June LSATHelp: filing cimplain to test center

Nova

Re: June LSATHelp: filing cimplain to test center

Postby Nova » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:09 pm

iowalum wrote:
...Seriously? Being inconsiderate, loud, and unobservant are descriptors applicable to EVERY teenager. Except apparently the ones you know. Still not sure why you're so shocked/confused/concerned by this.

What is confusing is that a group of young people decided to sabotage an LSAT administration for no apparent reason.

jing87

Postby jing87 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:16 pm

MeSoLitigious wrote:OP, I'm sorry you had a hard time. I think you should consider canceling your score IF you believe you did that poorly.

Since it seems you are new to the country, I'll explain something to you that can make your stay here happier. When you are describing a person or a group of people, the only time you should characterize them by their race/religion/ethnicity/national origin is when that info is RELEVANT to the topic of conversation. Otherwise, in America, all people are just people, in theory anyway. It's the basis of our nation actually. So when you repeatedly described the troublemakers as JEWS, it gives the impression that their religion was relevant to the discussion as you see it. Otherwise, you would have said that "students" "teenagers" or "punks" "obnoxious kids" "idiots" or "jerks" rushed in and out of the room. Can you understand this? This is why people got offended by your post. If you don't want to offend people and look like a racist, then try seeing and talking about people as just people, with no mention of race/religion/ethnicity etc.

I looked up my original post, I use 'Jewish student' twice and I think it's relative, since it's a Jewish school and they are Jewish,simply just a description. As I stressed again and again here, I am not here against Jewish (I dated a few in fact). When I went to graduate school here, my American professor always called me "China" , but I never felt it is offensive.For those person who are too sensitive about some words, what can I say,he probably should get a new hobby.
I see some one here playing the racial card, the reason I am trying to ignorant him is, as people in my country always say:
Don't argue with a dick, if you lose, people will say you are worse than a dick; if you win, does "you're better than a dick" sound like a compliment?

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:28 pm

jing87 wrote:
MeSoLitigious wrote:OP, I'm sorry you had a hard time. I think you should consider canceling your score IF you believe you did that poorly.

Since it seems you are new to the country, I'll explain something to you that can make your stay here happier. When you are describing a person or a group of people, the only time you should characterize them by their race/religion/ethnicity/national origin is when that info is RELEVANT to the topic of conversation. Otherwise, in America, all people are just people, in theory anyway. It's the basis of our nation actually. So when you repeatedly described the troublemakers as JEWS, it gives the impression that their religion was relevant to the discussion as you see it. Otherwise, you would have said that "students" "teenagers" or "punks" "obnoxious kids" "idiots" or "jerks" rushed in and out of the room. Can you understand this? This is why people got offended by your post. If you don't want to offend people and look like a racist, then try seeing and talking about people as just people, with no mention of race/religion/ethnicity etc.

I looked up my original post, I use 'Jewish student' twice and I think it's relative, since it's a Jewish school and they are Jewish,simply just a description. As I stressed again and again here, I am not here against Jewish (I dated a few in fact). When I went to graduate school here, my American professor always called me "China" , but I never felt it is offensive.For those person who are too sensitive about some words, what can I say,he probably should get a new hobby.
I see some one here playing the racial card, the reason I am trying to ignorant him is, as people in my country always say:
Don't argue with a dick, if you lose, people will say you are worse than a dick; if you win, does "you're better than a dick" sound like a compliment?

You still don't get it. It is only descriptive if it could possibly be relevant.
So, the same way you didn't describe them as short, or tall, or having big ears, or small d----, you don't tell us if they are white or black or jewish or asian or alien. If you do tell us that, it means you consider it relevant.

Welcome to america; land of the free and home of the brave.

