Sleeping Pill

TERS

Sleeping Pill

Postby TERS » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:26 am

I'm thinking anxiety might keep me up on LSAT eve. Sleeping pill or no? (don't take any currently)

Br3v

Re: Sleeping Pill

Postby Br3v » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:27 am

TERS wrote:I'm thinking anxiety might keep me up on LSAT eve. Sleeping pill or no? (don't take any currently)

no.

tmon

Postby tmon » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:28 am

Don't do it if you've never tried it. Do something physically tiring that day instead.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:31 am

TERS wrote:I'm thinking anxiety might keep me up on LSAT eve. Sleeping pill or no? (don't take any currently)

My boss took a sleeping pill the night before his LSAT and slept right through his alarm and missed the test. His was an 8:30 test though, for 12:30 it shouldn't be too bad.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:32 am

exercising hardcore the day before to sleep could increase anxiety. imagine if you were physically tired but still couldn't sleep. then all during the exam you'd be low on energy. just try to sleep as much as you can the week before and chill the day before and if you don't sleep, no big deal. many people have performed super well on 2-3 hours of sleep.

TERS

Postby TERS » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:45 am

Sleeping through the alarms (plural) isn't a concern--I have wake up covered. I was more just wondering about efficacy and feelings of grogginess the next morning...

tmon

Postby tmon » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:50 am

FWIW I wasn't recommending "go lift weights for four hours" or something similarly stupid. Most people don't need "exercising hardcore" to feel a little sleepier than usual when the go to bed. Go for a long bike ride or walk, be outside a lot during the day if it's nice, go to the beach, whatever. Do something active that also takes your mind off the stress as much as possible, around other people who will keep you occupied if possible. Don't overthink this, but also I really wouldn't take the risk of trying something new like a sleeping pill unless you think it's a really serious need.

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:00 am

You can get Melatonin at the grocery store, it's not a drug, just a natural supplement. Take one before bed time and you'll fall asleep faster and sleep more heavily, at least based off my experience.

Doesn't fuck you up like a sleeping drug, but allocate an extra hour to sleep if you never used it before just so you don't feel tired when you wake up. It does make waking up more difficult for me, but that's just because I'm sleeping so much harder than I do without it.

tmon

Postby tmon » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:00 am

f7 wrote:
tmon wrote:FWIW I wasn't recommending "go lift weights for four hours" or something similarly stupid. Most people don't need "exercising hardcore" to feel a little sleepier than usual when the go to bed. Go for a long bike ride or walk, be outside a lot during the day if it's nice, go to the beach, whatever. Do something active that also takes your mind off the stress as much as possible, around other people who will keep you occupied if possible. Don't overthink this, but also I really wouldn't take the risk of trying something new like a sleeping pill unless you think it's a really serious need.

That is to say, just fap.

Ahem:
around other people who will keep you occupied if possible.

Orgy, obviously.

thestalkmore

Postby thestalkmore » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:09 am

Planning on taking half of an ambien.

lynch

Postby lynch » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:12 am

No, Just relax your self, don't think too much that won't help you!

suzige

Postby suzige » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:21 am

I had a horrible allergic reaction a few days ago to some cream I used and have since been taking a benedryl at night before bed. I've been prepping all day so I didn't want to get drowsy until bedtime. I've come to find that one benedryl before bed really knocks me out nicely :)

However, if you've never taken a sleeping aid before, don't do it Sunday night. Try it out tonight and see how it goes (if you need it to help you sleep), but don't be experimenting hours before the test.

I agree with everyone else that some exercise might do you wonders. I've been taking brisk walks early every morning, and that has helped immensely.

glucose101

Postby glucose101 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:17 pm

Obv you don't wanna intro something completely new into your routine--but you also dont' wanna intro not sleeping into your routine either. I suggest you try experimenting now, and with the lightest dosage so you aren't entirely affected--just enough to get you to sleep and that's it. (Personally, I'd rather wake up semi hazy, esp if you have all morning to wake up for an afternoon exam, than stay up all night.)

