Can anyone top this? Let's hear some horror stories!

UtilityMonster

Re: Can anyone top this? Let's hear some horror stories!

Postby UtilityMonster » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:35 am

My proctor's cell phone went off during the exam. It was in her bag across the room, and she slowly walked to turn it off. Unreal.

phillykid

Postby phillykid » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:46 am

Greeno wrote:
phillykid wrote:So I get to the test center wait about 15 min. The proctor appears and announces that we're going to separate into 3 different rooms. So I go to my room and there is no AC. So I was mad but not freaking out. Then as the proctor is reading the instructions (and the windows are open or it would have been 100 in there) we hear construction outside...they were cutting wood with a saw!!! One kid in particular was freaking out and let the proctor know he wasn't going to take the test in such an environment (of course no one objected). After about 20 min of confusion we were moved to another building in the basement. We got down there and began shortly. I purposely drank little water in the morning and pee'd numerous times prior to the test. But with the 30-35 min delay I had to pee soooooo bad by section 3 I literally couldn't think. So I stared at the test for about a minute debating whether or not to go and pee... I had no choice. Luckily, I was still able to finish all the questions (but I'm sure I missed a couple due to rushing). Oh and to top it off the woman next to me was coughing the entire test. FML.

I guess it could have been worse, but I have to admit I was not prepared for this!

Hey man, I was there! I'm pretty sure you were directly to my left, a little bit forward. I was in between you and the kid that freaked out, and you were between me and the coughing lady. I'm not sure which was funnier, the guy who went nuts over the leisurely construction outside, or the coughing middle-aged lady who literally started with 10 pencils, highlighters, a watch, tissues, and her ID on her desk, only to casually smack all of her possessions onto the floor about 2 minutes into each section. Classic.

Green shirt? Or were you the kid with black and red shoes? Every time that lady hit something off her desk I was expecting her to reach down immediately but everything just stayed there lol. Normally I can't stand the pretentious kid who sounded like Jim Rome, but in this case he had a point and I'm happy he made such a fuss.
Last edited by phillykid on Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

unitball

Postby unitball » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:56 am

OP are you asian by any chance? If so, I remember when you busted into the bathroom.

guinness1547

Postby guinness1547 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:22 am

Last edited by guinness1547 on Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

katesearches

Postby katesearches » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:25 am

I had a few proctors in my room. I talked with some of them before the test (checking in, etc) and they were pretty nice and friendly.

During the actual test though, the proctor on my side of the room would walk across EACH row and hover in front of the person for a few seconds (scanning the test or something). I don't know if the other proctors did this (since I never had the leisure to look up and spare the minute to observe), but it was SO annoying.

She stood so closely, that I know at least we were maybe an inch or two apart, and just stare down at you. My shoulders would literally tense up when she got so close to me and it'd throw me off/ I'd start re-reading the question/ losing my train of thought.

After about 2 sections, I figured out that the best thing to do was to when she came around every few minutes was to look at the seconds on my watch (it made the time go by quicker, and the hovering wasn't as long as it seemed 5-10 seconds max), and waited until she stopped breathing over me to resume reading.

TRex77

Postby TRex77 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:00 am

cut and pasted from my thread:

So just got back from the test. (this is my 2nd time taking it). I was insanely prepared, averaging 164-168. Honestly would have even been happy with a 163.

The test was pretty much my worst nightmare come to fruition.

I am going to write a letter to LSAC and try to get my test removed from my record, and if not that, at least cancelled.

Here is what happened, and why I think it's enough for them to delete my scores, or whatever it's called:

(I am raging so hard right now, but am trying to keep calm).

