How should I feel about this.

JdCan

How should I feel about this.

Postby JdCan » Mon May 28, 2012 1:58 pm

I am not sure how to feel about this. 2 weeks away from June 11 and I am beginning to realize that what is constantly separating me from a -0 or -1 on the LR sections is silly mistakes. I review my timed sections and I realize that I am constantly missing precious point because I simply cant stop over analyzing the answer choice. I have a hard time believing answer choice (A) is the right answer because it seems so simple and so, the test maker is attempting to fool me and as a result I go for answer choice (D) because it sounds more like it (hypothetical), more complicated. I noticed this mind set comes from my Prep Course with PR, I have gone away from the common sense answer to the more strategic answer so to speak. I ago anywhere from -5 to -7 but at the least 5 of those wrong answers after I go back and review makes me go duh! this was my original choice, but I just had to go away from it!. Should I panic that I am making such mistakes so late in the game, or should I be glad that I am not missing points because I am stupid, but rather its because I am attempting to use strategies and as a result going away from answers in which I believe are way too "simplified". I am not quite sure how to feel about this, but I hope I will get it together in time for June 11, and if not, it will all come together for me on test day as the pressure to perform well will take over any over thinking and analyzing I may be doing now while prepping.
Last edited by JdCan on Mon May 28, 2012 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nova

Re: How should I feel about this.

Postby Nova » Mon May 28, 2012 2:16 pm

JdCan wrote:Should I panic that I am making such mistakes so late in the game, or should I be glad that I am not missing points because I am stupid, but rather its because I am attempting to use strategies and as a result going away from answers in which I believe are way to0 "simplified". I am not quite sure how to feel about this, but I hope I will get it together in time for June 11, and if not, it will all come together for me on test day as the pressure to perform well will take over any over thinking and analyzing I may be doing now while prepping.

Well if you are shooting for 170+, you should be very worried that you are missing 10-14 LR. Chalking up 5 misses per sections as silly mistakes is a huge stretch.

You need to get over the whole mind set that you are missing the questions because the right answers appear "too simplified". The correct answer is logically consistant with the question and stimulus. The wrong answers you picked all have a flaw. You are falling for traps. Figure out where you made the mistake and dont make it again.

marlo45

Postby marlo45 » Mon May 28, 2012 2:41 pm

I used to over analyze answer choices, too. It's a matter of practice makes perfect. You're not as familiar with the types of tricks the LSAT repeats. Unfortunately, this is a telling sign that you're not as ready as you could be (based on my experience).

Giving up -10 on LR sections basically means you have to be [nearly] perfect on the rest of the test to get a 170+ (assuming that's what you're aiming for).

I can't remember if it was one of the Power Score books that said something like "there's always an obvious correct answer;" it's true. I'd suggest you record and analyze your wrong answers, look for consistency in why you got them wrong, then you'll start identifying the tricks before you fall for them.

Good luck.

JdCan

Postby JdCan » Mon May 28, 2012 2:49 pm

Well at the moment, with LG, I rarely miss any and on RC on a bad day I may miss 5. So the bulk of my errors comes from LR, and the point I am attempting to make is that, I used to not makes these mistakes, but for some reason, during a timed section ever since I started attending a prep class, I try incorporating strategies and I go away from what I know is right, if that makes any sense.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue May 29, 2012 11:58 am

Start to notice where in the section this happens. Generally, if you're throwing out an answer in 1-13/15 because you think it's too straight-forward, it probably isn't, and you should pick it. If you're at questions 15-25, and you think an answer is too easy, that's when you should double check it. However, sometimes the answer is pretty straight-forward, especially if your level of comprehension for the exam is high.

In short, an answer being too straight-forward is never a reason to throw it out. If anything, it's a reason to pick it, because it means you understand the exam.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”