Post-TestMasters, Still Not Ready for June - Advice?

airbud

Post-TestMasters, Still Not Ready for June - Advice?

Postby airbud » Tue May 29, 2012 1:25 pm

I'm currently signed up for the June 11 LSAT and have been enrolled in the live TestMasters course since early April. I can say honestly that my studying has been intense, thorough, focused, and disciplined. I'm unable to look back on the last couple of months and say, "Hmm, man, I wish I would have done X, Y, or Z." Unfortunately, after getting a diagnostic of 157, I am still only PTing consistently at 162/163, with a personal best at 165. My goal is to score in at least the high 160s.

Here's what a normal PT looks like for me:

LG: ranges from -2 to -9. Total crapshoot that depends on whether or not I get a game that clicks.
RC: ranges from -2 to -6. Same dynamic as games.
LR: ranges from -4 to -7 for each section. Like many people, if I go through a section untimed, I can go -1/-2. Going at the speed required to complete the section in 35min destroys my comprehension and causes me to get sloppy.

Some other background info before I get to the my question that might help shape your responses: I'm an active duty Marine Corps officer (1stLt), just got back from Afghanistan in late March, married, with a 7-month-old son, LSDAS GPA is 3.85. I will apply to law school in the fall of 2013, but need to get all my ducks in a row during 2012, since I'll be deployed again for most of 2013. I want to settle down in Texas and pretty much all but insist on going to UT. However, I'm unwilling to make a major career move out of the USMC into a school with less-than-promising employment prospects when I have a family to take care of. I need the security of knowing based on numbers alone that I have a good shot at UT.

So, I'm feeling like I should withdraw from the June 11 test and take it in Oct (unless anyone thinks I can get my score up into the high 160s in 2 weeks...) My confusion is with respect to what to next. Do I:

1. Enroll in the online TestMasters at a discounted rate and go through all of the material to shore up my weaknesses?
2. Go with some other study plan, like from LSAT Blog?
3. Forget about "study plans" and just take PTs from here to Oct with thorough review?
4. What else?

Open to all suggestions. Thanks so much!

jbates14

Re: Post-TestMasters, Still Not Ready for June - Advice?

Postby jbates14 » Tue May 29, 2012 1:41 pm

I think your first step should be to drill LG and get it to perfect. After that, you are not too far away from a high 160s score. Take PT's as much as you can in the next two weeks and if your not ready then withdraw. It would be a mistake to take another course. Just self-study and drill your weaknesses. I was in a similar situation, and I did a heavy review of all my PT's after each one, but I also reviewed them all together to really pinpoint my weaknesses. I think thats where I finally got my first breakthrough pattern recognition in LR. If you do not feel you are ready for the test, then take it in October, but there is not a reason to take another course. If your dedicated, you can easily self-study without wasting the money.

Thanks for your service. GL

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Tue May 29, 2012 1:46 pm

Hello,

I'm not quite sure how much my advice means here, but also knowing some more info would help, namely what your target schools are (I guess UT?). You have a fantastic GPA, and if you simply want to get into the best Law School possible, I would advice waiting 'till Oct. You'll be submitting later in the cycle, but with your score the way it is now every single point can possibly open up a better school for you. Score in the 170's and you're looking at t14. I'm not an admissions expert so maybe someone else can say what you'll need to get into UT.

Because of that, I would prob advice waiting 'till October. I know it feels like you have done a lot of studying already, how could more possibly help? But I think you might benefit from a new strategy and new perpective. Testmasters is great and all, but if you decide to take in Oct. simply repeating their class can't help much can it? (I'm actually asking, I haven't taken it so I don't know).

For starters, any class that lasts that long but has not made you relatively perfect at LG's seems flawed. Get the LG Bible, internalize it, and start going -0 in almost every LG section you see. Besides that, there are a lot of great self-study guides to use, and with proper review and TLS for support, there's no reason you can't improve your score even more by Oct.

airbud

Postby airbud » Tue May 29, 2012 1:57 pm

Thanks guys.

jbates - you're right about LG. I really just want to remove this section as a variable on test day. That way, even within my ranges of RC and LR, I'd be happy with my score. I see the big advantage to paying for the online class through October is the access to TONS of video, audio, and written explanations for everything. Can I really find this much support for free and with this level of convenience somewhere else online? And all the answers to PTs with conversions from raw to 180 scale? Oh, and I appreciate your support.

Micdiddy - yes, UT is my goal. Anything from there up that places well in Texas I'd be very happy with. Just to clarify, I'll be submitting apps in the fall of 2013. I'll be deployed then, so I need everything prepped this year.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Tue May 29, 2012 2:03 pm

airbud wrote:Thanks guys.

jbates - you're right about LG. I really just want to remove this section as a variable on test day. That way, even within my ranges of RC and LR, I'd be happy with my score. I see the big advantage to paying for the online class through October is the access to TONS of video, audio, and written explanations for everything. Can I really find this much support for free and with this level of convenience somewhere else online? And all the answers to PTs with conversions from raw to 180 scale? Oh, and I appreciate your support.

