Screwing up on the first section Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
TunnelVision

New

Screwing up on the first section

Post by TunnelVision » Sun May 27, 2012 8:17 pm

I've noticed that I tend to do much worse on the first section of the test, especially if it is LR or RC. I've also noticed that I barely finish on time only for the first section. Today I had LR first and missed 5 (3 of which were in the first 10 questions). Then after that LG: -1, LG: -1(Exp.) LR2: -0, RC: -3, finishing LG and LR2 with at least a few minutes left. I was thinking that for now I can do a section before my tests to get in the zone, but how will I deal with this on test day? Has anyone else experienced this and how did you warm up?

princeR

Bronze

Re: Screwing up on the first section

Post by princeR » Sun May 27, 2012 8:20 pm

You should be working on your warm up routine. I have been doing mine about 30 minutes before I test, but I assume it will be an even larger gap for the real test. I have been doing the back 2 flaps of LR and the 3rd or 4th game. I wouldn't do an entire section and do not check your answers. I've heard the analogy before, but this is like an athlete warming up before a game.

VasaVasori

Silver

Post by VasaVasori » Sun May 27, 2012 8:20 pm

Last edited by VasaVasori on Sat May 02, 2015 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VasaVasori

Silver

Post by VasaVasori » Sun May 27, 2012 8:21 pm

Last edited by VasaVasori on Sat May 02, 2015 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun May 27, 2012 8:22 pm

Do a practice section (from a test you've already done and did well on is best) before you go in to take the test. You do NOT want the first section on the real thing to be the first time your brain has had to work since you got up that day.

You can take pages into the testing venue and just throw them away when you are done.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

yankees42789

Bronze

Post by yankees42789 » Sun May 27, 2012 8:41 pm

I had a similar problem getting my brain warmed up for the test (predominantly for LR) and did 1/4ish of an LR section in my car right before I got out to take the test. Warming up definitely helps get your mind into LSAT mode, but on test day there's such a long time between when you finish your warmup and when you start the test (i.e. you have to go to your assigned room, have the instructions read to you, fill in your biographical info, etc), that there's only so much good that can do in keeping your mind sharp. I would definitely recommend doing the warm up, though, as it has to help (if only incrementally) and there's no real downside. One thing that I didn't do and would be interesting to see if it helped would be to try and simulate test day conditions by taking your warmup 60-90 minutes before you start your PT.

Best of luck, OP!

princeR

Bronze

Post by princeR » Sun May 27, 2012 9:21 pm

I'm still working on my routine, but, I plan on reading a decent amount to get my brain warmed up and thinking critically (something by Noam Chomsky probably), do some work at home to get warmed up, and than like others have said I am going to bring some with me and do it right before check in.

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Mon May 28, 2012 3:07 am

I haven't warmed up before any PT yet, but I did plan to bring games and an LR section to the venue (especially because I'll prob get there 2 hours early).

Usually, I hope my first section is LR, that way I can warm up with the first 10-15 questions. If it's RC I do feel a little thrown off, but I think I'd rather have RC first than last. I figure I can do LG anytime, so I'd rather have it last when my mental capacity is waning.

I think I'll start a warmup routine also, it's a good idea.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Mon May 28, 2012 10:55 am

Prince why do you say not to check answers?
Incase you do bad?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

princeR

Bronze

Post by princeR » Mon May 28, 2012 11:10 am

Br3v wrote:Prince why do you say not to check answers?
Incase you do bad?
Exactly. It's just a warm up to get your mind going, no need to know if you even get them right.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Mon May 28, 2012 11:35 am

Last edited by 03152016 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

lilhugsy24

New

Post by lilhugsy24 » Tue May 29, 2012 3:45 am

rinkrat19 wrote:Do a practice section (from a test you've already done and did well on is best) before you go in to take the test. You do NOT want the first section on the real thing to be the first time your brain has had to work since you got up that day.

You can take pages into the testing venue and just throw them away when you are done.
Oh you can take old PT's into the room you're testing in? I didn't know that. I was just gonna do a warm up in my car because I didnt think you would be able to bring them in to the room. That's nice to know.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue May 29, 2012 2:42 pm

lilhugsy24 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Do a practice section (from a test you've already done and did well on is best) before you go in to take the test. You do NOT want the first section on the real thing to be the first time your brain has had to work since you got up that day.

Oh you can take old PT's into the room you're testing in? I didn't know that. I was just gonna do a warm up in my car because I didnt think you would be able to bring them in to the room. That's nice to know.
No, they'll likely make you throw them away before you get into the room. But there's a fair amount of standing around in lines, hallways and other rooms (it all depends on the testing site and how they're organizing things).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”