu

Postby nortedesotu » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:27 am

qwertabc wrote:
jing87 wrote:
anon sequitur wrote:
ben4847 wrote:OP, I'm sorry you had a hard time. I think you should consider canceling your score IF you believe you did that poorly.

Welcome to america; land of the free and home of the brave.

It's true, he or she doesn't get it, and needs to to get along in this society, but to be fair to the OP, this is not an attitude that is particularly common throughout the world. I would tend to agree it's a nice thing we do, but it is literally a foreign concept in many cultures (particularly those with a largely homogeneous population, e.g., China).

Dude, we have 56 kind of minorities in our country , we never treated other race as slaves, also we never killed and kicked other native people out of their land to build our country.
I am complaining about test center and you guys can't stop about racial issues ,you think this really can make you guys sound noble ?

The test center complaints you mentioned are completely valid and everyone agrees that they are worthy of your frustration. Lets leave history aside since every nation has things in their past that they are not proud of (US and slavery, The British were pretty awful to the Scots and Irish in the past, etc. etc. and China definitely has a share in the world's moral crimes which perhaps they do not emphasize in history classes there...no country has a perfect history (or present!) but now back to the main topic)

Its exactly like you said "Pretty sure if I posted"today I took LSAT, some short students came to interrupt us"...there would be some people reply: what's wrong of short people?are you against short people?how can you against short people?you"re such a liar, the short people I know could never do this!"

In the United States we simply don't include that detail. You can decide whether you like that or not but its simply not how its done. My advice then is the classic sentence "When in Rome do as the Romans". If 20 asian/black/white/jewish/indian/short/tall students/kids/adults/teenagers/ ran in the room you can call simply call just them assholes. Unless the description is relevant do not include it. If I was mugged obviously its perfectly acceptable to describe the person to the fullest detail but lets say if there was an annoying person in line in front of me in the DMV (the fact if the person was hispanic/white/black/asian/indian is unimportant. He was just an annoying person.

What if adding that the women in front of you at the DMV was black/asian/indian/hispanic/white added to the story. The type of person in a story is an important detail as to the possible idiosyncrasies that person may be exhibiting. Doing this would add to the description of the experience. Why is it always the case that if race is brought up, that person is being racist? The amount of PC ITT is ridiculous. PC is used to shut a person up from some constructed moral high-ground, that is all.

omegaomega

Postby omegaomega » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:55 am

Hi OP,
It was fun reading this thread. Your language is very expressive and you have great argumentative skills, despite the grammar issues. I think you can make a great lawyer.

I have not even the slightest doubt that you have no issue whatsoever with the Jewish people. The fact that you mentioned Jews multiple times in your post testifies to this: not only are you not antisemitic, you don't get antisemitism at all, at least you are not aware of it enough to be consciously avoiding it all the time.

I'm not surprised of what you said because I'm a Chinese myself. We're not taught the systematic discrimination against Jews in history, except a fleeting mention in history books of WWII and the holocaust, because we are not the perpetrator of the crime. We do not have the original sin of killing millions of Jews and we do not pay extra attention not to offend them, advertent or inadvertently. You mentioned the Jewish school just as you may have mentioned a hip-pop dancing school or an Asian language school. It's just some special feature about the school and it happens that it's a Jewish school.

However, you may want to understand why some people appeared to be so offended. You did not pick on Jews, but some people do. People mistook you as a racist because there are racists out there. And I think their sensitivity is legitimate. They have been victims to racial biases and paid huge price for putting up with the little discriminations. They misunderstood you, but this is something that one had better error on the safe side.

Further, even if you had absolutely nothing against the Jewish people, you could have incited some anti-Semitic feelings in some racists. It is not impossible that there was some damage done by your inadvertent remarks. Even if no damage is done, at list some psychological disturbance in is caused. One cannot be too careful.

All in all, I think Chinese in general are not sensitive enough to racial issues, because we are not brought up in an environment where ethnic issues are a salient problem (even if there are ethnic issues, we're hidden from them). But the U.S. is another country. As the Chinese saying goes, when you enter another town, you follow their customs. Hope OP can have some takeaways from this whole episode.

p.s. Re OP's original question, I'm thinking if there're a lot of people complaining, maybe you can have a better chance of redress? So you may consider finding other victims of this test center.

delfen

Postby delfen » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:54 pm

a
Last edited by delfen on Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User_Name

Postby User_Name » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:47 am

don't understand why everyone gets so obsessed... it's just a cultural gap!

