For those who have already taken the LSAT..

rbkl

For those who have already taken the LSAT..

Postby rbkl » Mon May 28, 2012 5:31 am

I will be taking my test for the first time in June. To feel as comfortable as possible for D-Day, I'd like to know exactly what to expect. I know some of these are stupid questions, but any advantage I can get before going in to the test will be helpful. Thanks in advanced for anyone that can answer these questions! :)

Please note that this thread has a different purpose than asking about "Test Day Strategies" (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=185269).

Questions:

1) It says to be there at 12:30 pm at the latest. What things will be doing before the test? How much administration crap is there (in terms of time) before I am working on the first section?

2) Can you describe the actual LSAT exam physically? Is it in a booklet similar to the SAT -- using that same crappy recycled paper? Or is it a bunch of standard computer paper sheets stapled? Are the answer sheets detached, and are they on better quality paper or are the on the same recycled crap?

3) It says that the materials are collected before the break. Does that mean they return the answer sheet and such back? Or does that mean you get another answer sheet? Another test booklet?

4) How do the proctors actually keep track of time themselves --- do they have a digital watch? How exact is the 35 minutes? Will they announce the time left? If so, what intervals?

5) What happens when time is up? Do they make you put the pencil on top of your head? Would I be in trouble if I am still filling out 2-3 bubbles as time is being called?

6) How many people were at your particular administration?

7) Did you feel like you had enough desk space to work?

8 ) I work well with an energy drink. Can I use a standard 16.9 fl oz disposable water bottle as my plastic bottle and fill it with something else?

9) Is the writing section always last?

10) Any recommendations on things that you wish you had taken in account for?

** I am sure some of these answers would be dependent on particular administrations at particular test centers. But I'd like the insight on your particular situation.
Last edited by rbkl on Mon May 28, 2012 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Real Madrid

Re: For those who have already taken the LSAT..

Postby Real Madrid » Mon May 28, 2012 5:54 am

1. It takes a while to check in. Then it takes even longer to go over all of the directions and wait for the proctor to do all of the administrative bullshit. You will probably be waiting anywhere from 20-35 (maybe longer) minutes after everyone is seated (depending on the size of your room, number of students, etc.) before you get started.

2. The exam booklet is total shit. Seriously made of like 10x recycled paper to the point where erasing in the booklet could easily tear the page. The answer sheet is separate and is a much sturdier sheet of paper.

3. They do return the same answer sheet and same booklet.

4. Most keep a clock in plain view of everyone in the room. Others keep it on their own watches or on a digital clock. It depends on the administrator, but they are supposed to announce when five minutes are remaining only.

5. When time is up, you put your pencil down. Keep bubbling and you risk having your test cancelled and getting slapped with a misconduct charge. Not pretty.

6. Don't remember

7. Yes. At least two seats were open on each side of me.

8. No idea, but I would imagine so.

9. Yep.

10. Nope. Just be prepared, don't try anything new the morning of the test that you aren't used to, and try and use the restroom before the test and during the break since leaving during the test will cost you points. And don't blow off the writing section.

Good luck

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Mon May 28, 2012 6:49 am

also i would like to add you should bring your own analog watch, snacks and a drink for the break, and a jacket. I remember for my test, which was june in florida, it was 97 outside but the place i took it had a uber AC and so it was like 55 indoor....people were literally shivering so hard my desk was shaking.

rbkl

Postby rbkl » Mon May 28, 2012 3:54 pm

thederangedwang wrote:also i would like to add you should bring your own analog watch, snacks and a drink for the break, and a jacket. I remember for my test, which was june in florida, it was 97 outside but the place i took it had a uber AC and so it was like 55 indoor....people were literally shivering so hard my desk was shaking.

Good call :D Thanks

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Mon May 28, 2012 4:28 pm

rbkl wrote:

4) How do the proctors actually keep track of time themselves --- do they have a digital watch? How exact is the 35 minutes? Will they announce the time left? If so, what intervals?

They are supposed to announce when five minutes remain, BUT when I took the LSAT in October 2010, my proctor did NOT do this for all five sections. Sometimes he announced 1 minute, sometimes 2. Basically, I think he forgot to keep track of the clock and was like "oh, shit! One minute left!" and this really screwed me over because I didn't bring a watch. I had considered a five minute warning sufficient because I always finished my PTs within time limits. NOT RISKING THIS AGAIN.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Mon May 28, 2012 4:59 pm

rbkl wrote:7) Did you feel like you had enough desk space to work?