Micdiddy - yes, UT is my goal. Anything from there up that places well in Texas I'd be very happy with. Just to clarify, I'll be submitting apps in the fall of 2013. I'll be deployed then, so I need everything prepped this year.

Whoops, I missed that you will be submitting apps next year. In that case, what will you be doing until Oct if you take in June?
Also, so you will not even consider a school outside Texas? Even if it's Yale.

Well then, find out what score you need to be extremely comfortable that you will get into UT. If you are PTing consistently above that score, take in June. If you are PTing at or below it with only occasional scores above it, take in Oct.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21304

TrialLawyer16

Postby TrialLawyer16 » Tue May 29, 2012 2:49 pm

jbates14 wrote:I think your first step should be to drill LG and get it to perfect. After that, you are not too far away from a high 160s score.

+1

Get the LG Bible and go through every game 3 times. You can make a dramatic improvement in a short amount of time if you develop a consistent strategy for LG and with your other scores having a consistent -0/-1 in LG can put you firmly in the 165 range.

Psib337

Postby Psib337 » Tue May 29, 2012 3:09 pm

You sound like me (except for the military part). I took Testmasters and I'm still in high 150s low 160s and I want 165+. I'm still working on some homework and still have some of the supplemental diagnostics and all of the practice sections so I have plenty of things to work on in the next 2 weeks to help me get to where I want. I'm don't want to not take the test and unless something awful happens on test day I probably won't cancel the score. I'm going to go in and take the test and if I don't get where I want I'm planning to just study again and prepare for October. I'm not paying for another class so if I have to take it again I was going to use the Pithypike guide, people around here seem pretty satisfied with that. Otherwise I'm going to fill out applications as soon as they're available and have them ready to go as soon as the October scores come back. I'm pretty much hoping for the best but preparing for the worst.

airbud

Postby airbud » Tue May 29, 2012 3:53 pm

Here's what sucks: I've already gone through both the LG Bible AND LG Workbook AND have done every game in there three times. I did this over the course of my 7 month deployment. I don't think the work I've put into LG has been all for naught though. Like I said, I can occasionally go as low as like -1/-2 if I get a set of games that just happens to click. However, more often than not, there's one game that just destroys me and boom, there's -5.

Over the next 2 weeks, I'll continue to drill the games that I've had trouble on. If I can PT at least 3 tests in the high 160s, I'll take the June test. However, if I can't, I'll hold until Oct.

Then it's just a matter of what exactly is the smartest strategy between now and Oct for a guy who has a pretty solid core of understanding of the test, but is very inconsistent from section to section and needs time to really smooth out a lot of the rough edges....

hitmanhart408

Postby hitmanhart408 » Tue May 29, 2012 8:01 pm

im kind of in the same boat. I have been taking TestMasters but I am definitely not ready. My highest score on Practice Test is 145. My score increase has been extremely slower than I would have liked. I'm thinking about buying the PowerScore bibles so I can study for the October test. Also thinking about using the bibles AND retaking TestMasters.

airbud

Postby airbud » Tue May 29, 2012 9:28 pm

chirp chirp...

Anyone else have some insight on the best way forward?

P.S. Just scored a 167 on the Sept '09 test. Personal best! I'll have to replicate these results a few more times to be confident in my improvement, though...

TrialLawyer16

Postby TrialLawyer16 » Wed May 30, 2012 9:57 am

airbud wrote:Here's what sucks: I've already gone through both the LG Bible AND LG Workbook AND have done every game in there three times. I did this over the course of my 7 month deployment. I don't think the work I've put into LG has been all for naught though. Like I said, I can occasionally go as low as like -1/-2 if I get a set of games that just happens to click. However, more often than not, there's one game that just destroys me and boom, there's -5.

Over the next 2 weeks, I'll continue to drill the games that I've had trouble on. If I can PT at least 3 tests in the high 160s, I'll take the June test. However, if I can't, I'll hold until Oct.

Then it's just a matter of what exactly is the smartest strategy between now and Oct for a guy who has a pretty solid core of understanding of the test, but is very inconsistent from section to section and needs time to really smooth out a lot of the rough edges....

Even though you've been through every game three times you need to go back through it. The reason is because you need to make sure you're making every possible inference in your setup and the LG Bible gives you the ability to look at how you should have actually diagrammed each game and every inference you should have made. That's the key - the inferences you make while diagramming. I don't think you can make every possible inference and still go -9 in LG. What's going to happen is you're going to get games that you can crush in like 4-5 mins, and that's going to put time in the bank for the tougher games/games you missed a key inference on. You need to be able to crush certain games (linear, etc.) in 5 mins to be able to save time because other games are just tougher.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”