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:26 am

roaringeagle wrote:I cried reading your butchery of the English language.

"to make a complain"

"just can't image"

Also, your story sounds like racist bullshit. Teenagers in a college? Also what school calls itself "Talmudic College" That's like a Catholic School calling itself New Testament College.

You can get all the answers by simply google the school's name,but probably that is too hard for some single cell creature ,for whom the only thing he can be proud of is his dad's best swimmer made him a native speaker.[/quote]

Lol. I just assumed you were lying. If you look at pictures of the people in Talmudic University which I still think is a retarded name, you will see that they are not teenagers. Where did the teenagers come from? Perhaps the college has an outreach program to some tough love Jewish teenager school. I have had many Jewish friends growing up, none of whom would do the things you describe.[/quote]

You never cwawl.

rabbitrun

Postby rabbitrun » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:21 am

I love this thread. This is so stupid.

Postby 03152016 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:32 am

Asian Jew checking in. I am offend.

maxmartin

Postby maxmartin » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:59 pm

anon sequitur wrote:
ben4847 wrote:OP, I'm sorry you had a hard time. I think you should consider canceling your score IF you believe you did that poorly.

Welcome to america; land of the free and home of the brave.

It's true, he or she doesn't get it, and needs to to get along in this society, but to be fair to the OP, this is not an attitude that is particularly common throughout the world. I would tend to agree it's a nice thing we do, but it is literally a foreign concept in many cultures (particularly those with a largely homogeneous population, e.g., China).

Agree, most part of China is very homogeneous, so people there are very insensitive about racial languages. So I don't think OP was trying to offend anyone, she just was insensitive about particular language use.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:07 am

Why was this piece of shit necroed? Even after 4 days nobody should have touched it with a 10 foot pole.

Noblesse_Oblige

Postby Noblesse_Oblige » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:02 am

Fletcher Reed wrote:OP is mad that they made her take her (white) hood off.

What the fuck are you implying there? Is she an assassin? Because that is pretty badass.
But really, maybe she just felt the quantifiers were necessary, (They weren't) Doesn't mean she's a Klans(wo)man

roaringeagle wrote:I cried reading your butchery of the English language.

"to make a complain"

"just can't image"

Also, your story sounds like racist bullshit. Teenagers in a college? Also what school calls itself "Talmudic College" That's like a Catholic School calling itself New Testament College.

You can get all the answers by simply google the school's name,but probably that is too hard for some single cell creature ,for whom the only thing he can be proud of is his dad's best swimmer made him a native speaker.[/quote]

Lol. I just assumed you were lying. If you look at pictures of the people in Talmudic University which I still think is a retarded name, you will see that they are not teenagers. Where did the teenagers come from? Perhaps the college has an outreach program to some tough love Jewish teenager school. I have had many Jewish friends growing up, none of whom would do the things you describe.[/quote]

1) Poor schools often offer Advanced level courses for high schoolers.
___1 a) Many 17 and 18 year olds are in college, which is a teenager.
2) Assuming you don't have thousands of Jewish friends evenly distributed around the world, I don't think your sample size is representative. That is like saying, "I have some white friends, and they don't murder people, so that murderer must not be white"

3) Sounds like you are just butt hurt that she scored a higher PT than you (Or you are a HUGE fan of the Jewish people, and are mad that she mentioned that they are Jewish too much

Too late now, I hope you complained and cancelled your score (If you are really going to a school that averages, there are only like 3, if not, it doesn't matter)

And if you do retake, just look at it this way: Now you have more time to study, and more time to earn an even higher score than you would have anyway!

Either way, GOOD LUCK!

chup

Postby chup » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:44 pm

This thread is a clusterfuck of absurd concern-trolling.

Congratulations, you people are exactly why everyone hates lawyers.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:06 pm

chup wrote:This thread is a clusterfuck of absurd concern-trolling.

Congratulations, you people are exactly why everyone hates lawyers.

Hmm, I thought I locked this thread. Maybe I accidentally locked another thread.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”