Going back over answers with extra time

UtilityMonster

Going back over answers with extra time

Postby UtilityMonster » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:54 pm

I'm really bad at this. When I do PTs, I almost always just go on to the next section after I finish my first run through the questions. Do you guys have any tips for maximizing every extra minute you have after finishing a section? In December I had like 4 extra minutes, went back over one answer and changed it from the right answer to the wrong answer. :oops:

Yeah... would like to avoid that happening a second time.

gaud

Re: Going back over answers with extra time

Postby gaud » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:40 pm

Are you keeping track of the problems that give you the most trouble?

I would circle the number on questions that I had a hard time with so I would know which ones to go back to if I had time.

UtilityMonster

Postby UtilityMonster » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:44 pm

Yeah, oddly I'm having trouble organizing which problems I am least certain about. For instance, if I make a mark by three different problems, I often cannot recall which one I guessed the most on, and which one I felt more confident about my answer. This is pretty critical, as I would like to go back first to the most confusing question and address it first with whatever time I have left.

UtilityMonster

Postby UtilityMonster » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:45 pm

Does anyone have different symbols for indicating how likely you think it was that you got an answer wrong on your first pass, or can you just remember which ones you were least certain about when you finish?

gaud

Postby gaud » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:49 pm

Couldn't you develop your own system to recognize? Maybe instead of only circling troubling questions you could box some, circle others, even draw triangles?

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:07 pm

gaud wrote:Couldn't you develop your own system to recognize? Maybe instead of only circling troubling questions you could box some, circle others, even draw triangles?

I like this idea. Interchangeably, you could use letters "D M E" for difficult medium easy difficulty.Or even assign the difficulty to a number 1-10.

Personally, I circle difficult questions. But just the number. Not the entire question. I also put question marks next to answers Im unsure of.

cc.celina

Postby cc.celina » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:08 pm

If this helps, my system for this is generally to show how confused I was by the size of the box I draw around the question. If it's a box around just the number, it's not high priority but could afford a second look if I have time. If I've drawn a box around the entire question stem it's more urgent. I can usually tell which questions made me go "omg I have no idea" because I've drawn a really big panicky circle around the whole thing and usually a frowny face or two. In extreme cases I circle the number of the question on my answer sheet.

Don't worry too much about marking the difficult vs medium vs easy, I think, because you might get slowed down a little by debating which category a question belongs in. You need something quick, representational and visually arresting for the really hard ones, like writing 'WTF' really big at the top of the page (this has worked for me in games).

Above all it should make sense. For example on questions where I read B and immediately think "this is definitely the right answer" and moved on, I draw a box around the ACs i haven't read so i can go back and eliminate them later. Just find something that works for you and don't overthink it.

humbugger

Postby humbugger » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:11 pm

If I find a question especially difficult my natural frustration leads me to circle the question number over and over.

If it's just normally difficult, I circle the question number once.

HTH

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”