1. The location on the test ticket was wrong.
2. They moved location of the test 2 times. I was running around like a freaking chicken with its head cut off. Ran all around campus looking for anything LSAT. Finally found 3 ladies sitting on a picnic table off to the side of a building with a tiny LSAT sign that was laying on the table, not even drapped over the edge so you could read it.
3. Once a group of people had gathered at location 2, they made us walk about 200 yards to these shitty portables. (I originally signed up for this location because it was were I took it in December and I wanted everything to be the same. They had us take it in a different building, not even a building, a goddamn portable).
4. So it was probably 90-100 degrees outside (California). It wasn't cool when we go into the room, but it wasn't necessarily hot. The proctors said that they had requested that the AC be turned on and that it would cool down after a while. So the first section goes by and it's not the most comfortable temperature, but it's reasonable. During the 2nd and 3rd sections the room was a sauna. I was actually dripping sweat onto my test booklet. After our break they decided to open to doors because it was cooler outside (It was 95 degrees when I got back to my car, so take into account that my car was probably hotter than the actual air temperature, but also that the bulk of the test had taken place 2 hrs before when it was hotter). Sow now the door is open, which is kind of distracting because of the noise outside, but it's better than a 100 degree silent sauna.

I am not sure about most people, but when I am very hot I cannot think. A couple weeks ago I took a test in the middle of the day and accadentally left the window open and it got up to around 90 degrees and i did horrible. So you can imagine the flash backs I started getting as I was dripping sweat onto my test booklet as I am sweating through the problems.

So there is my rant. I am definitely cancelling, which sucks cause I studied so goddamn much, like everyone. I have heard of people getting tests wiped from their records (so schools can't even see you cancelled). Is this a good argument? I mean I think I even should be refunded my test fee. It was honestly the worst testing conditions I could ever think about. I could take the test tomorrow and do very well, but because of the testing conditions and circumstances, it fucked me.

So angry...that is all.

rabbitrun

Postby rabbitrun » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:01 am

AHHHH all of you need to report stupid crap like this, even if you don't think LSAC will care! They probably won't, but if you need to make an addendum for why your first LSAT was crap, it will help.

The first time I took the LSAT, the proctor didn't believe that the photo was me and tried to turn me, as well as about 30 other people, away from sitting the test. After I argued with him for about 10 min to let me in and then finally got some old lady to take pity on me and my perfectly acceptable photo, he decided that he hated me. He paced in front of me THE ENTIRE TIME, I'm not exaggerating, smelling like and old ashtray (not the normal cigarette smoker smell... the kind of wet moldy cigarette smell). The room was also approximately 50 degrees and was across the street from a carwash in which the employees honked every 5 minutes to let people know that their cars were ready.
I scored 5 below my average.

suzige

Postby suzige » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:07 am

Yes, please do report ALL of these incidents.

rabbitrun

Postby rabbitrun » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:12 am

Also, I love this:
shifty_eyed wrote:Someone showed up with his parents but without any form of ID.

I had a girl today show up with her mom, and the mom waited in the break area for the entire 4+ hours. During the break, the mom actually handed her a juice box. The mom was on her cell phone and computer and the girl was looking at it. The proctor had no clue what to do, so she just glared. Meanwhile, some middle aged woman with a ziplock bag full of dayquil, caffeine pills and redbull was freaking out and ranting at the other proctor because she wasn't allowed to keep her sweater under her seat or something. ENTERTAINING

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:27 am

TRex77 wrote:cut and pasted from my thread:

So just got back from the test. (this is my 2nd time taking it). I was insanely prepared, averaging 164-168. Honestly would have even been happy with a 163.

The test was pretty much my worst nightmare come to fruition.

I am going to write a letter to LSAC and try to get my test removed from my record, and if not that, at least cancelled.

Here is what happened, and why I think it's enough for them to delete my scores, or whatever it's called:

(I am raging so hard right now, but am trying to keep calm).

