Dealing with LSAT Frustration

DaRascal

Dealing with LSAT Frustration

Postby DaRascal » Thu May 31, 2012 11:17 pm

How do you deal with LSAT frustration?

When I'm drilling, ESPECIALLY with LR, and I get a question wrong and the wrong answer was one I eliminated but I had a gut feeling would be the right answer, I yell out "That's bullsh**! F*** you! F***you! F*** you!" and while doing that I violently stab my pen through the book several times.

And then I go make some tea and watch TV.

How do you guys deal with it?

AngeloPappas

Re: Dealing with LSAT Frustration

Postby AngeloPappas » Thu May 31, 2012 11:40 pm

Pretty much the same way. Today after PT 59 I stabbed 3 mirado warriors into the wall and walked out of the room.

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Thu May 31, 2012 11:43 pm

DaRascal wrote:How do you deal with LSAT frustration?

When I'm drilling, ESPECIALLY with LR, and I get a question wrong and the wrong answer was one I eliminated but I had a gut feeling would be the right answer, I yell out "That's bullsh**! F*** you! F***you! F*** you!" and while doing that I violently stab my pen through the book several times.

Think of every mistake as a learning opportunity. If you make that mistake now, you can learn how to prevent it from happening again on the real thing.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Thu May 31, 2012 11:43 pm

I think someone started a thread talking about if people's scores have a ceiling. That guy could probably relate.

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:08 am

shifty_eyed wrote:

Think of every mistake as a learning opportunity. If you make that mistake now, you can learn how to prevent it from happening again on the real thing.

That's how I've been trying to approach these situations but it's going to be very frustrating if this happens on test day. :evil:

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:08 am

Pancakes, be careful, man....

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:12 am

DaRascal wrote:Pancakes, be careful, man....

I'm confused? I am careful. Help me.

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:22 am

You think you're being careful but you're not. I'll help you. Let's go over to that dark alley over there and talk...

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:53 am

DaRascal wrote:You think you're being careful but you're not. I'll help you. Let's go over to that dark alley over there and talk...

talk about what?

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:44 am

I have had some LSAT temper tantrums while practicing alone let me tell you lol. That was more early on though, now I try to remain calm more often.

StarLightSpectre

Postby StarLightSpectre » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:54 am

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
DaRascal wrote:You think you're being careful but you're not. I'll help you. Let's go over to that dark alley over there and talk...

talk about what?

Pancakes' response almost made me fall out of my chair.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:05 am

Don't do this. Your attitude has a non-zero effect on your performance. You should really try to never get upset when you miss a question. I approach each question with three main things in mind.
1. Most logical reasoning arguments are flawed. I am looking for flaws the second I start reading.
2. There are four wrong answers and one correct answer. An answer is never wrong because it's just not as "good" as another.
3. This might sound counterintuitive to 1. and 2., but I also never question whether the LSAT is right. The LSAT is perfect. They don't make mistakes. If you picked a wrong answer it is not because you are a special snowflake. You picked the wrong answer because you got tricked either with the scope of the answer choice, an unwarranted assumption or inference (on your part) or something else.

These things really helped my attitude and it really helped me to improve and not feel defeated since I actively look for the right answer choice in my review even when I'm wrong.

TyrionLannister

Postby TyrionLannister » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:09 am

Scotch.

Mr.Binks

Postby Mr.Binks » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:19 am

Mr. Pancakes wrote:

talk about what?

Sexual frustration issues, clearly.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:14 pm

Mr.Binks wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:

talk about what?

Seriously, just take five minutes and rub one out.

jkpolk

Postby jkpolk » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:15 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
Mr.Binks wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:

talk about what?

Seriously, just take five .2 minutes and rub one out.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:17 pm

Pardon me, but I like to romance myself a bit first.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:26 pm

StarLightSpectre wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:

talk about what?

Pancakes' response almost made me fall out of my chair.

do you have a slippery chair?

TyrionLannister

Postby TyrionLannister » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:06 pm

This brings up an interesting question. Self-gratification prior to test? Reduced anxiety vs. possible fatigue? Maybe abstaining for the weeks building up to the test like a prizefighter? Sneaking off during LSAT break to knock one out in the bathroom?

Answering the question "to masterbate or not to masterbate?" could be the key to a higher/lower score.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:12 pm

When posed with the question, I am always in favor of the "masturbate" option.

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:51 pm

I had a dream last night that the LR section included questions about sex positions.

Steamiest dream I've had in weeks.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:26 pm

Don't get me started on LSAT dreams. I've had 2 LSAT nightmares and they both scared the shit out of me. One of them the LSAT had physics and chem questions on it, and was fill in the blank lol. I flipped out and canceled and left the room. The next I went on the 15 min break, and returned late somehow while they were already doing section4... It was LG, and I missed 5 minutes. I canceled and left. In both dreams I thought rationally about what this means. (If I take it in Oct, I can still ED to NW, but I don't have any more chances, but at least I have more time to prep). Scary shit.

enigmabk

Postby enigmabk » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:54 pm

by drilling more

marlo45

Postby marlo45 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:47 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:

Don't do this. Your attitude has a non-zero effect on your performance. You should really try to never get upset when you miss a question. I approach each question with three main things in mind.
1. Most logical reasoning arguments are flawed. I am looking for flaws the second I start reading.
2. There are four wrong answers and one correct answer. An answer is never wrong because it's just not as "good" as another.
3. This might sound counterintuitive to 1. and 2., but I also never question whether the LSAT is right. The LSAT is perfect. They don't make mistakes. If you picked a wrong answer it is not because you are a special snowflake. You picked the wrong answer because you got tricked either with the scope of the answer choice, an unwarranted assumption or inference (on your part) or something else.

These things really helped my attitude and it really helped me to improve and not feel defeated since I actively look for the right answer choice in my review even when I'm wrong.

I agree with this, especially the bolded.

If your logical reasoning is out of sync with the LSAT's, re-evaluate it. That is the only solution. Take responsibility for your mistakes but don't be mad at yourself. Patience is important. Keep drilling and, most importantly, look for consistencies in the question types you typically get wrong. The bottom line is there's something wrong with every wrong answer and you can train yourself to identify these flaws.

Good luck.

1-800-wtf-lsac

Postby 1-800-wtf-lsac » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:25 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
Mr.Binks wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:

talk about what?

Seriously, just take five minutes and rub one out.

I tried...but my body's processes are all calibrated to 8 minutes, 45 seconds -_-

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”