So How Was It? Hard? Harder? Just what you expected?

BalanceCare

Re: So How Was It? Hard? Harder? Just what you expected?

Postby BalanceCare » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:50 pm

MLBrandow wrote:Did anyone feel like in LR most of the 20's questions were a joke, and then the most difficult questions were usually in the first 15?

The two questions I had the most difficulty with were in the first 7 of either section.

yes

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:20 pm

I was kinda on "out of it" auto pilot for most of the test. I had 3 LR, it's my historically best section. I don't remember it much but everyone saying it was easy makes me feel good.

tofuspeedstar

Postby tofuspeedstar » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:22 pm

At first I was like --ImageRemoved--

But after the test I was like

--ImageRemoved--

sjwest

Postby sjwest » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:43 pm

So I just took the time to do a best, worst, and average case scenario of questions missed based on how I felt, how many I guessed on, and past performance, adding up my total for each section. Either my 2nd or 5th LR section was experimental. I added it up with each section one at a time.

Then I took the totals and found old PTs with ranged scales for every 101 test that had a 8-14 point curve and calculated what my score would be for each scenario with each "curve".

That was both a fun and enlightening experience. I predict a 166 for my score +/- a point. You should all do this.

Edit: I couldn't find a 101 question test with a 9 point curve, thus that column is blank.

Paraflam

Postby Paraflam » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:59 pm

Good idea, sjwest. I took it a step further and assigned probabilities to Best, Avg, and Worst, and also to each of the possibilities for the curve. Based on my own judgement, of course.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:02 pm

sjwest wrote:So I just took the time to do a best, worst, and average case scenario of questions missed based on how I felt, how many I guessed on, and past performance, adding up my total for each section. Either my 2nd or 5th LR section was experimental. I added it up with each section one at a time.

Then I took the totals and found old PTs with ranged scales for every 101 test that had a 8-14 point curve and calculated what my score would be for each scenario with each "curve".

That was both a fun and enlightening experience. I predict a 166 for my score +/- a point. You should all do this.

Edit: I couldn't find a 101 question test with a 9 point curve, thus that column is blank.

Dude, go read a book out in the sun.

sjwest

Postby sjwest » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:15 pm

It was a slow day at work.

Here's a link to past score distributions if anyone else wants to do this:
http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2010/03/ls ... rsion.html

VLFK

Postby VLFK » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:19 pm

Helicio wrote:That test did not seem like an LSAT.

No sure if it was hard or easy. I literally feel like I got anywhere from a 165-180. :/

+1

VLFK

Postby VLFK » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:22 pm

sjwest wrote:So I just took the time to do a best, worst, and average case scenario of questions missed based on how I felt, how many I guessed on, and past performance, adding up my total for each section. Either my 2nd or 5th LR section was experimental. I added it up with each section one at a time.

Also, this is crazy. And wonderful, in equal measure. Thank you!

shntn

Postby shntn » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:32 pm

NYC2012 wrote:
jigglebottom wrote:Brains question dealt with woodland and desert development right? It was chill..absolutely no clue which of the two beginning lrs was experimental tho

OMG now I remember it. That was a bitch of a question

Srsly? I either killed this test or am the most clueless idiot in the room. Time will tell.

curiousme

Postby curiousme » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:24 am

Overall, I felt the test was MOSTLY easier than anticipated. This might be because I TANKED my last few PTs before the LSAT, and I was totally freaking out on Sunday. I went in to the actual test rather zen, however, which I attribute to chocolate, coffee, and scoping out the location beforehand (nerdy? yes. But timing my drive, figuring out where I would park, putting together my little plastic baggie, and actually finding the room itself two days before made test day really, really stress free). Never though I'd be happy to arrive somewhere 40 minutes early....

We had the dinky desks, which sucked, but in practice I've always circled my answers in my book then transferred them a few at a time to the answer sheet, so I made it work.

LR have been my weakness in PTs, but I totally felt like I aced them on Monday. The presence of ninjas also made me REALLY happy. I finished each LR section with enough time to go back and check my answers (and doodle ninjas where appropriate). :lol:

I also felt pretty good with the RC, though I had a freak out half way through when I realized I had NO idea how much time I had left and rushed through the last few questions. Ended up finishing long before 5min was called (really rare with RC for me), so I went back and checked my work. Felt good with my answers.