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:31 pm

Just don't be anxious. Have an expectation for you score, be okay with it, relax doing moderate "keep the muscles warm" prep the week before, have a beer, go to bed early, wake up, take a jog, eat a good breakfast, and do it up.

No, sleeping pills are bad.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:32 pm

Don't do anything not in your normal routine. Monday morning is not the day to find out that a sleeping pill leaves you groggy for half the day.

Most importantly, if you don't get a good night's sleep, DON'T FREAK OUT. It won't kill your LSAT score unless you let it. Your brain can function just fine on a single iffy night of sleep. It can't function fine if you're giving yourself an aneurisym worrying that you didn't sleep well and now you're going to fail and omg now you're not going to get into a good school and you'll have to go to Cooley and your life is over omg omg omg.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:38 pm

Ativan worked for me and it is short acting. Take it a couple nights before. Same problem I had during law school.

Systematic1

Postby Systematic1 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:08 pm

Drink a cup of Chamomile.

Young Hemingway

Postby Young Hemingway » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:24 pm

Chew some valerian root and get more exercise.

ScratchableItch

Postby ScratchableItch » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:46 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Don't do anything not in your normal routine. Monday morning is not the day to find out that a sleeping pill leaves you groggy for half the day.

Most importantly, if you don't get a good night's sleep, DON'T FREAK OUT. It won't kill your LSAT score unless you let it. Your brain can function just fine on a single iffy night of sleep. It can't function fine if you're giving yourself an aneurisym worrying that you didn't sleep well and now you're going to fail and omg now you're not going to get into a good school and you'll have to go to Cooley and your life is over omg omg omg.

This is great advice. I'm am a terrible sleeper, and the night before I took my October test I probably slept two hours. I had such bad anxiety.

But then in the morning I stayed positive, drank some coffee, and scored right at my practice test average.

Just be confident in yourself, think about all the work you did and how prepared you are, and you'll do just fine.

TERS

Postby TERS » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:19 pm

Yeah, I'm leaning towards not taking one at this point. Thanks for all the words peeps (I loled at the "just don't be anxious" response)

jkpolk

Postby jkpolk » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:24 pm

I drank beers the night before, worked well for me

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:29 pm

If you liked that, you'll love this: I advise that you do be anxious but in control for the actual test. It'll sharpen your faculties. Think of it like "fight or flight." If you need help, remind yourself how important the next few hours of your life will be as you walk into your test room. (It helped me...)

Also, for the love of God, two things: a) if you're in a good "fight or flight" mode, you'll need raisins after the break. Your brain will get tired and need sugar. And b) your first logic game or logical reasoning question the day of the test should not be on the ACTUAL TEST. So, when you get to the test center, don't be nice or sociable like everyone else. Go find a corner and practice a logic games, do five logical reasoning questions, and then go explore the test center...walk around a bit, try to open locked doors. It's fun...be back in time for the test.

You might actually do better than you think you will.

MrShneebly

Postby MrShneebly » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:29 pm

polkij333 wrote:I drank beers the night before, worked well for me

I took a couple shots of JD and an advil pm, went to bed at 9. Results were fine.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:29 pm

polkij333 wrote:I drank beers the night before, worked well for me

hells yea.

MrShneebly

Postby MrShneebly » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:30 pm

manofjustice wrote:If you liked that, you'll love this: I advise that you do be anxious but in control for the actual test. It'll sharpen your faculties. Think of it like "fight or flight." If you need help, remind yourself how important the next few hours of your life will be as you walk into your test room. (It helped me...)

Also, for the love of God, two things: a) if you're in a good "fight or flight" mode, you'll need raisins after the break. Your brain will get tired and need sugar. And b) your first logic game or logical reasoning question the day of the test should not be on the ACTUAL TEST. So, when you get to the test center, don't be nice or sociable like everyone else. Go find a corner and practice a logic games, do five logical reasoning questions, and then go explore the test center...walk around a bit, try to open locked doors. It's fun...be back in time for the test.

You might actually do better than you think you will.

not sure if srs.jpg

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”