Seeking LSAT Prep Guidance (details inside)

nsideirish

Seeking LSAT Prep Guidance (details inside)

Postby nsideirish » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:10 pm

Little backdrop to my situation:
Took the LSAT once as a naive college kid...minimal study and scored a 159 (regret doing that). Decided to retake in October of my junior year. Ordered the Bibles and studied on my own for a few months fairly intensely. Was PT'ing in the 164-170 range and scored a 165. After doing a bunch of research, the gloom and doom scared me off from the range of schools I was accepted to with that score. I decided to work a few years out of school.

I have been working doing legal research at a fairly well-known, busy law firm for 2 years now. I decided I would give the LSAT another go with a 170+ as my goal. Signed up for June (this Monday) and began self-studying in March. Followed a decent schedule but work got in the way a lot causing me to skip or condense things here and there. Began taking PTs a few weeks ago and they have ranged from 166-174. However, my last two PT's (PT61 and PT64 have been a disappointing 166 and 167). I am fairly certain I will be cancelling this sitting and signing up for October (this cancellation does not show up on my record and causes no harm--except $$--correct?)

My question is what would be the best way for me to prep for October. It seems self-studying can only get me so far. I really want to be consistently PT'ing in the 170s. Every once in a while, a RC section will nab me for a -5 or -6 or a game that will stump me for a -4. LR seems pretty consistent in the -2 to -4 range. I cannot do an in person prep course as my hours at work fluctuate too much. I am looking at Blueprint, Powerscore Virtual or maybe even a tutor. Would these courses be able to break me out of the high 160s and into the 170s consistently?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and sorry for the lengthy post.

dowu

Re: Seeking LSAT Prep Guidance (details inside)

Postby dowu » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:13 pm

nsideirish wrote:Little backdrop to my situation:
Took the LSAT once as a naive college kid...minimal study and scored a 159 (regret doing that). Decided to retake in October of my junior year. Ordered the Bibles and studied on my own for a few months fairly intensely. Was PT'ing in the 164-170 range and scored a 165. After doing a bunch of research, the gloom and doom scared me off from the range of schools I was accepted to with that score. I decided to work a few years out of school.

I have been working doing legal research at a fairly well-known, busy law firm for 2 years now. I decided I would give the LSAT another go with a 170+ as my goal. Signed up for June (this Monday) and began self-studying in March. Followed a decent schedule but work got in the way a lot causing me to skip or condense things here and there. Began taking PTs a few weeks ago and they have ranged from 166-174. However, my last two PT's (PT61 and PT64 have been a disappointing 166 and 167). I am fairly certain I will be cancelling this sitting and signing up for October (this cancellation does not show up on my record and causes no harm--except $$--correct?)

My question is what would be the best way for me to prep for October. It seems self-studying can only get me so far. I really want to be consistently PT'ing in the 170s. Every once in a while, a RC section will nab me for a -5 or -6 or a game that will stump me for a -4. LR seems pretty consistent in the -2 to -4 range. I cannot do an in person prep course as my hours at work fluctuate too much. I am looking at Blueprint, Powerscore Virtual or maybe even a tutor. Would these courses be able to break me out of the high 160s and into the 170s consistently?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and sorry for the lengthy post.

Yes, no harm in cancelling (besides losing money) as LONG AS you cancel prior to the night before the test. I think, and from being in the same boat as you, is that I should follow a study plan, and focus more on my weakest sections. I dont know very much about tutors, but I think if you have the bucks, and can find your weaknesses, you should get a tutor to help with that extra push.

Good luck!

bp shinners

Re: Seeking LSAT Prep Guidance (details inside)

Postby bp shinners » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:44 pm

nsideirish wrote: I am fairly certain I will be cancelling this sitting and signing up for October (this cancellation does not show up on my record and causes no harm--except $$--correct?)

If you don't want it to show up on your score report, you need to Withdraw (which is different than cancelling) before midnight, the night before the test. You can do it online or by calling up LSAT. If you wait until the day of the exam/after the exam, it will show up on your record.

If you have any specific questions about Blueprint's online course, just shoot me a PM and I'm more than happy to answer!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”