Methods of Approaching Games

lawschool2014hopeful

Methods of Approaching Games

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:31 pm

Hey All,

I was wondering what are some different methods there are available in approaching games

I have read through Powerscore and glimpsed through Kaplan (which is really just powerscore with different terms)

I was wondering if there any other significant different approaches out there that is worth giving a try?

(Feel kinda of stuck/dumb at games atm), can do them perfectly, but takes me 15-25min per game.

Micdiddy

Re: Methods of Approaching Games

Postby Micdiddy » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:34 pm

MLSAT also has a games book I hear is good. For my money, re-devote yourself to learning the Powerscore method. If you truly internalize everything in that book games shouldn't be too much of a problem.

lawschool2014hopeful

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:37 pm

Micdiddy wrote:MLSAT also has a games book I hear is good. For my money, re-devote yourself to learning the Powerscore method. If you truly internalize everything in that book games shouldn't be too much of a problem.

ML= Manhattan?

I might just end up re-reading PS LG bible the 3rd time, but I would like to see a different method if possible, especially after my experience with Manhattan RC, their approach felt 123123% more natural than PS. I was thinking other methods might fit me better.

Mr.Binks

Postby Mr.Binks » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:40 pm

jimmierock wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:MLSAT also has a games book I hear is good. For my money, re-devote yourself to learning the Powerscore method. If you truly internalize everything in that book games shouldn't be too much of a problem.

ML= Manhattan?

I might just end up re-reading PS LG bible the 3rd time, but I would like to see a different method if possible, especially after my experience with Manhattan RC, their approach felt 123123% more natural than PS. I was thinking other methods might fit me better.

Yeah, PS RC is awful. I liked Manhattan's way more.

I found PS LGB and Manhattan LG to both be quite useful, though I felt that Velocity's method for just about everything was more intuitive.

lawschool2014hopeful

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:41 pm

Mr.Binks wrote:
jimmierock wrote:

ML= Manhattan?

Yeah, PS RC is awful. I liked Manhattan's way more.

I found PS LGB and Manhattan LG to both be quite useful, though I felt that Velocity's method for just about everything was more intuitive.

Is there a book? or do I have to sign up for $300 course?

rglifberg

Postby rglifberg » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:17 pm

I took the Velocity LG online class and it helped me out a lot more than the LG Bible.

lawschool2014hopeful

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:20 pm

rglifberg wrote:I took the Velocity LG online class and it helped me out a lot more than the LG Bible.

Is there any other way to get Velocity's methods without the $300 part?

rglifberg

Postby rglifberg » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:30 pm

jimmierock wrote:
rglifberg wrote:I took the Velocity LG online class and it helped me out a lot more than the LG Bible.

i did the paperless version completely online and I think it was less than that, but that's the only way. I thought it was definitely worth the money. LG used to be my worst section.

lawschool2014hopeful

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:00 pm

rglifberg wrote:
jimmierock wrote:

i did the paperless version completely online and I think it was less than that, but that's the only way. I thought it was definitely worth the money. LG used to be my worst section.

$275 is the cheapest option, ill go that route if there is no alternative, is there anything else out there cheaper worth giving a try first?

rglifberg

Postby rglifberg » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:10 pm

jimmierock wrote:
rglifberg wrote:
jimmierock wrote:

$275 is the cheapest option, ill go that route if there is no alternative, is there anything else out there cheaper worth giving a try first?

Try the books mentioned above and see what works for you. I didn't like the Powerscore/Testmasters approach so much just because they relied so heavily on making deductions.

Mr.Binks

Postby Mr.Binks » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:27 pm

Depending on where you're scoring now and where you want to be scoring by test time, I would highly recommend Velocity.

Although self-studying with Manhattan, PS, etc. books works for a lot of people, I found that my most significant score increase came from Velocity. It's good shit.

lawschool2014hopeful

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:19 pm

Mr.Binks wrote:Depending on where you're scoring now and where you want to be scoring by test time, I would highly recommend Velocity.

Although self-studying with Manhattan, PS, etc. books works for a lot of people, I found that my most significant score increase came from Velocity. It's good shit.

Ideally I want to score perfect, I have just begun doing LG for the last week. I will be writing in Oct of course. Should I be concerned about where I am right now? 15-25min per game? When is it a good sign say fk these systems are not working and give another a try (e.g., velocity)?

rglifberg

Postby rglifberg » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:36 pm

jimmierock wrote:
Mr.Binks wrote:Depending on where you're scoring now and where you want to be scoring by test time, I would highly recommend Velocity.

Ideally I want to score perfect, I have just begun doing LG for the last week. I will be writing in Oct of course. Should I be concerned about where I am right now? 15-25min per game? When is it a good sign say fk these systems are not working and give another a try (e.g., velocity)?

The speed comes with practice and doing enough games. I used to take about 10-15 minutes per game, now I usually finish the entire section with 2-3 minutes to spare.

lawschool2014hopeful

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:04 am

rglifberg wrote:
jimmierock wrote:

The speed comes with practice and doing enough games. I used to take about 10-15 minutes per game, now I usually finish the entire section with 2-3 minutes to spare.

how long did it take you? 100+ games?

rglifberg

Postby rglifberg » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:19 am

I would say it took me about 2 months to really get LG down. I did just about every game ever, some multiple times. After you do enough of them they all start to seem like carbon copies of each other.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”