So How Was It? Hard? Harder? Just what you expected?

Crowing

Re: So How Was It? Hard? Harder? Just what you expected?

Postby Crowing » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:57 pm

I had two RC and found the first one to be slightly more difficult.

sjwest

Postby sjwest » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:58 pm

Also, I must be the only person here that HATED the extra space on LG. It completely threw me off, and the visual disconnect between the questions on the right page versus my diagram on the left page killed my time.

Regardless, for those of you taking it in the future, be prepared for both possibilities. I'm not convinced this wasn't a fluke.

For those of you considering cancelling, reconsider. This was my 2nd take, and I felt like I completely bombed my first. I had consistently been doing 100% of LG and only got through two of them on test day. Missed 10 of 22. I still scored a 162, only a few points down from my average, because I did better than average on the LR and RC sections.

Don't cancel. Unless you're applying to schools that consider you by your average LSAT instead of the highest, don't cancel.

karich

Postby karich » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:03 pm

I completely ignored all of the white space on the left page and just worked on the right page. Couldn't really have the entire booklet open because the desks at my test center were the size of a 3x5 index card.

StarLightSpectre

Postby StarLightSpectre » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:06 pm

sjwest wrote:Also, I must be the only person here that HATED the extra space on LG. It completely threw me off, and the visual disconnect between the questions on the right page versus my diagram on the left page killed my time.

Regardless, for those of you taking it in the future, be prepared for both possibilities. I'm not convinced this wasn't a fluke.

For those of you considering cancelling, reconsider. This was my 2nd take, and I felt like I completely bombed my first. I had consistently been doing 100% of LG and only got through two of them on test day. Missed 10 of 22. I still scored a 162, only a few points down from my average, because I did better than average on the LR and RC sections.

Don't cancel. Unless you're applying to schools that consider you by your average LSAT instead of the highest, don't cancel.

I hated it too. Took me like 30 seconds to start reading. I figured it was a misprint at first.

This was also my 2nd attempt. Was testing from 168-173 consistently. I have no idea what I'll score on this one. LG is my strongest section.

This time around RC and LR felt pretty easy but LG. Man, I think I had 4 minutes to do the last game. I could be anywhere from -5 or -6 to -10 or -12.

MeSoLitigious

Postby MeSoLitigious » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:08 pm

I was totally thrown off by all the extra space on LG! People always complain that you don't get scratch paper, so I guess this is their way of giving it to us, but still not technically giving it to us. I blow at LG anyway, so I know I didn't do well on that section. Most of the rest of the test was pretty easy, and I feel pretty confident that I did OK. Might I retake in October? Maybe. But I am not freaking out over my performance today.

What's up with that raggedy sandpaper they printed it on? As much money as we paid for this test, they can't even swing some white paper? Mine was damned near orange wtf.

crv8623

Postby crv8623 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:13 pm

I have to agree, in regards to the Logic Games, I just did not know how to handle all the extra space. It completely made me flustered, I almost wish I had smaller space. Although it seems like not such a big deal, and maybe even an advantage, the extra space just gave me a mind fuck and completely confused me.

Other than that, there were a couple logical reasoning questions I had never seen before, and the reading comp was interesting/semi easy.

Overall LR1: -3-4, LR2: -3-4, RC: -4-5, LG: WHOTHEFUCKKNOWS

Anyhow, it seems like I am destined to score below my PT average AGAIN.

JSY

Postby JSY » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:13 pm

Agreeing with all of you about that extra LG space throwing you off. Luckily, the games (IMO) were all pretty straightforward but that extra space made it a bit harder to look at all the previous games for patterns. I keep thinking... GOTTA USE THAT SPACE.

Just out of curiosity do any of you do really well on LR questions on PTs only to find yourself running out of time (or barely in time) during test day? This is my second time taking the test and I hate that on PTs, I find myself with extra time and the ability to actually comprehend the stimulus/answers but on test day, my mind is usually like, "WTF is this stimulus saying." Just wondering if any of you have any test anxiety reducing tips :/

(in response to the sandpaper... I started thinking about that LR question in the PTs about recycling and white pulp and filler... lol... oh lsat)

crv8623

Postby crv8623 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:18 pm

I am usually very good with Logical Reasoning, but, I remember distinctly one question where it talked about species and the extinction of them and the stimulus/a.c confused the fuck out of me. There were a few questions, where the stimulus and the answer choices were of a type I had never encountered (I have took almost every practice test).

suzige

Postby suzige » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:20 pm

Seriously...wtf was that test?

the extra space in LG totally threw me off.

I had a really tough time with LR questions...just trying to figure out what type of question it was in the first place was difficult.

I hardly ever run out of time on any section, and this time I did for every single section.

Super upset.

