Anybody with ADD or ADHD taking the LSAT?

UltraNonTraditional

Anybody with ADD or ADHD taking the LSAT?

Postby UltraNonTraditional » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:55 pm

Just wanting to know if any of you who have taken or are preparing to take the LSAT have ADD/ADHD and if so, what has your experience been like?

princeR

Re: Anybody with ADD or ADHD taking the LSAT?

Postby princeR » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:10 pm

Yes, I was diagnosed 4 years ago. I know what the next question is going to be, "should I take adderal". Honestly, it's completely subjective (obviously). Maybe take it for a couple of PT's early in your prep and see how it feels. Personally, I could DESTROY LG, but that's a section that you should be able to get -0 on regardless. However, I lost the ability to really make the logical connections in LR and in RC I would get too focused on all of the minute details. This will be a challenge for you, but just push through it and you will learn a lot about yourself. Good luck!

UltraNonTraditional

Postby UltraNonTraditional » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:29 pm

Thanks, Prince. I'm pretty terrified about the RC. Well, in general, I'm terrified about the whole test. LOL. But my greatest concern is the RC because I zone out if something doesn't grab my attention. I can easily see myself having to read it 4 times before I actually realize what I'm reading. Needless to say, that concerns me. I do copy editing at work, and sometimes I have to read an article 3 times before I even realize what it's about. Of course there's no time for that on the LSAT.

I can also see myself getting caught up on the minutiae. I'm good at that. LOL. I've never taken any meds for it, but there have been many times when I thought I should have. I don't want to mess this up and wish I had gotten some Rx help.

Helicio

Postby Helicio » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:07 pm

I have ADHD and won't be taking medicine. I tried meds out a week and a half ago and felt like I could do great on LG but LR and RC were really a challenge.

I've been drinking a coffee plus a Red Bull before practice tests now and that has been working great for me. You might want to try that out.

Good luck peeps :).

StarLightSpectre

Postby StarLightSpectre » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:24 pm

Have it and taking in June.

I tried with out adderal in Oct couldn't keep focus. RC was never good always -5 to -7. Would start reading and suddenly notice my mind had wondered from the text. LG was ok.

Now it's weird for me to miss more the 2/3 on RC. LR has improved too since I don't miss details as much anymore because of the improved focus. LG is now -1 most of the time.

However, I do come closer to running out of time a lot more, since I get caught up in the details of each question on RC/LR and do way to many unneeded hypotheticals on LG.

But like princeR says it's subjective.

rabbitrun

Postby rabbitrun » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:43 pm

princeR wrote:Yes, I was diagnosed 4 years ago. I know what the next question is going to be, "should I take adderal". Honestly, it's completely subjective (obviously). Maybe take it for a couple of PT's early in your prep and see how it feels. Personally, I could DESTROY LG, but that's a section that you should be able to get -0 on regardless. However, I lost the ability to really make the logical connections in LR and in RC I would get too focused on all of the minute details. This will be a challenge for you, but just push through it and you will learn a lot about yourself. Good luck!

I agree. I take Concerta, not Adderal, and the difference on LG with/without is ridiculous. I still consistently get -0/1, but with concerta I sometimes finish 5-10 minutes early. I wish I could use that extra time for RC because I get so obsessively detail oriented. The terribly irony in this is that I was an English major and I read ~800-1000 pages a week sometimes.

I'm still debating whether or not I should drink caffeine as well. I feel like I get kind of burnt out during section 3 & 4 (immediately before and after the break), especially if its RC, but if I accidentally get too caffeinated/consume too much sugar, I get kind of OCD about everything. Plus, I'm assuming that my heart is going to be beating out of my chest anyway because of all the stress :shock:

....also doing hippie shit like breathing exercises and yoga before has been helping me stay focused.

StarLightSpectre

Postby StarLightSpectre » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:53 pm

I'm thinking of trying taking a dose of adderal with a small caffeine tab before the test and a half dose at break (and depending on how I feel maybe more caffeine).

BUT I admit, I'm oh so terrible at focusing on anything. So bad. So I may just be an outlier as far as that goes.

princeR

Postby princeR » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:37 pm

I take 400 mg caffeine, 100 mg L-Theanine (just green tea extract. If you want to buy some, make sure you buy the brand Suntheanine because its actual green tea extract) everyday, and when I PT I add in 100 mg vitamin B6.

Mr.Binks

Postby Mr.Binks » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:25 pm

princeR wrote:Yes, I was diagnosed 4 years ago. I know what the next question is going to be, "should I take adderal". Honestly, it's completely subjective (obviously). Maybe take it for a couple of PT's early in your prep and see how it feels. Personally, I could DESTROY LG, but that's a section that you should be able to get -0 on regardless. However, I lost the ability to really make the logical connections in LR and in RC I would get too focused on all of the minute details. This will be a challenge for you, but just push through it and you will learn a lot about yourself. Good luck!

