Are the RC passages always factually accurate?

crazi4law

Are the RC passages always factually accurate?

Postby crazi4law » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:55 am

If I know for sure that what I am reading is true I feel that I would be more interested in reading it and committing it to my memory.

VasaVasori

Postby VasaVasori » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:59 am

Last edited by VasaVasori on Sat May 02, 2015 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bp shinners

Re: Are the RC passages always factually accurate?

Postby bp shinners » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:26 pm

crazi4law wrote:If I know for sure that what I am reading is true I feel that I would be more interested in reading it and committing it to my memory.

The arguments made in the passages were all, at some point, held by actual people who are knowledgeable in the field. That's why I love RC - they can make stuff up in LR, but RC is at least somewhat informative. I don't want to know that much about drilling muds, but I learned enough about them on that comparative reading passage to pull out a few facts during the whole BP oil crisis.

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:48 pm

They better be true. They're my main source of information at this point.

bp shinners, now that you have typed the words "BPoil crisis" you are on a special list and will forever be plagued with ads in your gmail account about how BP cares about the FL coastal communities. Oops, looks like I'm on that list too. Dammit.

cc.celina

Postby cc.celina » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:50 pm

Conversation with a one of my friends who's a biology major this weekend:

Her: Did you know that there are some tadpoles that turn into cannibals depending on how much freshwater shrimp is in the pond?
Me: As a matter of fact, yes. Yes I did.

And here's the Noguchi sculpture I looked up immediately after finishing that RC section:

Not THAT revolutionary, if you ask me.

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:03 pm

The passage always seems to be written by someone knowledgeable in the field, but the questions definitely are NOT. This was really clear in the passage is regarding quantum mechanics, and one other time for particularly iirc. If it is a topic you knew in depth before the test, read extra close and be careful not to use outside knowledge, even if you are 100% sure it is true, to answer questions. Sometimes the answer can be totally wrong/retarded in regards to real life, but would sorta make sense using only the passage and remembering that the writers are english majors not science majors.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”