1. The location on the test ticket was wrong.
2. They moved location of the test 2 times. I was running around like a freaking chicken with its head cut off. Ran all around campus looking for anything LSAT. Finally found 3 ladies sitting on a picnic table off to the side of a building with a tiny LSAT sign that was laying on the table, not even drapped over the edge so you could read it.
3. Once a group of people had gathered at location 2, they made us walk about 200 yards to these shitty portables. (I originally signed up for this location because it was were I took it in December and I wanted everything to be the same. They had us take it in a different building, not even a building, a goddamn portable).
4. So it was probably 90-100 degrees outside (California). It wasn't cool when we go into the room, but it wasn't necessarily hot. The proctors said that they had requested that the AC be turned on and that it would cool down after a while. So the first section goes by and it's not the most comfortable temperature, but it's reasonable. During the 2nd and 3rd sections the room was a sauna. I was actually dripping sweat onto my test booklet. After our break they decided to open to doors because it was cooler outside (It was 95 degrees when I got back to my car, so take into account that my car was probably hotter than the actual air temperature, but also that the bulk of the test had taken place 2 hrs before when it was hotter). Sow now the door is open, which is kind of distracting because of the noise outside, but it's better than a 100 degree silent sauna.

I am not sure about most people, but when I am very hot I cannot think. A couple weeks ago I took a test in the middle of the day and accadentally left the window open and it got up to around 90 degrees and i did horrible. So you can imagine the flash backs I started getting as I was dripping sweat onto my test booklet as I am sweating through the problems.

So there is my rant. I am definitely cancelling, which sucks cause I studied so goddamn much, like everyone. I have heard of people getting tests wiped from their records (so schools can't even see you cancelled). Is this a good argument? I mean I think I even should be refunded my test fee. It was honestly the worst testing conditions I could ever think about. I could take the test tomorrow and do very well, but because of the testing conditions and circumstances, it fucked me.

So angry...that is all.

That sucks. Where in CA did you take the test? the Mojave desert or Palm Springs or in Valencia/Santa Clarita area?

I'm in CA and it was a decently comfortable temperature day where I'm at, nothing near 90-100.

I very much feel for you. When it gets hot (80-90+) I have a hard time thinking, focusing clearly and get what I call 'brain fever'. I have no idea how some people can live comfortably and function well in high heat areas/conditions.

Years ago I made the mistake of going to Magic Mountain in September. It was miserable with 90-110+ degree temperatures during the day. I drank at least 2-3 gallons of water that day and sweated it out as fast as I could drink it, never needed to pee, and fainted a few times. Instead of waiting in line for more rides I decided to mainly hang out under the air conditioner blowers they have at the entrances to the gift stores and indoor food places until the sun went down.

It's highly unlikely that LSAC will wipe this administration off your record/CAS report. They are IMHO rightfully very strict, consistent and fair with how they apply the established rules to everyone in order to ensure a fair testing process.

You will probably end up with a score cancelled mark on your report and it will count as one of your 'can only take it three times in any two year time period' opportunities to take the test since you sat for the administration.

You can and certainly should file a test center complaint though. You'll never know what they might do if you don't try, plus, they'd want to know about a bad test center/facility/conditions in order to prevent bad conditions at a future administration.

If you properly file a complaint with the relevant facts and details and they match up with what the proctors say when questioned about it by LSAC, you'll probably be offered a free registration to re-take the test at a future administration.

Sorry you had to go through that, it really sucks. Move closer to the coast in CA where it doesn't get broiling super hot!

phillykid

Postby phillykid » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:26 am

unitball wrote:OP are you asian by any chance? If so, I remember when you busted into the bathroom.

Nope not Asian, I don't recall an anyone Asian in our center? Are you sure you were in mine?

Honey_Badger

Postby Honey_Badger » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:48 am

suzige wrote:Yes, please do report ALL of these incidents.

From LSAC web site:

LSAC administers the LSAT at hundreds of locations around the world. Although LSAC staff and local test supervisors (who are not LSAC employees) make every effort to provide a suitable test-taking environment, LSAC cannot guarantee that conditions will be optimal at all testing sites. In no case will LSAC be held responsible for test-center conditions beyond its control. If you encounter a problem during the test administration, report it to the test center supervisor; however, informing the test center supervisor is not sufficient. You must also follow up your complaint by writing with your signature to:
LSAC
662 Penn Street
PO BOX 2000-T
Newtown PA 18940
USA
Fax: 215.968.1277
E-mail: LSACinfo@LSAC.org
Your complaint must be received by LSAC within six calendar days after the administration via fax, letter, or e-mail. It is your responsibility to keep proof of LSAC's receipt of your complaint (i.e., a fax transmittal report); however, no such proof will be accepted beyond 14 calendar days after the test. Indicate "Test Center Complaint" in the subject line and include your name, address, LSAC account number, the last four digits of your Social Security/Social Insurance number, the test center name, and the building or room in which you were tested, if known. Be aware that the availability of your LSAT score may be delayed pending the review of your complaint.

