At Home Test Prep Suggestions?

gsat

At Home Test Prep Suggestions?

Postby gsat » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:57 am

Hey All,

I'm going to attempt to study for the LSAT once more after a year of taking the exam. Last time around I studied through Kaplan. This time around I'd like to study at home, allowing myself an ample amount of time for the exam. I'd love some suggestions as to how to approach this. I don't mind mixing/matching my study books/guides. I also wouldn't mind some guidance with daily allotment of study time. I'd really like to bump up my score and open up scholarship options.

Thank you!

Micdiddy

Re: At Home Test Prep Suggestions?

Postby Micdiddy » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:02 am

gsat wrote:Hey All,

I'm going to attempt to study for the LSAT once more after a year of taking the exam. Last time around I studied through Kaplan. This time around I'd like to study at home, allowing myself an ample amount of time for the exam. I'd love some suggestions as to how to approach this. I don't mind mixing/matching my study books/guides. I also wouldn't mind some guidance with daily allotment of study time. I'd really like to bump up my score and open up scholarship options.

Thank you!

I studied exclusively at home using the LR and LG Bibles, PT 7-65 and TLS!!!
So first of all get the Bibles and Manhattan RC (which I cannot personally vouch for but have heard good things about), if you want to super load up on strategy before jumping head-long into PT's, then get Manhattan LR as well (just the LG Bible is prob sufficient for LG's).
Finally, take some PT's to figure out where your score is out, then keep taking them along the way, maybe 1 or 2 a week to start then 3 or 4 a week in the last month or 6 weeks.
Most important, find an awesome support group like the June thread on TLS and keep up the motivation!!!

I would recommend no more than 6 hours of studying a day (with breaks!), but also anywhere from 2-4 can still be productive for certain days. After taking a PT always review it thoroughly before you take another (you can do this after a lengthy break or start reviewing it the next day).

I have lots more advice but I'm sure others will chime in. Good luck!

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:42 am

LSAT Hacks (Graeme)

Postby LSAT Hacks (Graeme) » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:09 pm

I'm an LSAT tutor. McDiddy's list is all you need. The preptests are *by far* the most important part.

I compiled a list of all those LSAT books, but it has affiliate links, so I'm not sure that I should post it here.

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:22 pm

Micdiddy wrote:I studied exclusively at home using the LR and LG Bibles, PT 7-65 and TLS!!!
So first of all get the Bibles and Manhattan RC (which I cannot personally vouch for but have heard good things about), if you want to super load up on strategy before jumping head-long into PT's, then get Manhattan LR as well (just the LG Bible is prob sufficient for LG's).
Finally, take some PT's to figure out where your score is out, then keep taking them along the way, maybe 1 or 2 a week to start then 3 or 4 a week in the last month or 6 weeks.
Most important, find an awesome support group like the June thread on TLS and keep up the motivation!!!

I would recommend no more than 6 hours of studying a day (with breaks!), but also anywhere from 2-4 can still be productive for certain days. After taking a PT always review it thoroughly before you take another (you can do this after a lengthy break or start reviewing it the next day).

I have lots more advice but I'm sure others will chime in. Good luck!

+1. I'm expecting 170+ on June 11, and I have studied exclusively with PowerScore's LR and LG bibles, official PTs, and advice/support from TLS. I also bought Manhattan's RC book and it seems legit, but RC hasn't been much of a problem for me so I haven't used it much.

The main thing you have to do, in my opinion, is be organized, smart, and committed with your study plan!

Good luck!

TheColonel

Postby TheColonel » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:14 am

I took an online class (Blueprint) which could be an option for you if you want to go that route. If you do go with books, I would strongly suggest you don't jump into PTs without drilling all of the different question types beforehand and reaching a level of comfort with all of the types. Knowing the question types inside and out will make for much more effective PTing. Cambridge Prep sells packets with the questions grouped by type, which would be a great tool for you.

banjo

Postby banjo » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:31 am

I agree about drilling specific types with the Cambridge LSAT packets. Actually, if you have time, just go through the old PTs yourself (maybe 7-38) and do all the questions of a certain type. That way you'll also get better at identifying question types.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”