Withdraw or take and cancel?

kitkat07
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:20 pm

Withdraw or take and cancel?

Postby kitkat07 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:29 pm

Hi,

I'm new here, so I apologize in advance if this topic has been addressed many times already.

I'm registered for the June LSAT (tomorrow) and am certain that I will not keep my score for the test. I am deciding whether to withdraw tonight (and not take it) or take it and cancel my score.

Here's my thinking - If I withdraw, law schools won't ever know that I was registered for the test. If I cancel, law schools will see the cancellation. At the same time, taking it and canceling could be beneficial if only for having the real test experience so when I do take it for a score in October, then I'll know exactly what to expect. If I withdraw, then my first time taking the real test will be in October.
Does the benefit of getting the experience outweigh the cost of having a cancellation on my record?
Does anyone know if a cancellation would be looked at negatively by law schools?

If anyone has any thoughts or could direct me to other threads that address this issue, I'd greatly appreciate it!!

Oh and good luck to those of you taking the exam for real tomorrow!

Thanks!
~K

User avatar
ben4847
Posts: 789
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:38 pm

Re: Withdraw or take and cancel?

Postby ben4847 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:37 pm

kitkat07 wrote:Hi,

I'm new here, so I apologize in advance if this topic has been addressed many times already.

I'm registered for the June LSAT (tomorrow) and am certain that I will not keep my score for the test. I am deciding whether to withdraw tonight (and not take it) or take it and cancel my score.

Here's my thinking - If I withdraw, law schools won't ever know that I was registered for the test. If I cancel, law schools will see the cancellation. At the same time, taking it and canceling could be beneficial if only for having the real test experience so when I do take it for a score in October, then I'll know exactly what to expect. If I withdraw, then my first time taking the real test will be in October.
Does the benefit of getting the experience outweigh the cost of having a cancellation on my record?
Does anyone know if a cancellation would be looked at negatively by law schools?

If anyone has any thoughts or could direct me to other threads that address this issue, I'd greatly appreciate it!!

Oh and good luck to those of you taking the exam for real tomorrow!

Thanks!
~K


Dude: you are probably just freaking out because it is tomorrow. Go to sleep, and get up and take the exam.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Withdraw or take and cancel?

Postby Nova » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:43 pm

IMO, you should withdraw. It sounds like you know you have not peaked. The cancel will count against you because it is one of your 3 takes in 2 years. No sense of wasting that if you know you will not score in your target range. I suggest taking the LSAT in Oct, retaking in Dec if nec, and reretaking June '13 if you dont like how your cycle goes.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cherrygalore, ltowns1, Vino.Veritas, Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests