June vs. October in difficulty

Woods

June vs. October in difficulty

Postby Woods » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:05 am

This might sound silly, but is there generally any difference in difficulty between the June and October test? The overall score may be same due to different curves, but I'm just curious if there is generally any difference in difficulty.
Also, the curves of pt 64and 65 are both more generous than 63,62......I don't know about the Feb test, but this is likely a trend?
Thanks a lot.

jbates14

Re: June vs. October in difficulty

Postby jbates14 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:14 am

No. There is no difference in difficulty. PT 64 and 65 have more questions deemed to be difficult by LSAC than 62 and 63. It has nothing to do with the number of people getting high scores or someone getting the highest score. It is "equated". I'll let someone else go into more detail.

Just to add: The tests are designed for the person to get the same score on two different tests based on their abilities. If you can miss more on tests that LSAC think are harder, and less on tests they think are easier, that would make them equal in difficulty.

LexLeon

Re: June vs. October in difficulty

Postby LexLeon » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:18 pm

Here's an easy way to gauge difficulty in as objective a manner as is available to the typical test taker:

Look at the scoring scale of some test, and take note of the amount of questions one is able to miss in order to score each of the scores within your target range. Compare these numbers to other tests' numbers. (I wouldn't do this on a test before you take it; it might affect your performance, and you will not have the benefit of doing with your real exam.)

And here's an easy way to gauge difficulty in a subjective manner which is also quite available to the typical test taker:

Take the test.

I'm not quite sure that I would agree with someone that says the difficulty between tests does not vary. But even though it does, it should not worry you, because the tests are equated in order to ensure that a 175-level test taker scores a 175, regardless of his test form, ceteris paribus.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”