Why do people not take the LSAT serious?

bste223

Why do people not take the LSAT serious?

Postby bste223 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:30 am

I just started studying for the LSAT a month ago and plan on taking it in June 2013, I am a Political Science and Philosophy major who is 24 years old who has never taken school serious and has been involved in highly competitive sports my whole life. If the LSAT is so important why do people not do what it takes to make a 170 or higher? These are the skills you will need in law school and this is what qualifies you for law school. I believe the LSAT separates the people who will do what it takes and those who will not. It seems to me that a 170 should be a necessary requirement to have a chance to practice law in this country. Maybe I should not waste my time and study for a high LSAT score and just do what it takes to get by and let my good looks and charismatic personality carry me through. It's interesting to me, I can use an analogy, I did not show up on my college golf team expecting to "learn" how to play golf, that was expected before I get there, likewise, I don't think we should expect to show up to "law school" expecting to learn without the prior education.

Honestly I just want to know what ......!"What seperates those people who make a 170 and higher to those who don't?"

Thank you guys, much love

dowu

Re: Why do people not take the LSAT serious?

Postby dowu » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:34 am

bste223 wrote:I just started studying for the LSAT a month ago and plan on taking it in June 2013, I am a Political Science and Philosophy major who is 24 years old who has never taken school serious and has been involved in highly competitive sports my whole life. If the LSAT is so important why do people not do what it takes to make a 170 or higher? These are the skills you will need in law school and this is what qualifies you for law school. I believe the LSAT separates the people who will do what it takes and those who will not. It seems to me that a 170 should be a necessary requirement to have a chance to practice law in this country. Maybe I should not waste my time and study for a high LSAT score and just do what it takes to get by and let my good looks and charismatic personality carry me through. It's interesting to me, I can use an analogy, I did not show up on my college golf team expecting to "learn" how to play golf, that was expected before I get there, likewise, I don't think we should expect to show up to "law school" expecting to learn without the prior education.

Honestly I just want to know what ......!"What seperates those people who make a 170 and higher to those who don't?"

:) :arrow: :shock:

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:40 am

bste223 wrote: It seems to me that a 170 should be a necessary requirement to have a chance to practice law in this country.

lol

tyro

Postby tyro » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:41 am

bste223 wrote:and let my good looks and charismatic personality carry me through

:|

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:49 am

This OP is fan fucking tastic.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:52 am

For the same reason they don't take grammar seriously.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:06 am

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:For the same reason they don't take grammar seriously.

They don't give a shit? I really don't know

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:06 am

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:For the same reason they don't take grammar seriously.
You mean 'serious'?

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:06 am

bste223 wrote:I just started studying for the LSAT a month ago and plan on taking it in June 2013, I am a Political Science and Philosophy major who is 24 years old who has never taken school serious and has been involved in highly competitive sports my whole life. If the LSAT is so important why do people not do what it takes to make a 170 or higher? These are the skills you will need in law school and this is what qualifies you for law school. I believe the LSAT separates the people who will do what it takes and those who will not. It seems to me that a 170 should be a necessary requirement to have a chance to practice law in this country. Maybe I should not waste my time and study for a high LSAT score and just do what it takes to get by and let my good looks and charismatic personality carry me through. It's interesting to me, I can use an analogy, I did not show up on my college golf team expecting to "learn" how to play golf, that was expected before I get there, likewise, I don't think we should expect to show up to "law school" expecting to learn without the prior education.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:09 am

bste223 wrote:I did not show up on my college golf team expecting to "learn" how to play golf, that was expected before I get there, likewise, I don't think we should expect to show up to "law school" expecting to learn without the prior education.

Yes, we should all have to go to law school before we are allowed into law school.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:26 am

lol give him a break!

whuntington3

Postby whuntington3 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:35 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adverb

This is serious. You should seriously read it.

top30man

Postby top30man » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:03 am

whuntington3 wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adverb

This is serious. You should seriously read it.

What's an adverb? Why is it advertising to me?

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:04 am

180. Nice flame OP.

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:36 pm

Bonus points for terrible grammar, lack of consistent voice, run on sentences, lack of punctuation and failure to properly contract. 7/10.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:38 pm

I lol'd. Durpiing in the thread title was too strong, though.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:15 pm

I'm at my test center two and a half hours early. ThInk I'm taking it a little too seriously...

critterkln

Postby critterkln » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:15 pm

I can't tell if OP is a troll or just retarded. If everyone could get a 170+ it would make the test kind of asinine. Also, good luck getting into a top 10 law school on 'good looks and personality' when most of them don't do interviews... ass.

theprophet89

Postby theprophet89 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:18 pm

I support the OP but only if the 99th percentile of GPA candidates are also the only ones allowed into ls.

99th percentile LSAT and GPA required.

VariableChange

Postby VariableChange » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:32 pm

You guys need to give the man a break.

The only issue I found wrong with this post was the mention of "highly competitive sports" and "college golf" in the same paragraph. (sarcasm)

Just a bit of advice, people will crucify you if you don't write a succinct, well organized post up here. Though you aren't graded for the writing, it is good practice to express ideas clearly.
You went from "introduction" to "LSAT seriousness rhetorical question" to "3 sentences of reasoning as to why you feel people should do wel"l to "an attempt at sarcasm" to "back to your opinion" to "a question."

To answer your question, generally some people have different goals and motivations than others.

Honey_Badger

Postby Honey_Badger » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:34 pm

bste223 wrote:I just started studying for the LSAT a month ago and plan on taking it in June 2013, I am a Political Science and Philosophy major who is 24 years old who has never taken school serious and has been involved in highly competitive sports my whole life. If the LSAT is so important why do people not do what it takes to make a 170 or higher?

I laughed so hard at this...and then shook my head.
You're 24, have never taken school "serious," and care why others aren't as motivated as you, the highly competitive athlete.
Come back in a year after the June 2013 administration, read this, and see if you still have the same concerns....

UtilityMonster

Postby UtilityMonster » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:50 pm

Money on the OP not getting 170+.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:53 pm

UtilityMonster wrote:Money on the OP not getting 170+.

Are you kidding me?! With his dedication? I expect 180's all around.

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:53 pm

Wish OP would come back to explain himself.

UtilityMonster

Postby UtilityMonster » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:53 pm

Nova wrote:Wish OP would come back to explain himself.

Do you really want that? I don't think any more explanation is needed.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”