Real Life LR Flaw

SingleLadies
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:46 pm

Real Life LR Flaw

Postby SingleLadies » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:20 am

This made me laugh because I have actually seen this flaw a few times in PT's.

http://i.imgur.com/sBuY0.jpg

User avatar
LSAT Blog
Posts: 1262
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: Real Life LR Flaw

Postby LSAT Blog » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:36 am

Yep, absence of evidence flaw. I like where your head's at.

On the other hand...

Image

User avatar
StarLightSpectre
Posts: 339
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:32 pm

Re: Real Life LR Flaw

Postby StarLightSpectre » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:38 am

+1

Worst part of this is that I automantically entered LSAT mode when reading... gotta attack those questions mane.

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: Real Life LR Flaw

Postby 03152016 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:19 am

.
Last edited by 03152016 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
StarLightSpectre
Posts: 339
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:32 pm

Re: Real Life LR Flaw

Postby StarLightSpectre » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:32 am

Max324 wrote:Relevant: http://imgur.com/a/1mj2j#0



I just... don't... what.

dkb17xzx
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: Real Life LR Flaw

Postby dkb17xzx » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:59 am

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/want-a-9- ... e-gym.html


The article tries explaining a bit; but the title certainly is a massive LR fail

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Real Life LR Flaw

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:03 pm

SingleLadies wrote:This made me laugh because I have actually seen this flaw a few times in PT's.

http://i.imgur.com/sBuY0.jpg

there's also the flaw of assuming that if one alternative is correct, another alternative is invalidated

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: Real Life LR Flaw

Postby 03152016 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:04 pm

.
Last edited by 03152016 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
elterrible78
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:09 am

Re: Real Life LR Flaw

Postby elterrible78 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:11 pm

Max324 wrote:Relevant: http://imgur.com/a/1mj2j#0


That is spectacular...so much goodness. The part about natural selection being confirmed by the bible was especially helpful. I'd always wondered how evolution's staunchest disbelievers were usually the most vocal advocates of social Darwinism's benefits. Now I know!

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Real Life LR Flaw

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:17 pm

I believe that the earth was created, but that it has evolved since that point. I think it's stupid that a lot of other Christians think that everything was put in place the way that it currently is. Evolution and creation are not necessarily mutually exclusive. You can hate on my belief in God or creation or whatever, but at least I still believe that science is really a thing.

User avatar
elterrible78
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:09 am

Re: Real Life LR Flaw

Postby elterrible78 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:04 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:I believe that the earth was created, but that it has evolved since that point. I think it's stupid that a lot of other Christians think that everything was put in place the way that it currently is. Evolution and creation are not necessarily mutually exclusive. You can hate on my belief in God or creation or whatever, but at least I still believe that science is really a thing.


I don't think the concept of God and the concept of evolution/science are at odds at all.

User avatar
StarLightSpectre
Posts: 339
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:32 pm

Re: Real Life LR Flaw

Postby StarLightSpectre » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:17 pm

elterrible78 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:I believe that the earth was created, but that it has evolved since that point. I think it's stupid that a lot of other Christians think that everything was put in place the way that it currently is. Evolution and creation are not necessarily mutually exclusive. You can hate on my belief in God or creation or whatever, but at least I still believe that science is really a thing.


I don't think the concept of God and the concept of evolution/science are at odds at all.



Agreed. But it's things like this that make me want to punch a nun. It sounds like a religiously fanatic Calvin and Hobbs strip.

"Dad, how do you explain fossils?"
"Well son, there was this garden once..."

User avatar
elterrible78
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:09 am

Re: Real Life LR Flaw

Postby elterrible78 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:51 pm

StarLightSpectre wrote:
elterrible78 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:I believe that the earth was created, but that it has evolved since that point. I think it's stupid that a lot of other Christians think that everything was put in place the way that it currently is. Evolution and creation are not necessarily mutually exclusive. You can hate on my belief in God or creation or whatever, but at least I still believe that science is really a thing.


I don't think the concept of God and the concept of evolution/science are at odds at all.



Agreed. But it's things like this that make me want to punch a nun. It sounds like a religiously fanatic Calvin and Hobbs strip.

"Dad, how do you explain fossils?"
"Well son, there was this garden once..."


Absolutely. I once drove from Albuquerque to Nashville with a very good friend who happens to be quite a devout Southern Baptist, and these kinds of issues came up along the way. Mind you, this guy was a BIOLOGY major, of all things. And he answered some of my "how does the Bible account for this?" questions with unbelievably tortuous, convoluted, and contrived logic. I mean, just bending over backwards to come up with answers that made "sense." But the classic dinosaur question? "Well, carbon dating is not exact science..."

Doh.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Real Life LR Flaw

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:14 pm

the dumbest thing a lot of Christians believe WRT origin science is that they think that if God created the earth, it has to still be the way it was made then. They also think that it matters exactly how many years ago the world was made. Both of these things are insignificant for believing in creation. I understand that if my belief that the world was created by God is false, my understanding of origins is invalidated, but that doesn't mean that my belief regarding how things have become the way they are is any less accurate.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexandros, Bing [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 7 guests