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:34 pm

jing87 wrote:
I looked up my original post, I used 'Jewish student' twice and I think it's relevant, since it's a Jewish school and they are Jewish,simply just a description. As I stressed again and again here, I am not here against Jewish people(I dated a few in fact). When I went to graduate school here, my American professor always called me "China" , but I never felt it was offensive.For those people who are too sensitive about some words, what can I say,they probably should get a new hobby.
I see some one here playing the racial card, the reason I am trying to ignore him is, as people in my country always say:

Dude, thats fucked up. I would have told that professor to STFU and to call me by my first name.

anon sequitur

Postby anon sequitur » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:36 pm

ben4847 wrote:OP, I'm sorry you had a hard time. I think you should consider canceling your score IF you believe you did that poorly.

It's true, he or she doesn't get it, and needs to to get along in this society, but to be fair to the OP, this is not an attitude that is particularly common throughout the world. I would tend to agree it's a nice thing we do, but it is literally a foreign concept in many cultures (particularly those with a largely homogeneous population, e.g., China).

iowalum

Postby iowalum » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:38 pm

Nova wrote:
iowalum wrote:
...Seriously? Being inconsiderate, loud, and unobservant are descriptors applicable to EVERY teenager. Except apparently the ones you know. Still not sure why you're so shocked/confused/concerned by this.

What is confusing is that a group of young people decided to sabotage an LSAT administration for no apparent reason.

a) What teenager besides the super nerdy knows what the LSAT is? (much less understand the importance)

b) Having (I'm assuming) been a former teenager, It shouldn't surprise you that these kids would be more concerned about getting their stuff/what they're texting about next/etc. to think that they might be interrupting. These kids aren't saints or anything. Most of the time they're just absorbed in their own world and not really concerned with a 'Do Not Disturb' sign.

jing87

Postby jing87 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:38 pm

ben4847 wrote:
jing87 wrote:

You still don't get it. It is only descriptive if it could possibly be relevant.
So, the same way you didn't describe them as short, or tall, or having big ears, or small d----, you don't tell us if they are white or black or jewish or asian or alien. If you do tell us that, it means you consider it relevant.

Pretty sure if I posted"today I took LSAT, some short students came to interrupt us"...there would be some people reply: what's wrong of short people?are you against short people?how can you against short people?you"re such a liar, the short people I know could never do this!
Some people just too bore and need someone to bark to.

jing87

Postby jing87 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:47 pm

anon sequitur wrote:
ben4847 wrote:OP, I'm sorry you had a hard time. I think you should consider canceling your score IF you believe you did that poorly.

It's true, he or she doesn't get it, and needs to to get along in this society, but to be fair to the OP, this is not an attitude that is particularly common throughout the world. I would tend to agree it's a nice thing we do, but it is literally a foreign concept in many cultures (particularly those with a largely homogeneous population, e.g., China).

Dude, we have 56 kind of minorities in our country , we never treated other race as slaves, also we never killed and kicked other native people out of their land to build our country.
I am complaining about test center and you guys can't stop about racial issues ,you think this really can make you guys sound noble ?

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:48 pm

jing87 wrote:
anon sequitur wrote:

Dude, we have 56 kind of minorities in our country , we never treated other race as slaves, also we never killed and kicked other native people out of their land to build our country.
I am complaining about test center and you guys can't stop about racial issues ,you think this really can make you guys sound noble ?

oh you didn't, did you? Why don't you tell us what country you are from, and we'll do a bit of wikipediaing.

jing87

Postby jing87 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:53 pm

ben4847 wrote:
jing87 wrote:
anon sequitur wrote:

oh you didn't, did you? Why don't you tell us what country you are from, and we'll do a bit of wikipediaing.

I did, you are obviously too busy to fire back and didn't read what I said.

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:59 pm

jing87 wrote:None of the Jewish people I know would act that way either. It is a college, but there are students at different age group, I am not sure if that is some outreach program, but the school seems very poor, their library (also our test center) is in a trailer.

Try some self reflection. Maybe you shouldnt have signed up to take the LSAT in a trailer...

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:02 am

jing87 wrote:
anon sequitur wrote:

Oh china! Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

jing87

Postby jing87 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:04 am

Nova wrote:
jing87 wrote:None of the Jewish people I know would act that way either. It is a college, but there are students at different age group, I am not sure if that is some outreach program, but the school seems very poor, their library (also our test center) is in a trailer.

