Bringing a Watch

DaRascal

Bringing a Watch

Postby DaRascal » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:13 am

I have an analog watch but I think it's kind of silly to bring a watch to the LSAT because:
A) Every second could matter so looking down at it every 5 or 10 minutes could cost you valuable seconds.
B) I never wore a watch when I took PTs so wearing a watch tomorrow will take a psychological toll on me.
C) You'll know when you're taking too long and there's probably a clock in the testing room.

What are your thoughts about this?

odutayo2

Re: Bringing a Watch

Postby odutayo2 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:19 am

Well then dont bring a watch. Some people dont know when they're taking too long and so a watch can be very helpful. Even for those who are pretty good at sensing the time, anxiety on test day can sometimes distort your sense of time. I'd say it couldnt hurt to bring one, but if you think having a watch will take a toll on you psychologically then its pretty clear its best that you dont bring one. It was a little hard for me initially to stop looking at the timer every 5 or so minutes, but I've cut that habit out. And as you mentioned, its a pretty important habit to kick as you could waste a lot of time checking your watch every few minutes

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:23 am

I brought a watch last time and all I did was stare at it every couple of minutes. It freaked me out. You should have your timing down and sense of how long to take on each question.

cc.celina

Postby cc.celina » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:24 am

Don't bring one if you don't need one. You need to have been practicing with a watch to train yourself not to look down at it. Personally I don't let myself look at it in LR until after I hit question 15 or so, and then I look at it 2-3 times after that. I look at it once after every passage/game. If you can't make yourself not check it every 2-3 questions, and you have a pretty decent sense of time, don't bring one.

On the subject of watches, this one is ok, right? #icanttelltime
http://www.lsattimer.com/

VasaVasori

Postby VasaVasori » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:29 am

Last edited by VasaVasori on Sat May 02, 2015 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fletcher Reed

Postby Fletcher Reed » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:35 am

Last edited by Fletcher Reed on Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

cc.celina

Postby cc.celina » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:36 am

Is there no distinction between a watch and a timer? I thought "timer" referred to anything not-watchlike

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:47 am

Fletcher Reed wrote:This could be construed as a countdown timer.

"Time. Supervisors will keep the official time. You may take an analog (nondigital) wristwatch to the test center. No other timers—including electronic and countdown timers—are allowed." - lsac.org

Oh for God's sake, stop scaring people! No test proctor is gonna bitch you out on that.

In regards to OP:
It's your test, you don't have to wear a watch. I think it's stupid, but if you're really that worried about it, sure go ahead.

In the 3 tests I took, every deskmate I had either forgot or 'didn't need' a watch. The two who forgot happily looked off of mine. The one who 'didn't need it' cancelled his test halfway through the 2nd section. He hadn't done half the problems I had.

Post hoc, ergo propter hoc and all that. Still, I think good time management is critical, and it's pretty hard to have good time management when you don't know what the time is.

automaticfortheppl

Postby automaticfortheppl » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:48 pm

I'm planning on setting my watch at 12:00 and leaving the pin out until section 1 starts. Then reset to 12:00 after the break.

sjwest

Postby sjwest » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:33 pm

I'm doing something similar, but I'm setting my watch to 11:25, so both hands will point straight up at 12 when time is up.

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:31 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:

"Time. Supervisors will keep the official time. You may take an analog (nondigital) wristwatch to the test center. No other timers—including electronic and countdown timers—are allowed." - lsac.org

In regards to OP:
In the 3 tests I took, every deskmate I had either forgot or 'didn't need' a watch. The two who forgot happily looked off of mine. The one who 'didn't need it' cancelled his test halfway through the 2nd section. He hadn't done half the problems I had.

Cheater! Cheater! Scotusnerd is a cheater! I'm reporting you to LSAAAAAC... :cry:

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:42 pm

DaRascal wrote:
Scotusnerd wrote:

In regards to OP:

Cheater! Cheater! Scotusnerd is a cheater! I'm reporting you to LSAAAAAC... :cry:

:shock: !

Oh noes!

In all seriousness, I just had my watch on the corner of my desk. Not my fault they could look at it. :wink:

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:43 pm

Bring a watch people, also, breathe.

top30man

Postby top30man » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:51 pm

Br3v wrote:Bring a watch people, also, breathe.

Breathing and relaxing is Tcr.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:57 pm

While your at it, don't bring a pencil, or ID.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:59 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:While your at it, don't bring a pencil, or ID.

I like you

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:12 pm

The 180 watch was officially cleared by LSAC. I'm sure the same can be said for the lsattimer

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:16 pm

A little off topic but...

I feel really confident and I want to just ATTACK that LSAT, however my palms are a little bit sweaty and my hearts beating kind of fast. Can someone please explain this?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:44 pm

DaRascal wrote:A little off topic but...

I feel really confident and I want to just ATTACK that LSAT, however my palms are a little bit sweaty and my hearts beating kind of fast. Can someone please explain this?

adrenaline?

Fletcher Reed

Postby Fletcher Reed » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:47 pm

Last edited by Fletcher Reed on Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:28 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
DaRascal wrote:A little off topic but...

adrenaline?

Haha just calm down rascal. Destroy the test tomorrow

TheColonel

Postby TheColonel » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:30 pm

If you haven't been using a watch, don't bring a watch. If it takes you 5-10 seconds to tell time with an analog watch, don't bring a watch. I personally will be bringing one.

Whatever you do, don't rely on the proctor to call 5 minutes. There have been oodles of stories of proctors either not calling the time at all or forgetting until only a minute or two are left.

I check the time at the end of the first three RC passages, the end of the first three games, and at the 10, 15, and 20 question mark in LR. I know where I should be time wise at these "check points" so I pick up the speed if necessary or slow down a little bit if I'm ahead of schedule.

mowmissy

Postby mowmissy » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:59 am

I would never actually "wear" the watch, it's definitely going on the table. A quick glance up a few inches on the desk does not distract me that much, it really helps me keep my cool because I am reassured that I'm on track.

I love my analog watch so much that.. I'm bringing 3!!! All pre-set to noon, then I'll push the knob in and 1,2,3, go! (For each section, then fix them at the break). Target sells them for cheap... it's not too late... :) :shock:

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”