Then LG happened. Which was weird, as LGs are always my best section in practice (-0, occasionally -1). But this time? *headdesk* The first LG section I had was easy enough, the second one killed me so bad I actually ran out of time and had to make educated guesses on a number of answers. I seriously could miss anywhere from -0 to -6 on that section and I have NO IDEA. *headdesk* *headdesk* *headdesk*. Different from what most people are saying, the extra space didn't throw me (I kinda went "what? Oh, cool" and kept going), but that might be because this is my first time taking the actual LSAT.

Reading through the threads, though, I'm a bit confused.... the subjects people are listing as being in the experimental LG are the ones I THINK I recall being in the easy section. Course, my brain might just still be scrambled from the nightmare that was LG2 for me....

Eh. At this point I'm just curious to see if I did as well on the LR and RC as I think I did. If LG1 was the real one, then July will be a happy surprise. If not, well....If I have to take it in Oct., I'll take in Oct, and spend a LOT more time doing LGs in the interim! :wink:

(mind you, I am a first-time actual LSAT taker, so I could be blindsided by suck in July. We shall see....)

JJJ123

Postby JJJ123 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:45 am

LR is my best section, on a typical PT I get -0 or -1 total in LR.. I agree that there were an unusually large number of very easy LR questions, but there were still a fair share of questions that gave me pause and that were definitely pretty tough. The abundance of easy questions can actually make it easier to overlook the subtlety in the tougher ones; If I had to guess, I'd say that many of you are overly optimistic.

pmk180

Postby pmk180 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:12 am

I had LR-LG-RC-LR-LG and I agree with the others who felt that this test was weird. The first logical reasoning section kind of threw me off but the second seemed much better. I was also disappointed when I saw the second LG section and some of the rules killed me but LG is usually my worst section anyways and I had a feeling that the first LG was far too easy to be real. RC was about what I expected from my PTs.

I'm pretty sure I scored anywhere from 162-171 but I'm guessing I hit the middle. Probably a 166 or 167.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:09 am

JJJ123 wrote:LR is my best section, on a typical PT I get -0 or -1 total in LR.. I agree that there were an unusually large number of very easy LR questions, but there were still a fair share of questions that gave me pause and that were definitely pretty tough. The abundance of easy questions can actually make it easier to overlook the subtlety in the tougher ones; If I had to guess, I'd say that many of you are overly optimistic.

Agreed. I think it's more of a matter of the easy questions being later in the section and more difficult ones creeping further forward and backward, breaking from the history of q14-18 being the real pain in the ass questions.

curiousme

Postby curiousme » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:15 pm

JJJ123 wrote:The abundance of easy questions can actually make it easier to overlook the subtlety in the tougher ones; If I had to guess, I'd say that many of you are overly optimistic.

Kill not my dreams of a good LR score! ;) Actually, I'm keeping fingers crossed that the fact that the section felt so easy is what saved me. I'm so used to finishing a PT LR and feeling strung-out by the questions, that when the actual LSAT sections felt easy I got suspicious and double checked the he** out of everything. Sounds a bit counter-intuitive, yes, but one can have hope.

jjrialva

Postby jjrialva » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:01 pm

I had the LR LG RC LR LG test.

I think we can say there were 2 different LR LG RC LR LG tests. Certainly my first LG was the difficult one with 300 rules on each game and ambiguous set up. Only did 19 and had to guess a few. The second LG was pretty easy finished it with plenty of time.

So two tests with 2 LG sections in the same positions.

LR LGdifficult RC LR LGeasy and LR LGeasy RC LR LGdifficult.

I was too confused by so many contradicting descriptions of the sections but this could be it. The 2 sections are SO different in difficulty level we could say safely we are talking about the same sections.

My score also depends on which LG section was real.

VasaVasori

Postby VasaVasori » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:26 pm

Last edited by VasaVasori on Sat May 02, 2015 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jjrialva

Postby jjrialva » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:44 pm

VasaVasori wrote:
jjrialva wrote:I had the LR LG RC LR LG test.

I think we can say there were 2 different LR LG RC LR LG tests. Certainly my first LG was the difficult one with 300 rules on each game and ambiguous set up. Only did 19 and had to guess a few. The second LG was pretty easy finished it with plenty of time.

