Taking a gap year for GPA boost?

westwing92

Taking a gap year for GPA boost?

Postby westwing92 » Fri May 25, 2012 9:53 pm

Presumably many students have a sub-optimal freshman year and have to bring up their GPA from there as they continue. Is it worth taking senior year to improve your GPA (and then taking applying to law school during a gap year)?

Since its obviously easier to bring up your GPA over all 4 years than just until junior year, is it common/advisable? If they can see the upward trend in grades, does the number itself matter that much?

(personal example: Stanford student have 3.75 at end of junior year, could have 3.83/4 by end of senior year. assuming I would like the job that I have during the gap year, is it worth the extra year just for the GPA?)

Nova

Re: Taking a gap year for GPA boost?

Postby Nova » Fri May 25, 2012 11:44 pm

Apply during the fall of your senior year. If you dont like the results of your cycle, sit out a year.

The difference between 3.75 and 3.83 is most significant at schools where the median is between the two.

LSAT>LDAC

Postby LSAT>LDAC » Fri May 25, 2012 11:53 pm

Nova wrote:Apply during the fall of your senior year. If you dont like the results of your cycle, sit out a year.

The difference between 3.75 and 3.83 is most significant at schools where the median is between the two.

:shock:
So you can apply in the fall and if not satisfied with you results, reapply at a later date.
Hmm, I would've thought I'd have to post my Gpa on LSP for info like

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat May 26, 2012 12:20 am

I do not appreciate the patronizing sarcasm, Howard breh.

westwing92 wrote: Is it worth taking senior year to improve your GPA (and then taking applying to law school during a gap year)?

Since its obviously easier to bring up your GPA over all 4 years than just until junior year, is it common/advisable? If they can see the upward trend in grades, does the number itself matter that much?

Having a higher GPA and having post UG WE are both pluses. Not going straight through (K-JD) is fairly common. The upward trend is not importaint and only matters at the margins, if at all. LSAC GPA is what matters. Another benefit from having a gap year would be having more brain power to focus on the LSAT.

Still, I would advise someone in your position to take the LSAT this October (if you are ready) and see what happens.
Last edited by Nova on Sat May 26, 2012 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSAT>LDAC

Postby LSAT>LDAC » Sat May 26, 2012 4:48 am

Maybe, just maybe... gaining your appreciation wasn't my intention. -__-

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”