Wide range HELP, June 2012 Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Blindrage

New

Wide range HELP, June 2012

Post by Blindrage » Mon May 28, 2012 1:04 am

Hello TLS, been more of a reader, esp on the 160+ thread; as I've prob read all 25 said pages...

First question is what sure fire things to improve my score from 158-168 to the 170+ range(in TWO weeks)? Secondly, how to decrease the min range of my PTs?

I also have a tendency of bombing one, and doing OK on the next and doing 165+ on a following. Consistency is a big issue.

Ive done about 20ish PTs starting from mid 30s.

Any helpful strats? I've read pithypikes and all associated treads. I just can't keep to a super regimented schedule.

Micdiddy

Gold

Re: Wide range HELP, June 2012

Post by Micdiddy » Mon May 28, 2012 2:51 am

Well, consider withdrawing and taking in Oct first of all.
158-168 is a huge range. If you were consistently 168 and just wanted 170 for your target school, then I would prob advice trying in June with the possibility of trying again in Oct. But if you've only occasionally gotten a 168 whereas your mean is 163 or so, then I just don't think there's anything we can say here to bump you past 170.

I mean, I assume you've read the Bibles, been studying for months and are PTing around where you will eventually score. So, keep reviewing, keep drilling, keep PTing, and consider classes/tutoring to help you further. But again, likely if you need a 170 for your target schools you will have to take again in Oct.

As for advice PTing, actually prepare yourself for them. A good diagnostic is not something you can just sit down and take on a whim. Eat a good breakfast, prepare your environment (dogs walked, cell phone off, etc.) and have a snack read for the break. Get yourself in the right mindset and you should before up to your best capabilities.

ETE: Wow so many typos reading back over this...argh too lazy to fix them.
Last edited by Micdiddy on Mon May 28, 2012 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blindrage

New

Post by Blindrage » Mon May 28, 2012 11:51 am

Micdiddy wrote:Well, consider withdrawing and taking in Oct first of all.
158-168 is a huge range. If you were consistently 168 and just wanted 170 for your target school, then I would prob advice trying in June with the possibility of trying again in Oct. But if you've only occasionally gotten a 168 whereas your mean is 163 or so, then I just don't think there's anything we can say here to bump you past 170.

I mean, I assume you've read the Bibles, been studying for months and are PTing around where you will eventually score. So, keep reviewing, keep drilling, keep PTing, and consider classes/tutoring to help you further. But again, likely if you need a 170 for your target schools you will have to take again in Oct.

As for advice PTing, actually prepare yourself for them. A good diagnostic is not something you can just sit down and take on a whim. Eat a good breakfast, prepare your environment (dogs walked, cell phone off, etc.) and have a snack read for the break. Get yourself in the right mindset and you should before up to your best capabilities.
Yes, I have read all 3 bibles and use their many of PS techniques consistently. I have been studying for 2.5 months, and need a 160-165. I am not amongst the logic gods of TLS, but rather a mere mortal. I really dont need a 170, however nice to my logic-peen as im not going to a T10 school in TX. I understand that setting a "low" goal is not really a good principle as you want a higher score on any test, but for TX Tech all that is needed is a 160+my URM stats.

I do need to refresh my perspective and prepare for my environment and take the PS setting much more serious. Thanks for helping me out :)

Anymore suggestions are needed!

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Mon May 28, 2012 2:41 pm

Blindrage wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:Well, consider withdrawing and taking in Oct first of all.

Yes, I have read all 3 bibles and use their many of PS techniques consistently. I have been studying for 2.5 months, and need a 160-165. I am not amongst the logic gods of TLS, but rather a mere mortal. I really dont need a 170, however nice to my logic-peen as im not going to a T10 school in TX. I understand that setting a "low" goal is not really a good principle as you want a higher score on any test, but for TX Tech all that is needed is a 160+my URM stats.

I do need to refresh my perspective and prepare for my environment and take the PS setting much more serious. Thanks for helping me out :)

Anymore suggestions are needed!
A URM with a 160 should not go to Tech. Shoot for UT, and have SMU and UH as back ups. If you get a 165, then UT should be a lock for an instate URM. What have your last 5 PT scores been?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Mon May 28, 2012 3:49 pm

Blindrage wrote: but for TX Tech all that is needed is a 160+my URM stats.

I donno what your GPA is, but hitting median (156) would probably be enough to get into tech.
shifty_eyed wrote:
A URM with a 160 should not go to Tech. Shoot for UT, and have SMU and UH as back ups. If you get a 165, then UT should be a lock for an instate URM. What have your last 5 PT scores been?
It wasnt enough for me :( (3.0/167/in state/URM)

Blindrage

New

Post by Blindrage » Mon May 28, 2012 4:30 pm

Nova wrote:
Blindrage wrote: but for TX Tech all that is needed is a 160+my URM stats.

I donno what your GPA is, but hitting median (156) would probably be enough to get into tech.
shifty_eyed wrote:
It wasnt enough for me :( (3.0/167/in state/URM)

My LSAC GPA is 2.81(transcript denotes 3.1) , with a upward trend in my Jr/Sr year. Partly due to too much frat partying and procrastinating/collegiate rugby(was the only guy on the team who had a science major, derp). I also have taken some master's courses ... Although I did have a difficult major, biochemistry/minor in chem.

I absolutely cannot take LSAT at later date, because I feel that I have a lesser chance of competing w/ everyone else at normal times and not as an early applicant? I really would like to go to Tech due less stringent requirement and tuition due to my GPA is going to be full price; albeit at lower state rates.

Not to digress from the OP, my last 5 test were 164/162/166/161/162, respectively. Advice?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”