Postpone until October? Advice please!

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
User avatar
maeday

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:38 pm

Postpone until October? Advice please!

Postby maeday » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:53 pm

I'm trying to figure out if I should postpone until October, and the people I know IRL don't know the first thing about law school admissions, so hopefully y'all have some solid advice for me

Here's the deal: I took the LSAT 2 years ago with about 1.5 months of prep and got a 167, which wasn't high enough for the schools I'm looking at. Took a couple years off from thinking about law school with the expectation I would apply this cycle.

I've been studying for about 2.5 months for the June LSAT. My "cold" diagnostic, which wasn't all that cold since I studied 2 years ago, was 165, and my average score is about a 170 with a high of 175, low 167, about 8 timed tests. Three weeks ago I was consistently scoring 170+, but ever since then my scores have steadily decreased by 1-2 points on each test (08 and 09s). I usually get -1 or -0 when I take individual sections or individual games/passages, but string them all together and I start to get things wrong. At this point I think I'm just psyching myself out.

I'm not confident in my ability to score in my target next week, but I'm not sure if I should suck it up and just take the damn thing or if I should study more, get more confident, and take it in October. Anybody have some words of wisdom?

VasaVasori

Silver
Posts: 571
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:36 pm

.

Postby VasaVasori » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:03 pm

.
Last edited by VasaVasori on Sat May 02, 2015 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Micdiddy

Gold
Posts: 2230
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Postpone until October? Advice please!

Postby Micdiddy » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:06 pm

Well, what is your target? If it's 174-175, you shouldn't count on reaching it. Less than that and it sounds like you have a good enough chance of getting it to warrant taking in June and reevaluating once scores come out.

VasaVasori wrote:Do you think you can improve? Are you willing to spend the next 4 months working hard for that improvement? If you're not scoring where you want to be and you answered affirmatively to the previous two questions, I would withdraw. If you answered no to either of the questions, I would take this offering of the exam.


Also, this ^^.

User avatar
maeday

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:38 pm

Re: Postpone until October? Advice please!

Postby maeday » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:18 pm

Gracias! At this point, since I know that at least a 172 or a 173 is doable (I was doing it before, just not in any of my more recent tests), I think I'm going to delay and get more confident in doing it reliably, which seems to be my issue. That, and not psyching myself out.

VasaVasori

Silver
Posts: 571
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:36 pm

.

Postby VasaVasori » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:20 pm

.
Last edited by VasaVasori on Sat May 02, 2015 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
NoodleyOne

Gold
Posts: 2327
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Postpone until October? Advice please!

Postby NoodleyOne » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:34 pm

I mean, if you're scoring in the 170s anyway, while it isn't likely you're going to hit 174+, it's far from impossible. I don't see what you lose by taking it Monday and if you don't hit your target, taking it again in October.

User avatar
maeday

New
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:38 pm

Re: Postpone until October? Advice please!

Postby maeday » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:04 am

The problem is that I already have the 167, so the last thing I want is another low score (169 on today's PT) on my record.

User avatar
princeR

Bronze
Posts: 291
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:10 pm

Re: Postpone until October? Advice please!

Postby princeR » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:06 am

Schools don't care about multiple scores. Take it in June. We will have fun in the June waiting thread.

hamsamitchguy03

New
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:30 pm

Re: Postpone until October? Advice please!

Postby hamsamitchguy03 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:17 am

edited for brevity
Last edited by hamsamitchguy03 on Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Clearly

Gold
Posts: 4191
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Postpone until October? Advice please!

Postby Clearly » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:51 am

I say take now. You still have oct if you don't hit where you want. Trust me, it's a lot easier to say you're going to study till Oct, then it is to sit down and do it over the summer.



Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests