LSAT Prep Course vs Private Tutor

trildog1091

LSAT Prep Course vs Private Tutor

Postby trildog1091 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:13 pm

Hey guys-
I am preparing to take the October test and have decided that I am either going to take a prep course or higher a private tutor. I have been looking at courses and tutoring offered by Power Score. My diagnostic was a 155 with no previous studying. Is there any advantages/disadvantages to either option. I am fortunate and my parents are willing to pay for either so cost is not an issue.

Mal Reynolds

Re: LSAT Prep Course vs Private Tutor

Postby Mal Reynolds » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:17 pm

Buy the two powerscore bibles. Read those cover to cover by yourself. Take a practice test after you've done all the work in there. If you're in the 160s which seems likely if you're already at a 155, I would keep practicing with the cambridge practice materials and supplement your studying with a tutor on the back end. You can probably do a lot of the initial stuff on your own if you have the drive. If you can't motivate yourself then maybe a class is a better idea. But I would think self-study and a tutor a little later on to focus on your personal weaknesses would be the best.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:42 pm

trildog1091 wrote:Hey guys-
I am preparing to take the October test and have decided that I am either going to take a prep course or higher a private tutor. I have been looking at courses and tutoring offered by Power Score. My diagnostic was a 155 with no previous studying. Is there any advantages/disadvantages to either option. I am fortunate and my parents are willing to pay for either so cost is not an issue.

You can read some first-hand accounts of students in the major prep classes here - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=151670

If you have any questions about Blueprint's courses, just shoot me a PM!

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:46 pm

I had a private tutor. It's hit or miss. Just because someone has a high score doesn't mean they are able to adequately transfer that knowledge on to others.

A guy in the NFL may make a shitty high school coach because he just "got it" and never had to learn basic skills because he was blessed with them already.

tigyrgrl

Postby tigyrgrl » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:32 pm

I have actually been working with my old logic professor to prep for the LSAT. He doesn't really consider himself a tutor, but he has definitely helped me kick butt on the practice games. I don't know if this is an option for you, but it is working out great for me.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”