Try some self reflection. Maybe you shouldnt have signed up to take the LSAT in a trailer...

You are right, I definitely should pick up a decent university as test center next time .

jing87

Postby jing87 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:05 am

ben4847 wrote:
jing87 wrote:
anon sequitur wrote:

Oh china! Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

Now who is the racist here (and someone obviously should start subscribing National Geography so he won't just know other countries from his grandpa's history book)

qwertabc

Postby qwertabc » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:07 am

jing87 wrote:
anon sequitur wrote:

The test center complaints you mentioned are completely valid and everyone agrees that they are worthy of your frustration. Lets leave history aside since every nation has things in their past that they are not proud of (US and slavery, The British were pretty awful to the Scots and Irish in the past, etc. etc. and China definitely has a share in the world's moral crimes which perhaps they do not emphasize in history classes there...no country has a perfect history (or present!) but now back to the main topic)

Its exactly like you said "Pretty sure if I posted"today I took LSAT, some short students came to interrupt us"...there would be some people reply: what's wrong of short people?are you against short people?how can you against short people?you"re such a liar, the short people I know could never do this!"

In the United States we simply don't include that detail. You can decide whether you like that or not but its simply not how its done. My advice then is the classic sentence "When in Rome do as the Romans". If 20 asian/black/white/jewish/indian/short/tall students/kids/adults/teenagers/ ran in the room you can call simply call just them assholes. Unless the description is relevant do not include it. If I was mugged obviously its perfectly acceptable to describe the person to the fullest detail but lets say if there was an annoying person in line in front of me in the DMV (the fact if the person was hispanic/white/black/asian/indian is unimportant. He was just an annoying person.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:09 am

Omg, am I a self-hating Jew because I don't give a fuck she kept calling all the kids Jewish?? It's called the TALMUDIC SCHOOL, of course they're all Jewish! Seriously people who gives a shit that she is using a descriptive word to describe people?? She didn't say "they acted this way BECAUSE they're Jewish," or anything like that.

Besides, if she didn't add that description I wouldn't have pictured a bunch of pimply, curly-haired, skinny ass Jews acting in those roles. So it definitively added to my proper understanding of the post :D

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:19 am

Jing wrote:Now who is the racist here (and someone obviously should start subscribing National Geography so he won't just know other countries from his grandpa's history book)

To be fair, hes attacking the country, not the race who mostly comprise it.

Welcome to TLS, Jing. Where your logic and grammar will be scrutinized and criticized relentlessly by internet warriors.
Last edited by Nova on Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Helicio

Postby Helicio » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:19 am

jing87 wrote:
anon sequitur wrote:

LOL @ a Chinese person loling at the US's human rights record after its own record since the 40s...

MeSoLitigious

Postby MeSoLitigious » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:21 am

I can understand that the OP is upset. S/he can't really "hear" us right now. After s/he gets in repeated heated arguments, alienates American classmates and co-workers and gets labeled as "difficult to work with" because s/he refuses to make an effort not to offend, maybe then s/he will change. Or be like some other immigrants who only spend time with people from their native country. Till then, I've done what I can to help out.

It's hard to adapt to the morals of another country. (Anti-semitism is a MORAL issue here. Maybe not where you come from, but here it is) I know a few Americans who live and work in China, and they are having difficulty with some of the cultural aspects there. It's very hard to live according to a lifestyle, culture, and mindset so different from your own.

Just for the last time, to be as clear as I can before I go to sleep: in America, making an effort to not be a bigot will benefit you. If you say things that offend people and sound bigoted, it will cause problems for you. You don't care about offending other people and upsetting them; fine. But you will eventually pay a price for this.

Oh, and the "I've even dated some" is not really helping you. Plenty of people are in interracial or intercultural relationships but they still have a totally fucked up concept of the group their partner belongs to.

Best of luck to you.