NYC2012

Postby NYC2012 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:23 pm

Last edited by NYC2012 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jredelman15

Postby Jredelman15 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:42 pm

I had the RC-LR-LR-LG-LR I am hoping and praying that the last LR was the experimental. I dont want to say that it was any harder than the others because I might have just exhausted. I got 3 1/2 hrs of sleep. For the RC i think I improved from my PT average and will be sitting around a -5. The LG section seemed ok and I feel pretty good about a -2. And with LR who the hell knows if I am wrong on which one was exp than I could be sitting in 140 zone. I straight bombed that last one.

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:53 pm

Crazy easy RC and LG. Get ready for a BRUTAL curve. -7 or -8 for a 170

Average LR, I got caught up on a couple, even one early one like #10 or so, but finished both LR with a minute or so to spare. Last LR question stimulus made me go WTF??? but the ACs were super obvious..

Way way easier than the PTs in the recent 60s.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:59 pm

SaintsTheMetal wrote:Crazy easy RC and LG. Get ready for a BRUTAL curve. -7 or -8 for a 170

Average LR, I got caught up on a couple, even one early one like #10 or so, but finished both LR with a minute or so to spare. Last LR question stimulus made me go WTF??? but the ACs were super obvious..

If we see a minus 7 or 8 curve I will eat all 8 pencils I brought today. Don't be absurd man, just because the test may have matched your skill set doesn't mean it's a 7 curve. It's not a -13 like some are suggesting. I'm voting 10 or 11.

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:08 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:
SaintsTheMetal wrote:Crazy easy RC and LG. Get ready for a BRUTAL curve. -7 or -8 for a 170

If we see a minus 7 or 8 curve I will eat all 8 pencils I brought today. Don't be absurd man, just because the test may have matched your skill set doesn't mean it's a 7 curve. It's not a -13 like some are suggesting. I'm voting 10 or 11.

The games had no curve ball, easy in general, easy to average RC. In recent PTs this has correlated to tough curves. The most direct correlation I've noticed is just easy/hard games to overall curve. For a solid example of this see PT62 to PT63. PT62 had stained glass game - very generous curve. PT63 had easy games, like today, and ends up with a brutal curve.

CapCity55

Postby CapCity55 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:24 pm

patricksouthern wrote:Reposting this from the other thread:

Tremendously upset right now. I've been consistently PT-ing in the low-to-mid 170s in the past few weeks, and felt very good coming into today. Felt even better at break time, like I had steamrolled my first three sections.

But then ... LG happened. I had the LG experimental as my 2nd section (RC - LG - LR - LG - LR) and had done very well. But the actual one stumped me in a huge way. Not sure what happened. It all seems like a blur. The first game had only five questions and took me far longer than it should have. Plodded through the second game, looked at my watch, had only about 7 minutes left for the last two games. Panic mode. No easy answers in the last two games. Lots of pure guessing. I don't understand what happened. Felt like I watched my test explode in my face.

I honestly don't know how I calmed myself down for Section 5. Took me about 4-5 questions to get out of "Wow, you screwed that up royally" mode and get my head back in the game. Felt pretty good about my performance there. But if I do anything better than -10 on LG, I'll be surprised. And that makes me unbelievably sad.

I prepped like crazy for the last few months. Worked really, really hard. Yeah, I can retake in October, but what am I really going to learn between now and then that I didn't know today? That's really what's got me out of whack. And my GPA is really low (I'm definitely looking to be a super-splitter) so I NEED a high LSAT to get into schools many of you probably wouldn't even want to apply to.

Very depressed right now. Just can't believe that one bad section probably ruined the whole thing for me. Easily my worst LG performance since my diagnostic, and on the worst possible day.

Today was the first time I've taken an actual LSAT, although I have practiced with quite a few old versions/prep tests over the last few months in way of preparation. Beyond that, your story sounds identical to mine - (RC - LG - LR - LG - LR) I also felt pretty confident at half-time, only to get my ass handed to me by the LG following the break. Prior to reading this board, I figured that the second LG HAD to be the experimental section due to the fact that it simply seemed oddly difficult, leaving me to straight up guess on close to ten of questions.
My question is this:
How does everyone figure that this was the real section? Although I was a bit surprised at how quick I seemed to run through the first LG, I simply figured that an experimental section would be one where the test makers are testing more-difficult-than-usual, new types of questions. I left the test feeling slightly comforted believing there was a good chance that the second LG had to be the experimental section due to its surprisingly difficult content.

