I don't understand this!

Bilqis

I don't understand this!

Postby Bilqis » Sat May 26, 2012 2:27 pm

Why...B and not A?

Advertiser: Most TV shows depend on funding from advertisers and would be cancelled without such funding. However, advertisers will not pay to have their commercials aired during a TV show unless many people watching the show buy the advertised product as a result. So if people generally fail to buy the products advertised during their favorite shows, these shows will soon be cancelled. Thus anyone who feels that a TV show is worth preserving ought to buy the product advertised during that show.

A) If a TV show that one feels to be worth preserving would be cancelled unless one took certain cations, then one ought to take those actions

B) If a TV show would be cancelled unless many people took certain actions, then everyone who feels that the show is worth preserving ought to take those actions

rinkrat19

Re: I don't understand this!

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat May 26, 2012 2:31 pm

The TV show isn't going to be canceled because 'you' failed to take an action. It's going to be cancelled if 'many' people don't take an action.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Sat May 26, 2012 2:32 pm

A talks about "unless one took certain actions" (emphasis added). Your buying the products isn't going to save the show.

B talks about "many people," which is what is in play here.

And... sniped.

Taus11

Postby Taus11 » Sat May 26, 2012 2:34 pm

Bilqis wrote:Why...B and not A?

Advertiser: Most TV shows depend on funding from advertisers and would be cancelled without such funding. However, advertisers will not pay to have their commercials aired during a TV show unless many people watching the show buy the advertised product as a result. So if people generally fail to buy the products advertised during their favorite shows, these shows will soon be cancelled. Thus anyone who feels that a TV show is worth preserving ought to buy the product advertised during that show.

A) If a TV show that one feels to be worth preserving would be cancelled unless one took certain cations, then one ought to take those actions

B) If a TV show would be cancelled unless many people took certain actions, then everyone who feels that the show is worth preserving ought to take those actions

MANY people watching the show have to buy the advertised product in order for the TV show to be not cancelled. In this sense, A is not accurate: the TV show can be cancelled even if one person takes the action and it can not be cancelled even if that person did not buy the product. Notice how one person's action is not a necessary condition as answer choice A makes it seem to be. Also, "anyone" in stimulus matches everyone in B because it's not just talking about one person.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”