Honey_Badger

Postby Honey_Badger » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:22 am

Micdiddy wrote:Omg, am I a self-hating Jew because I don't give a fuck she kept calling all the kids Jewish?? It's called the TALMUDIC SCHOOL, of course they're all Jewish! Seriously people who gives a shit that she is using a descriptive word to describe people?? She didn't say "they acted this way BECAUSE they're Jewish," or anything like that.

Besides, if she didn't add that description I wouldn't have pictured a bunch of pimply, curly-haired, skinny ass Jews acting in those roles. So it definitively added to my proper understanding of the post :D

This. Thanks, Micdiddy.

And, as I previously posted, it was relevant to mention the student's religion (at the RELIGIOUS SCHOOL) because it points out WHY the students felt it necessary to enter the room in a constant flow to retrieve their hats and jackets--because they are RELIGIOUS garments.

The window-pounding and screaming at us was just because they are teenagers. For the other poster, they knew it was the LSAT because there were signs all over saying "LSAT" with big arrows pointing to the trailer.

You're right. Next time I won't "choose" to take the LSAT in a trailer. I'll be one of the self-righteous, entitled snobs that calls LSAC and demands to know the room number of the only testing location--the one that's an hour away. That sounds MUCH more reasonable.

jing87

Postby jing87 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:24 am

Nova wrote:
Jing wrote:Now who is the racist here (and someone obviously should start subscribing National Geography so he won't just know other countries from his grandpa's history book)

To be fair, hes attacking the country, not the race who mostly comprise it.

Welcome to TLS, Jing. Where your logic and grammar will be scrutinized and criticized relentlessly by internet warriors.

:D Thanks, it's really really fun here ,you can see some smart people also some damn ass acting they are smart.

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:27 am

MeSoLitigious wrote:Oh, and the "I've even dated some" is not really helping you. Plenty of people are in interracial or intercultural relationships but they still have a totally fucked up concept of the group their partner belongs to.

Reminds me of my Dad. Marries a Mexican. Hates Mexicans.

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:28 am

Nova wrote:
MeSoLitigious wrote:Oh, and the "I've even dated some" is not really helping you. Plenty of people are in interracial or intercultural relationships but they still have a totally fucked up concept of the group their partner belongs to.

Reminds me of my Dad. Marries a Mexican. Hates Mexicans.

Reminds me of my Dad also. Married my mom. Hates my mom.

jing87

Postby jing87 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:29 am

Helicio wrote:
jing87 wrote:
anon sequitur wrote:

LOL @ a Chinese person loling at the US's human rights record after its own record since the 40s...

For instance, Dalai Lama, most American think he is spiritual leader, but most Chinese including me consider he is a big jerk. How do you know our country, from internet?TV?Magazine? Have you ever lived in China for one day? Don't judge other country's human rights if you never experienced their culture yourself,I am the person wearing the shoes , and I know it's fit or not better than you do.

jing87

Postby jing87 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:35 am

MeSoLitigious wrote:I can understand that the OP is upset. S/he can't really "hear" us right now. After s/he gets in repeated heated arguments, alienates American classmates and co-workers and gets labeled as "difficult to work with" because s/he refuses to make an effort not to offend, maybe then s/he will change. Or be like some other immigrants who only spend time with people from their native country. Till then, I've done what I can to help out.

It's hard to adapt to the morals of another country. (Anti-semitism is a MORAL issue here. Maybe not where you come from, but here it is) I know a few Americans who live and work in China, and they are having difficulty with some of the cultural aspects there. It's very hard to live according to a lifestyle, culture, and mindset so different from your own.

Just for the last time, to be as clear as I can before I go to sleep: in America, making an effort to not be a bigot will benefit you. If you say things that offend people and sound bigoted, it will cause problems for you. You don't care about offending other people and upsetting them; fine. But you will eventually pay a price for this.

Oh, and the "I've even dated some" is not really helping you. Plenty of people are in interracial or intercultural relationships but they still have a totally fucked up concept of the group their partner belongs to.

Best of luck to you.

Congratulations to that good swimmer, makes you think you are at a position to give other people lessons.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”