How to improve most rapidly over next two weeks

User avatar
Helicio
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:22 pm

How to improve most rapidly over next two weeks

Postby Helicio » Fri May 25, 2012 4:47 pm

December 2011 LSAT results (taken today)

LR 1=-0
LR 2=-2
RC=-4
LG=-4

Any suggestions are welcome. I scored a 173. I did way worse on LG and RC than usual (but RC was ridiculously hard).

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: How to improve most rapidly over next two weeks

Postby gaud » Fri May 25, 2012 4:49 pm

Helicio wrote:December 2011 LSAT results (taken today)

LR 1=-0
LR 2=-2
RC=-4
LG=-4

Any suggestions are welcome. I scored a 173. I did way worse on LG and RC than usual (but RC was ridiculously hard).


How do you usually perform on LG? To me, that'd be the easiest section to clean up by test day.

User avatar
Helicio
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:22 pm

Re: How to improve most rapidly over next two weeks

Postby Helicio » Fri May 25, 2012 4:51 pm

gaud wrote:
Helicio wrote:December 2011 LSAT results (taken today)

LR 1=-0
LR 2=-2
RC=-4
LG=-4

Any suggestions are welcome. I scored a 173. I did way worse on LG and RC than usual (but RC was ridiculously hard).


How do you usually perform on LG? To me, that'd be the easiest section to clean up by test day.


I usually get -1 or -2. Last preptest before this one I got -0; this one I got (obvis) -4. The mistakes I make are usually stupid and I understand how to diagram properly, etc. Should I just drill LG?

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: How to improve most rapidly over next two weeks

Postby gaud » Fri May 25, 2012 4:53 pm

Helicio wrote: Should I just drill LG?


If I were you, that's what I'd do. I always felt LG was the easiest and most fun.

To be honest, you're scoring at a level where there isn't much more that can help you than good 'ol focus on test day.

User avatar
Helicio
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:22 pm

Re: How to improve most rapidly over next two weeks

Postby Helicio » Fri May 25, 2012 4:55 pm

gaud wrote:
Helicio wrote: Should I just drill LG?


If I were you, that's what I'd do. I always felt LG was the easiest and most fun.

To be honest, you're scoring at a level where there isn't much more that can help you than good 'ol focus on test day.


Sounds good, I'll drill 8 LG per day or something.

And what you said is definitely true. Your state of mind during the LSAT is so important. I feel like my level of efficiency--concentrating yet maintaing a good speed--is one of the biggest factors during every PT I take.

I just hope I don't fuck up royally and get less than my average (173) during the real thing. LG has gotten easier over the past few tests but RC is ridiculous. During PT 65 today I had to guess on 2 questions.

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: How to improve most rapidly over next two weeks

Postby gaud » Fri May 25, 2012 4:56 pm

You're going to do great, relax. Good luck!

User avatar
Helicio
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:22 pm

Re: How to improve most rapidly over next two weeks

Postby Helicio » Fri May 25, 2012 4:57 pm

gaud wrote:You're going to do great, relax. Good luck!


Thanks man. It's so hard to relax though :(

User avatar
phillykid
Posts: 78
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: How to improve most rapidly over next two weeks

Postby phillykid » Fri May 25, 2012 10:45 pm

Again, LG should be your main focus. I am by no means an LG expert, however, I generally get -0 (4 out of 5 times) with 5-8 minutes to spare. Also, I once struggled with LG. With that being said, some details should help me help you.

1) How do you approach each game? Do you do deductions?
2) Which games give you the most trouble?
3) Are you more comfortable with closed games (few rules, 3-5) or open games (6-8)? <---- this is more important than you may think.
4) Is timing always an issue?

And one last thing.....

I average about -8 RC (would be at the 170 mark with -2 to -4). What's your secret? :D

User avatar
Helicio
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:22 pm

Re: How to improve most rapidly over next two weeks

Postby Helicio » Fri May 25, 2012 11:36 pm

phillykid wrote:Again, LG should be your main focus. I am by no means an LG expert, however, I generally get -0 (4 out of 5 times) with 5-8 minutes to spare. Also, I once struggled with LG. With that being said, some details should help me help you.

1) How do you approach each game? Do you do deductions?
2) Which games give you the most trouble?
3) Are you more comfortable with closed games (few rules, 3-5) or open games (6-8)? <---- this is more important than you may think.
4) Is timing always an issue?

And one last thing.....

I average about -8 RC (would be at the 170 mark with -2 to -4). What's your secret? :D


RC comes naturally; I have always read before sleeping (fiction) and I think that combined with a reading-intensive major has made me pretty good at RC.

For the LG questions.
1.) I spend very little time on deductions and then dive straight into the questions, doing a lot of hypotheticals.
2.) Not sure :(.
3.) Definitely closed games with fewer rules.
4.) Timing is not an issue...I finish with 5 minutes or so left.

Thanks guys!

User avatar
phillykid
Posts: 78
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: How to improve most rapidly over next two weeks

Postby phillykid » Sat May 26, 2012 1:10 am

Well first, basic deductions are invaluable. Don't get me wrong, I don't exhaust every possible deduction because it just becomes too nit picky. But of course something like h>j, j>k should be noted on the side as h>j>k. Secondly, I would practice the "open" games much more. At first, they were much more intimidating than closed games for me. However, with practice I'd much rather do an open game now. I'm sure you get to an open game and think "great, there's a million possibilities." And you're right. But the open games often play on one rule repeatedly. With the appropriate practice, this becomes obvious. Considering you have time left over, my guess is you're just a little sloppy when it comes to certain questions. That being said, I'm sure you have a general idea of LG questions that you struggle with. So if and when you have 5 minutes left, go back and try to look at question types you generally miss. Your accuracy will definitely improve. And good luck to both of us come June 11th!

User avatar
Helicio
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:22 pm

Re: How to improve most rapidly over next two weeks

Postby Helicio » Sat May 26, 2012 10:18 am

phillykid wrote:Well first, basic deductions are invaluable. Don't get me wrong, I don't exhaust every possible deduction because it just becomes too nit picky. But of course something like h>j, j>k should be noted on the side as h>j>k. Secondly, I would practice the "open" games much more. At first, they were much more intimidating than closed games for me. However, with practice I'd much rather do an open game now. I'm sure you get to an open game and think "great, there's a million possibilities." And you're right. But the open games often play on one rule repeatedly. With the appropriate practice, this becomes obvious. Considering you have time left over, my guess is you're just a little sloppy when it comes to certain questions. That being said, I'm sure you have a general idea of LG questions that you struggle with. So if and when you have 5 minutes left, go back and try to look at question types you generally miss. Your accuracy will definitely improve. And good luck to both of us come June 11th!


Thanks man!




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 5 guests