Answer choices to Necessary Assumption Questions

Mr.Binks

Answer choices to Necessary Assumption Questions

Postby Mr.Binks » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:23 pm

I was wondering if there can ever be (or ever has been) an incorect answer choice to a Necessary Assumption question that would suffice as a sufficient assumption?

For instance, PT 62 S2 Q12:

Wouldn't answer choice C.) be sufficient to justify the conclusion, but is not necessary to the argument?

gaud

Re: Answer choices to Necessary Assumption Questions

Postby gaud » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:26 pm

I believe there has been that on more than a couple PTs.

Mr.Binks

Postby Mr.Binks » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:39 pm

Ah, okay. Just making sure it was possible and that I wasn't mistaken in thinking that it would have been a sufficient condition.

princeR

Postby princeR » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:55 pm

This is precisely why I started thinking of necessary assumption questions as "Must be True for the conclusion to be true".

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:25 pm

Yes, in fact most sufficient assumptions won't be necessary. They tend to be too strong and broad to be absolutely necessary to get to the conclusion.

The way I look at it is that in all assumption questions, there's a flaw/assumption. A sufficient assumption answer will pick one way you can fix that flaw and give it to you. A necessary assumption will just tell you that it's possible to fix the flaw.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”