Improve grouping on LG

Jredelman15

Improve grouping on LG

Postby Jredelman15 » Fri May 25, 2012 11:56 pm

any advice on how to improve on this type of game within the next 2 weeks? I keep missing certain inferences.

Mr. Pancakes

Re: Improve grouping on LG

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Sat May 26, 2012 7:44 pm

Jredelman15 wrote:any advice on how to improve on this type of game within the next 2 weeks? I keep missing certain inferences.

you need to be more specific.

Jredelman15

Postby Jredelman15 » Sat May 26, 2012 11:39 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
Jredelman15 wrote:any advice on how to improve on this type of game within the next 2 weeks? I keep missing certain inferences.

you need to be more specific.

On the grouping type of game. What is the best method to attack grouping?

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Sun May 27, 2012 12:04 am

Use the thing with the smallest amount as your base group in your diagram. Put the base group at the top of your diagram. Then label the left of your diagram with the things that are grouped. For example: you have 7 people going to see 3 different movies- Movies is your base group at the top of your diagram then the side you would place the people.
If there is something that says something like "5 of the 7 will be chosen" then you need to have a section of your diagram for items that are "out" or not chosen, so you can keep track of where everyone is placed. Mainly because there are usually rules that say "if Mary isn't chosen then mike is chosen". It helps to keep things straight.
If you don't know what I'm talking about then it's hard to explain it without drawing it out. Have you looked at the LG bible?

I can't believe I just typed all that out from my phone.
Last edited by Mr. Pancakes on Sun May 27, 2012 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

pat4redick

Postby pat4redick » Sun May 27, 2012 2:41 am

Mr. Pancakes wrote:I can't believe I just typed all that out from my phone.

Lol. /tiphat

Jredelman15

Postby Jredelman15 » Sun May 27, 2012 1:19 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote: Have you looked at the LG bible?

Yea I am in the grouping section right now and missing 2 qestions per game in the grouping section every other game type so far is a -0.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Sun May 27, 2012 1:32 pm

Jredelman15 wrote:

Yea I am in the grouping section right now and missing 2 qestions per game in the grouping section every other game type so far is a -0.

Ok, some of the questions you're probably going to have to do it this way(usually the last two or three questions):
If you don't see the answer right away then you are going to have to plug the answer choices in your diagram to see if they fit or don't fit. Remember this: If you don't see it off the bat then take action immediately. Let's pretend the question says "must be true" and choice (A), for example, says "H goes to the movies on Thursday" , then see if you can fit H going to the movies on another day. Usually once you diagram out the first answer choice then you will be able to make inferences for the other choices, if you don't happen to find (A) to be the answer. This may seem time consuming at first, but doing this will become second nature and will probably help you to answer following questions. Some games have "plug and chug" questions where this is the only way to do it.

I think it's important to not stare at the answers if you aren't seeing it. Don't just sit there, take action and start plugging things in until you figure it out.

TyrionLannister

Postby TyrionLannister » Sun May 27, 2012 1:43 pm

Jredelman15 wrote:

I was like you only a few weeks ago. For some reason grouping games gave me the worst results. Then I realized that I wasn't spending enough time diagramming the rules and finding the inferences prior to jumping into the questions. I would suggest focusing on the rules, and what you can draw from them. You will get better the more you practice. I would suggest finishing the LG Bible, then go through a handful of PT drilling each specific type of LG. you will find a decent list on LSAT Blog that draws from PTs 29-38 (all contained in the book "The Next 10 Actual, Official LSAT Preptests"). Complete the list, then redo any problem that gives you trouble. The more you do, the better you will get. I also suggest setting a timer, but in stopwatch mode that counts up. That way you are not racing the clock as it ticks down to zero, instead timing yourself at your normal pace. You can then track and see if you are improving your speed naturally as you work down the list.

This was also written on my phone, so apologies for any errors! :)

bdeebs

Postby bdeebs » Tue May 29, 2012 10:58 am

Something that I started doing on the grouping games that contain 3 groups (usually...I suppose it could work with 4 as well) that contain a lot of conditionals is writing the conditionals straight onto my main diagram. It's a little unconventional, because occasionally the arrow will point left instead of right, but it's not hard to interpret. It is SOOOO much easier to see.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”