Too early to prep for Logic Games? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
PJENNEWE

New

Too early to prep for Logic Games?

Post by PJENNEWE » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:10 pm

I searched and found nothing (probably because of the vague terms) but if someone has asked this before, I'll delete this post. I am going to be taking the LSAT in June of 2014. I took a diagnostic test for fun through Kaplan and got a 151 - I think a pretty decent starting point for scoring a 170 after months of hard work. However, I really have a lot of fun doing the logic games sections. Does anyone think that it would be counterproductive to start "prepping" for the LG now for...fun? I have a LG Bible and I really want to go through it this summer and see if I get better at these. I suck at them right now (I miss about half of them in the 35 minutes). Perhaps when I really start prepping for the LSAT then I wouldn't have to focus hardly at all at something that has become second nature by doing fun games.

Br3v

Gold

Re: Too early to prep for Logic Games?

Post by Br3v » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:22 pm

PJENNEWE wrote:I searched and found nothing (probably because of the vague terms) but if someone has asked this before, I'll delete this post. I am going to be taking the LSAT in June of 2014. I took a diagnostic test for fun through Kaplan and got a 151 - I think a pretty decent starting point for scoring a 170 after months of hard work. However, I really have a lot of fun doing the logic games sections. Does anyone think that it would be counterproductive to start "prepping" for the LG now for...fun? I have a LG Bible and I really want to go through it this summer and see if I get better at these. I suck at them right now (I miss about half of them in the 35 minutes). Perhaps when I really start prepping for the LSAT then I wouldn't have to focus hardly at all at something that has become second nature by doing fun games.
Comes to mind

...id say to early OP, 3 months out works, 5 may be topside of ideal. 2 years? I wouldn't recommend

piney

New

Post by piney » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:47 pm

There are probably more interesting things you could do for fun, but I don't think it could hurt. I've been going through the LG Bible for a few weeks now, and I find it really helps. I've only done a dozen games or so, but my speed has increased, even though anything besides linear games still takes me well over 10 minutes to do. It reminds me of physics or geometry in that there's a very mechanical solution to every problem. The hard part is identifying the solution and solving the game in a short amount of time. If you study now and stick with it over the next two years, it might become second nature like math does for a lot of people. But if you study now and give it up in a few months, I don't think any progress you make will help you in 2 years' time.

Also, check out this site, which has video explanations for every game going back to October 1999: http://7sage.com/logic-game-explanations/
An excellent tool I just discovered last night (I can't believe it's free), and you might consider enrolling for the course since it's affordable.

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:31 pm

There is actually benefit to doing games not just once or twice but five-plus times, so if you feel like basically memorizing the entire LSAT games corpus, there's no reason not to do games continuously for two years.

It's not as though this is a particularly good idea, insofar as games is only a quarter of the test, but it won't hurt you. I did something sort of like this for the entire test (took LSAT, did well, taught classes for a few years, re-took LSAT), and the effect was positive.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:55 pm

IMO, you would be better off improving your RC over the next 18 months. AR is cake and can be mastered quickly.

I agree that games are fun. I already took the LSAT, but incorporated an AR section into my workout today. 10 pull ups, game 1, 10 pull ups, game 2, 10 pull ups, game 3, 10 pull ups, game 4, 10 pull ups. -2 on the section. Just like on test day :shock:
Last edited by Nova on Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rftdd888

Bronze

Post by rftdd888 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:42 am

i'm taking next june, so 12 months out, and i'm prepping. but that's because i have no other responsibilities and i want to do every preptest multiple times

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:11 am

Go to Barnes&Noble. Find the section with the crossword puzzles/sudoku. Pick up a small book called Pocket Posh Logic (1, 2, or I believe 3 now). They might be on their own stand by the registers. If you like Logic Games, you'll enjoy these, as well. Different implementation, but same analytical reasoning skills. If you can get through those books, logic games will be a breeze. And you won't go crazy studying for the LSAT for a year and a half.

LexLeon

Bronze

Post by LexLeon » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:20 pm

If you're sure that you're taking June 2014, start studying now if you have the time.

If you put in the work, you can assure a high score by your administration.

(I wouldn't listen to advice that is like "Chill, bro, just start studying three months out and you'll be fine.", as it likely comes from people who are not experienced with studying and then taking the actual test, or are mediocre LSAT takers.)

rftdd888

Bronze

Post by rftdd888 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:37 pm

LexLeon wrote:If you're sure that you're taking June 2014, start studying now if you have the time.

If you put in the work, you can assure a high score by your administration.

(I wouldn't listen to advice that is like "Chill, bro, just start studying three months out and you'll be fine.", as it likely comes from people who are not experienced with studying and then taking the actual test, or are mediocre LSAT takers.)
this, by and large.

i mean, there is some merit to the argument that you could potentially finish mastering sections early and then move on from them only to lose some of the skill you had by test day.

at the same time, if you spend the entire time learning the test backwards and just retaking PTs over and over again until test day you'd likely do very well.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jeffyl00b

New

Post by jeffyl00b » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:28 pm

Be careful you don't burn out, and then run out of sample questions too. Once i take a break from doing them, it's hard to get back into the harder games.

I guess the best advice sounds to be a compromise, learn them, but don't overkill 2 years too early. Especially if you're the type that will get cocky and overconfident and stop doing them that much in the last year :)

bdeebs

Bronze

Post by bdeebs » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:36 pm

Nova wrote:IMO, you would be better off improving your RC over the next 18 months. AR is cake and can be mastered quickly.

I agree that games are fun. I already took the LSAT, but incorporated an AR section into my workout today. 10 pull ups, game 1, 10 pull ups, game 2, 10 pull ups, game 3, 10 pull ups, game 4, 10 pull ups. -2 on the section. Just like on test day :shock:
Under 35 minutes? I'm doing this btw. hahaha

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:41 pm

bdeebs wrote:
Nova wrote:IMO, you would be better off improving your RC over the next 18 months. AR is cake and can be mastered quickly.

Under 35 minutes? I'm doing this btw. hahaha
Yup :D

danshupp

New

Post by danshupp » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:07 am

piney wrote:There are probably more interesting things you could do for fun, but I don't think it could hurt. I've been going through the LG Bible for a few weeks now, and I find it really helps. I've only done a dozen games or so, but my speed has increased, even though anything besides linear games still takes me well over 10 minutes to do. It reminds me of physics or geometry in that there's a very mechanical solution to every problem. The hard part is identifying the solution and solving the game in a short amount of time. If you study now and stick with it over the next two years, it might become second nature like math does for a lot of people. But if you study now and give it up in a few months, I don't think any progress you make will help you in 2 years' time.

Also, check out this site, which has video explanations for every game going back to October 1999: http://7sage.com/logic-game-explanations/
An excellent tool I just discovered last night (I can't believe it's free), and you might consider enrolling for the course since it's affordable.
Holy Crap!! What a great site!!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”