Please, if your test center was unacceptable, fax a letter in (it has to be SIGNED) with the above information.

MLBrandow

Postby MLBrandow » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:51 am

Reading all these makes me truly grateful for my experience. We started on time; the proctors knew what to do; no one was coughing or collecting coats or knocking on windows; room with AC and plenty of desk space; experimental LG...

Even if I retake, I don't think I could top the overall experience I had (in terms of mitigating potential bad factors).

Did you guys research the test center beforehand and still had these crazy problems? I had a couple test centers I was looking at but I emailed and asked people about them beforehand, and the one I ended up going with had generally rave reviews as far as test centers go.

dsb83

Postby dsb83 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:10 am

Some of our proctors were talking during the early part of the tests and the team generally didn't know what they were doing. Also, had some construction going on nearby with the erratic sound of a circular saw, but overall it wasn't bad. With the proctors, I think LSAC should require a practice LSAT administration as part of their training. Some don't seem to have a clue what the test is about or the intense focus required. Whispering to each other like during mine is one thing, but trying to talk to you during a section is unbelievable.

To the OP, I read your post as saying that you just pissed your pants initially. I wonder how many people wear diapers for each administration? Are those allowed? Next big thing in test prep.

phillykid

Postby phillykid » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:37 am

dsb83 wrote: To the OP, I read your post as saying that you just pissed your pants initially. I wonder how many people wear diapers for each administration? Are those allowed? Next big thing in test prep.

Not gonna lie, it crossed my mind.

msquaredb

Postby msquaredb » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:55 pm

New student orientation was going on so herds of loud parents and children kept walking by the testing room. It sounded like a herd of buffalo being ridden through the halls by loud women with Jersey accents*.

Being from the midwest I couldn't help but focus on those accents. God...they just grab my attention.

fdubzou

Postby fdubzou » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:23 pm

The advantage of living here in Alaska. There was one other person taking the test with me. Had our own room, started on time, we even got to start section 4 a few minutes earlier as neither of us intended to use the entire 15 break. I think I'm going to cancel because I already feel I scored in the bottom of my range, and I'd like to try some of the recommendations I've found on this site rather than relying solely on the TestMasters online course I did for this one. But man, I feel pretty fortunate in my test location and experience.

Greeno

Postby Greeno » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:04 pm

phillykid wrote: Green shirt? Or were you the kid with black and red shoes? Every time that lady hit something off her desk I was expecting her to reach down immediately but everything just stayed there lol. Normally I can't stand the pretentious kid who sounded like Jim Rome, but in this case he had a point and I'm happy he made such a fuss.

Black and red shoes, grey shirt. And yeah, I couldn't decide whether to be disturbed by his blatantly obnoxious attitude, or just relieved that someone spoke up. I remember seeing you get up in the middle of a section, presumably for the bathroom, and thinking "Are you serious? Theres no way you finish this section in time" haha. Fair play if you did.

rabbitrun

Postby rabbitrun » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:10 am

phillykid wrote:
dsb83 wrote: To the OP, I read your post as saying that you just pissed your pants initially. I wonder how many people wear diapers for each administration? Are those allowed? Next big thing in test prep.

Not gonna lie, it crossed my mind.

+1

spw

Postby spw » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:19 am

I was particularly outraged at this display of incompetence, since this was my third and final attempt at a 170+...

We were told to show up "no later than 12:30" to the testing room. I get there, and learned that they split everyone up by last name in different buildings all across campus. So for whatever reason, they decided the H, M, and E last names were all going to be in one room. Ok, no big deal. Until 12:30 rolls around and there are about 70 people standing in line to get checked in to a room THAT SEATS 50. Eventually some desks were pulled in from another room and the remaining 20 people were crammed into the back or against the wall, but... and I couldn't tell you why... this process took OVER 2 hours! It was literally 2:30 before everyone could stop standing in line and be put in a seat!