I had this problem as well in December. >.<

UltraNonTraditional

Postby UltraNonTraditional » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:19 pm

princeR wrote:I take 400 mg caffeine, 100 mg L-Theanine (just green tea extract. If you want to buy some, make sure you buy the brand Suntheanine because its actual green tea extract) everyday, and when I PT I add in 100 mg vitamin B6.

Prince this is kinda a dumb question, since one might assume you wouldn't take it if you didn't notice a difference, but I have to ask anyway.... does that combo really work for you? Does it help you focus better? Is the difference noticeable (to you)?

princeR

Postby princeR » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:54 pm

UltraNonTraditional wrote:
princeR wrote:I take 400 mg caffeine, 100 mg L-Theanine (just green tea extract. If you want to buy some, make sure you buy the brand Suntheanine because its actual green tea extract) everyday, and when I PT I add in 100 mg vitamin B6.

Prince this is kinda a dumb question, since one might assume you wouldn't take it if you didn't notice a difference, but I have to ask anyway.... does that combo really work for you? Does it help you focus better? Is the difference noticeable (to you)?

I've done quite a bit of "research", i.e. online resources and other anecdotal accounts, but L-Theanine and caffeine are considered to be very synergistic. I definitely like the combo and I think it promotes alertness without the jitteryness of straight caffeine. I would recommend it. You could even google "L-Theanine/Caffeine" and see that it is a very common nootropic combination.

Helicio

Postby Helicio » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:07 pm

princeR wrote:

I've done quite a bit of "research", i.e. online resources and other anecdotal accounts, but L-Theanine and caffeine are considered to be very synergistic. I definitely like the combo and I think it promotes alertness without the jitteryness of straight caffeine. I would recommend it. You could even google "L-Theanine/Caffeine" and see that it is a very common nootropic combination.

I'm going to buy L-Theanine tomorrow to try this out.

Question: Does it work right away? Or does it have to build up in my system first?

princeR

Postby princeR » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:14 pm

Helicio wrote:
princeR wrote:

I'm going to buy L-Theanine tomorrow to try this out.

Question: Does it work right away? Or does it have to build up in my system first?

Works pretty fast. It is a green tea extra. Whereas Americans/Europeans live off of caffeine, the Japanese live off of green tea. Make sure you get the brand "Suntheanine". Mine come in 100 MG capsules. I take them with 2 200 MG Caffeine. You wont notice anything crazy by any means, it just negates the terrible side effects, i.e. jittery of caffeine. I highly recommend it!

Helicio

Postby Helicio » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:32 pm

Awesome, thanks a lot man. I'll try this tomorrow. I get super jittery on caffeine so this should help.

Honey_Badger

Postby Honey_Badger » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:51 pm

I intermittently take Vyvanse, not Adderall...I was trying to go without, but I was wandering during my PTs--it was BAD. I saw a huge difference in my performance (and certainly in my confidence) with/without meds.
But again, I take it anyways, so I know what to expect. I wouldn't suggest someone who normally doesn't take it try it for the first time on LSAT day, especially when you are washing it down with a caffeine chaser...IMO.
With a test within four years you can use those results to request accommodations. Be forewarned there is a very early deadline for a lot of paperwork, and my understanding is that schools are notified what accommodations (if any) you received.
One thing I wish they would do for ALL testers is allow foam earplugs. I think that would make a difference for quite a few people, especially if you have an inattentive proctor.
Good luck, however you decide to tackle it. :D

Rehmsmeyer

Postby Rehmsmeyer » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:54 pm

Yes. Been studying for about 3 months and mostly studying on Adderall. I could easily do Logic Games without it, but I don't DARE try RC without it. Talk about not finishing on time, lol. I don't know what you have problems with, but RC is impossible for me with out taking it, primarily because I am forced to reread everything and run out of time. But, I can do well on LG with, or without my Adderall.

Rehmsmeyer

Postby Rehmsmeyer » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:58 pm

Also, does anyone know the stipulations with taking your prescribed medication during the test? Do I have to bring in my pill bottle to the test room?

Wily

Postby Wily » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:12 pm

I actually found taking Adderall killed me the first time I took the test (165) last October. Then I dosed down a bit and got a 168. Now I'm completely off the medication and PTing in the mid 170's. I found that on the actual exam, it made it way too OCD and focused on determining whether the first couple of questions were right in each section.

Helicio

Postby Helicio » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:32 pm

I've been doing the L-Theanine/Caffiene combo someone stuggested earlier and it actually works great. Got a 177 today with that combo. Not saying correlation means causation (LSAT mode...sorry), but I did feel much more relaxed yet focused.

So if you have horrible ADD like me you might want to try it out. There is also scientific evidence that this combo increases mental performance.

rabbitrun

Postby rabbitrun » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:18 pm

I think you guys are right about the L-Theanine. I had been drinking NeuroSonic (it has L-Theanine) and then switched to coffee today because I was too lazy to go to the only grocery store that carries it. I drank the coffee (with my meds) about 7 hours ago and still feel jittery. Definitely going with the Concerta+ L-Theanine combo (I tried doing just Concerta, but I was burnt out by section 3).

Good luck everyone!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”