Remember, I am still quite new to the LSAT experience - this one being my first - so if anyone could try to help me understand why they believe the easier LG may have in fact been the bogus section as opposed to the more difficult 2nd one (or convince me otherwise! :D) please fill me in - Thanks in advance

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:27 pm

CapCity55 wrote:Today was the first time I've taken an actual LSAT, although I have practiced with quite a few old versions/prep tests over the last few months in way of preparation. Beyond that, your story sounds identical to mine - (RC - LG - LR - LG - LR) I also felt pretty confident at half-time, only to get my ass handed to me by the LG following the break. Prior to reading this board, I figured that the second LG HAD to be the experimental section due to the fact that it simply seemed oddly difficult, leaving me to straight up guess on close to ten of questions.
My question is this:
How does everyone figure that this was the real section? Although I was a bit surprised at how quick I seemed to run through the first LG, I simply figured that an experimental section would be one where the test makers are testing more-difficult-than-usual, new types of questions. I left the test feeling slightly comforted believing there was a good chance that the second LG had to be the experimental section due to its surprisingly difficult content.

Remember, I am still quite new to the LSAT experience - this one being my first - so if anyone could try to help me understand why they believe the easier LG may have in fact been the bogus section as opposed to the more difficult 2nd one (or convince me otherwise! :D) please fill me in - Thanks in advance

There were many different experimental sections tested today. People with a non-LG experimental can confirm the real LG. It was the second one, more difficult, but still very straight forward. I'd suggest a retake, pretty much everything you can possibly can be covered by simply working through the Powerscore Logic Games Bible and drilling the common question types. Through tons of practice you can burn through the easy games so you have 15+ minutes to work on the hard ones.

NewYorkL

Postby NewYorkL » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:27 pm

chup wrote:Just as a reminder, identifying the TYPES of games (sequence, grouping, &c.) will get you banned.

:shock:

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:30 pm

NewYorkL wrote:
chup wrote:Just as a reminder, identifying the TYPES of games (sequence, grouping, &c.) will get you banned.

:shock:

Yeah, believe him.

NewYorkL

Postby NewYorkL » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:32 pm

suzige wrote:Seriously...wtf was that test?

the extra space in LG totally threw me off.

I had a really tough time with LR questions...just trying to figure out what type of question it was in the first place was difficult.

I hardly ever run out of time on any section, and this time I did for every single section.

Super upset.

I wish I knew what you meant by this. The question stem did not reveal the type of question it was? Whaa

FlatFox

Postby FlatFox » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:41 pm

I had the experimental RC. Two RC in a row to start? That sucked. Over all, though, I found it to be relatively easy. This was my first official test, but it seemed to go more smoothly than my PTs.

The extra space in LG made me panic for a minute. Normally I have all of my work in a small area so that I can reuse anything that's applicable. In an effort to ensure I didn't waste precious time, I didn't worry about it and as a result I wrote all over the place and couldn't logically follow my previous work.

Oh well, I guess all we can really do is wait.

Good luck!

chem!

Postby chem! » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:51 pm

FlatFox wrote:I had the experimental RC. Two RC in a row to start? That sucked. Over all, though, I found it to be relatively easy. This was my first official test, but it seemed to go more smoothly than my PTs.

The extra space in LG made me panic for a minute. Normally I have all of my work in a small area so that I can reuse anything that's applicable. In an effort to ensure I didn't waste precious time, I didn't worry about it and as a result I wrote all over the place and couldn't logically follow my previous work.

Oh well, I guess all we can really do is wait.

Good luck!

I liked the space, but am so used to cramming everything into the little space that I had a hard time tracking my work, too. Damn!

UtilityMonster

Postby UtilityMonster » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:53 pm

Count me among those thrown off by the extra space. I bet that extra space will result in a worse curve as well, as noobies don't know how to use the typical, rather small area of space allotted, and the greater amount of space will allow them to perform better. Or maybe when the curve was created the people testing the LG weren't given the extra space.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:56 pm

Well, the answer to this is two-fold:

1. Objectively, I think i was easier than a normal test. LR1 was cake, RC was slightly harder than average, LR2 was about average and LG was slightly easier than average (a lot of ppl may disagree with this now but I think in time it will be the consensus).

2. It was much much harder than expected because I didn't expect to be so nervous and I set my bar really damn high. Not too mention two rc sections, both difficult, with my eyes half glazed over and my brain fogged up going through them, was really tough for me. So in that sense, it was really hard.

Wily

Postby Wily » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:10 am

Micdiddy wrote:Well, the answer to this is two-fold:

1. Objectively, I think i was easier than a normal test. LR1 was cake, RC was slightly harder than average, LR2 was about average and LG was slightly easier than average (a lot of ppl may disagree with this now but I think in time it will be the consensus).

2. It was much much harder than expected because I didn't expect to be so nervous and I set my bar really damn high. Not too mention two rc sections, both difficult, with my eyes half glazed over and my brain fogged up going through them, was really tough for me. So in that sense, it was really hard.

I agree, except I didn't have (2).

Helicio

Postby Helicio » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:21 am

Was the CPU question in Lr 1 or Lr 2? (25 question or 26 question)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”