I took it twice at the same center. The first time we had those terrible little desks where the desk folded down from the arm of the chair and it wasn't enough to have both the test booklet and the answer sheet on the table at the same time. The second time I took it we had giant desks and several seats on either side. The second time my score increased by 7 points without much extra studying.

rbkl

Postby rbkl » Mon May 28, 2012 6:43 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:

I took it twice at the same center. The first time we had those terrible little desks where the desk folded down from the arm of the chair and it wasn't enough to have both the test booklet and the answer sheet on the table at the same time. The second time I took it we had giant desks and several seats on either side. The second time my score increased by 7 points without much extra studying.

Heh, do you think this was a result of complaints?

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Mon May 28, 2012 7:03 pm

rbkl wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:

Heh, do you think this was a result of complaints?

Probably not. I was in a different room the second time and could see kids in the same room where I had originally taken the test in the same little desks.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Mon May 28, 2012 7:22 pm

Regarding #10:

Arrive early and be at the front of the check-in line. But the best advice any of us can give concerns "perspective".

Aside from preparation and a good rest the week leading up to the exam, stress management is the key. Just remember that, like any other final exam you have taken, it's only a test and you will live through it. In fact, your undergrad finals are worse than the LSAT because they truly represent a "last chance" of sorts. This is not the case with the LSAT.

Relax, and take the thing as if you don't really give a crap as to what happens. I don't mean that you should blow the test off. Take the test as if you made a bet with your friend -whichever one annoys you most - that you couldn't reach a certain score. If you have to make the bet, and make your test day about the bet. Play with it and have fun. This may seem like strange advice, but many people who suffer from test anxiety have actually raised their scores on second time around by doing it.

Be sure to relax the day before. Go to a movie, hang out with friends...have sex (but not at night). Do whatever will relax you.

happyshapy

Postby happyshapy » Mon May 28, 2012 8:30 pm

rbkl wrote:

8 ) I work well with an energy drink. Can I use a standard 16.9 fl oz disposable water bottle as my plastic bottle and fill it with something else?

Yes you can, but keep in mind that you will not be allowed to drink ANYTHING including water no matter what container it's in during the test.

Also be careful about drinking anything with too much caffeine before the test starts. I made this mistake and had to pee so badly during the 3rd section I had a really hard time focusing.

naillsat

Postby naillsat » Mon May 28, 2012 8:51 pm

another Q: bubbling should also be finished within that 35 minutes each section?

VasaVasori

Postby VasaVasori » Mon May 28, 2012 8:53 pm

Last edited by VasaVasori on Sat May 02, 2015 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Mon May 28, 2012 9:05 pm

PDaddy wrote:Regarding #10:

Arrive early and be at the front of the check-in line. But the best advice any of us can give concerns "perspective".

Aside from preparation and a good rest the week leading up to the exam, stress management is the key. Just remember that, like any other final exam you have taken, it's only a test and you will live through it. In fact, your undergrad finals are worse than the LSAT because they truly represent a "last chance" of sorts. This is not the case with the LSAT.

Relax, and take the thing as if you don't really give a crap as to what happens. I don't mean that you should blow the test off. Take the test as if you made a bet with your friend -whichever one annoys you most - that you couldn't reach a certain score. If you have to make the bet, and make your test day about the bet. Play with it and have fun. This may seem like strange advice, but many people who suffer from test anxiety have actually raised their scores on second time around by doing it.

Be sure to relax the day before. Go to a movie, hang out with friends...have sex (but not at night). Do whatever will relax you.

So Juners, who wants to place a friendly wager on the test? Stalkmore, I know you're a gambling man (poker player right?). Vasa, max, prince, shifty...? It'll Keep the motivation up!!!

SingleLadies

Postby SingleLadies » Tue May 29, 2012 10:07 am

How about marking between the columns on your answer sheet? Is this legal? In LR sections if I am uncertain about a question and would like to review it later on then I mark the answer I think it is besides the answer row. Would having these marks mess up the scoring of my test?

Also after you have checked in to test is it possible to go to the washroom? E.g check in at 12. In chair at 12:15. Go to washroom and vomit at 12:20?

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue May 29, 2012 12:16 pm

naillsat wrote:another Q: bubbling should also be finished within that 35 minutes each section?

Not should be, must be. You won't have extra time to fill in those bubbles you didn't get to. And while the chances of getting caught are slim, if you go back to fill them in on a later section, you'll get slapped with a misconduct charge.

Everyone else has been spot on with advice.

The biggest piece of advice I can give, though, is to respect the proctor, even if they're being a jerk. I don't care if the person reeks of tequila and is doing body shots off of the busty girl taking the test in the front row - don't give them trouble. The LSAC will side with them unless there's an overwhelming amount of evidence they did something wrong, and that proctor can ruin your life (an accusation of cheating can cause you to be rejected from law schools).

So, in short, don't give them any trouble. Even if they do something unbelievably unfair, just live with it and complain later. Once they write you up, the burden of proof shifts strongly to you.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”