So two tests with 2 LG sections in the same positions.

LR LGdifficult RC LR LGeasy and LR LGeasy RC LR LGdifficult.

I was too confused by so many contradicting descriptions of the sections but this could be it. The 2 sections are SO different in difficulty level we could say safely we are talking about the same sections.

My score also depends on which LG section was real.

I think it could just be that different people have different strengths, but there could have been different Q's.

And FYI, the real LG had the question about retail stores, zones, and soloists on it.

Yes, it could totally be that. Just thought it could be possible and not that much trouble for the LSAC to mix the sections.

I'm pretty sure the section with the retail stores, zones, soloist was my 5th section or my second LG. I found that section to be way easier than the first so hopefully I'll get a better score than what I expected.

If anyone thinks the section with the soloist was the second section first LG I would like to know then what was the general content of the last one.

RodionRaskolnikov

Postby RodionRaskolnikov » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:50 pm

I definitely didn't like all the space in the LG section. It was the last section and I knew it was LG. I went through my head of how I'm going to answer the questions, how I spent the last 2.5 months practically just doing games to prepare, and how I'm going to dominate. Then, I turn the page and *TWIST*. So much space! Space here, space there, space everywhere. I thought they forgot some of my questions. I looked at it and saw that, for some odd reason, they decided to only use the top 1/4th of the page.... The mental prep I did right before went out the window, I started doing the games but it was weird. It tricked me into not looking for limited answers bc it gave us SO MUCH SPACE, so I went to the questions right away. Saw it was difficult. Did my best, which is 1/10th of what I would have done had it been a normal page distribution. Then after the test, I realized that 3, yes 3 out of 4 games, had limited possibilities! Not mentioning which ones bc I don't want to get banned but yea. It was so disappointing. I made the limited possibilities for one of them and it was so weird looking at the questions on the right page then moving the head to the left page while raising the left arm to see the diagram then moving back to the question on the right. Then thinking should I just redraw the limited possibilities next to the questions? Would that be a waste of time? WTF is going on? Why did they do this? Why?

Edit: It was sad because 10 minuted before time was called, I looked around expecting someone to pat me on the shoulder and say, "Everythin will be ok. Just breathe and do your best!" But no one came. lol All I saw was other students with a deer-in-the-head-lights look.

curiousme

Postby curiousme » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:57 pm

jjrialva wrote:
VasaVasori wrote:
jjrialva wrote:If anyone thinks the section with the soloist was the second section first LG I would like to know then what was the general content of the last one.

What was the content of the other one you had? I keep thinking the one with the mall/retail was my first LG section, cause I liked that problem, but now I'm getting confused and wondering if I'm mixing sections in my memory. Honestly, the final LG was such a blur for me that I cannot remember the content, but if someone gives a keyword (like "ninjas"), then perhaps that would help...

jjrialva

Postby jjrialva » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:14 pm

RodionRaskolnikov - Your situation is why I posted on other threads that I did not feel like the 5th lg section was THAT easy. It had few key inferences that without them anyone could be lost the entire game and still have very attractive answer choices laying around.

curiousme - I don't remember any general content of what I think was the first LG/second section. The only thing I remember is that it had a lot more conditional rules in general than the last LG and instructions that were in general longer than the last LG.

I still think soloist section was the last LG. I could write the 2 letters of the names of that game but I think that would violate our agreement with the LSAC. I have read 1 time a person say the first LG was the real one few posts later a guy correcting him saying the second one was real and another post asserting the second one was real. That's why I'm also asking if anyone has general info of the other section maybe we could figure it out once and for all.

jjrialva

Postby jjrialva » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:02 pm

There is a post here cpbfirming the second lg was real. Ill stick with that fpr the sake of my mental health.

WokeUpInACar

Postby WokeUpInACar » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:14 pm

I'm just amazed at how so many people were flustered by having MORE space for LG

guinness1547

Postby guinness1547 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:17 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:I'm just amazed at how so many people were flustered by having MORE space for LG

Me too. I used it all and didn't think twice about it.

bdeebs

Postby bdeebs » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:04 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:I'm just amazed at how so many people were flustered by having MORE space for LG

I seem to remember a, "Fuck, yes!" going through my head before proceeding to the stimulus.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”