We did not start the test until well after 3pm, by which time quite a few people (myself included) were already mentally exhausted from the stress of standing in line for hours and dealing with incompetent proctors. By the time we got to the third section, I was too exhausted to focus on a lick of the Reading Comp.

All said and done, we were not out of the test until past 7pm. My ride, who took the test in a different room, had been out and waiting for me for 2 hours. :evil:

phillykid

Postby phillykid » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:02 pm

Just PM'ed you Greeno.

mewalke1

Postby mewalke1 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:33 am

spw wrote:I was particularly outraged at this display of incompetence, since this was my third and final attempt at a 170+...

We were told to show up "no later than 12:30" to the testing room. I get there, and learned that they split everyone up by last name in different buildings all across campus. So for whatever reason, they decided the H, M, and E last names were all going to be in one room. Ok, no big deal. Until 12:30 rolls around and there are about 70 people standing in line to get checked in to a room THAT SEATS 50. Eventually some desks were pulled in from another room and the remaining 20 people were crammed into the back or against the wall, but... and I couldn't tell you why... this process took OVER 2 hours! It was literally 2:30 before everyone could stop standing in line and be put in a seat!

We did not start the test until well after 3pm, by which time quite a few people (myself included) were already mentally exhausted from the stress of standing in line for hours and dealing with incompetent proctors. By the time we got to the third section, I was too exhausted to focus on a lick of the Reading Comp.

All said and done, we were not out of the test until past 7pm. My ride, who took the test in a different room, had been out and waiting for me for 2 hours. :evil:

Some of that sounds like mine. No later than 12:30 but then you sit around waiting for someone to get their id right

mewalke1

Postby mewalke1 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:43 am

So I have a story but most of the annoyances happened before the test

I parked in a underground/building garage across the street from the building in which they were giving the test. I was on the 3rd floor down. I couldn't find the elevator so I took the stairs. I went up a flew flights until I came to the door I thought I was supposed to get out of but the handle was broken. no biggie went down a level the door was locked, now Im annoyed so I went back down to the level I parked on and the door was locked. Now Im having a panic attack. Im locked in a stairwell with no cell phone(left it in the car of course, don't want to piss of the lsat people) and I have to be at the testing place in 15 min. So I run up about 5 flights; sweating like crazy. I finally find a door propped open with an orange traffic cone and get out that way and into a long corridor. Finally I get outside but on the opposite side of the building. Im already sweating like crazy and now I have to walk a bit to the building where the test is and its PHX at 12:15pm so its not like it was cool or anything. But it turned out ok. I got there on time and not to sweaty.

Anyway the proctors weren't the best but I had heard that its actually one of the best places to take the LSAT. Other than waiting like 1 1/2 hours before we started the LSAT because of who knows.....IDs missing,people bringing cell phones etc. If I had to take it again I would take it at the same place. They even provided us with snacks during the break. And the view was amazing.

Anyone else see the panic and fear on their colleagues faces right before the test?!

d0rklord

Postby d0rklord » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:48 am

Wow. All of this sounds NUTS.

Despite the fact I cancelled (i just wanted to "feel" what the test was like)... i had IDEAL test conditions.

We were in a room with only about 15-20 people testing...

The desks we had were large... It was a desk that normally accommodated 2 people, but they sat one person per desk.

It was DEAD. SILENT. DURING. THE. TEST. I swear to god, i thought i was in a dream because... HOW COULD PEOPLE BE SO QUIET? I barely even heard pages turn...

Needless to say, I'm using this test center for my retake. Lol.

EDIT: However... there were a bunch of EXTREMELY annoying people while we were waiting for the test to begin (i got there early, because i'm obsessive like that, so I had about an hour to kill in the room) Particularly, there were two girls who were friends who kept saying SO FREAKING LOUDLY "oh em gee, i mean, did he like... have sex with you" and things of the sort -_-

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”