Learning to Drown Out Noise?

bdm261

Learning to Drown Out Noise?

Postby bdm261 » Thu May 24, 2012 5:53 pm

I'm one of those people who cannot concentrate on LSAT material unless I'm in extreme quiet. I know that I might not experience this during the actual LSAT, but right now I find it extremely difficult to read the intensely dense passages when there's a dog barking, or someone bumping their bass outside my window, etc.

The other day I was taking a full length in a private study room at my campus library and some group of students was in the adjacent room laughing, talking, and being really loud. I had to stop the timer and relocate because I was in the middle of an RC passage and the information just couldn't be absorbed in my brain due to their volume.

Any tricks to drown out outside noise or is it something you just have to get used to?

rinkrat19

Re: Learning to Drown Out Noise?

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu May 24, 2012 5:56 pm

I studied at the library (not even close to silent), at my dad's house with him talking to me, and with the TV on. It probably would have taken a bomb dropping on the building to bother me by test day.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Thu May 24, 2012 6:07 pm

Get used to it. You'll be taking the test in a room full of people and less than optimal conditions.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Thu May 24, 2012 6:15 pm

Unless you want to hear an orchestra of sniffling, avoid the December and February tests as much as you can.

princeR

Postby princeR » Thu May 24, 2012 6:50 pm

My first go around I could not handle any noise whatsoever. I had developed this habit during UG because I loved to go to the top floor of the library where no one can make any noises... the silence is amazing. However, while studying I would get soooo easily distracted and annoying by any sort of noises. Like you said OP, even my dog barking or just walking up the stairs was too much. You need to learn to acknowledge the sounds but than just let them go. Don't try to pretend like nothing is there, you know it is. So accept that there is a noise, but than just move on. Yes, this is very zen like. Might be too late, but I don't think meditating daily up until the test would hurt at all. Also, start taking your PTs in the middle of the library or at least in places where people are walking around, making some noises.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Thu May 24, 2012 6:54 pm

Don't remember if this is allowed for the LSAT, but foam earplugs are a godsend once you get to law school finals. If they aren't allowed, you'll just have to get used to the noises.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu May 24, 2012 7:01 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:Don't remember if this is allowed for the LSAT, but foam earplugs are a godsend once you get to law school finals. If they aren't allowed, you'll just have to get used to the noises.
Not allowed.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Thu May 24, 2012 7:08 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:Don't remember if this is allowed for the LSAT, but foam earplugs are a godsend once you get to law school finals. If they aren't allowed, you'll just have to get used to the noises.

I feel like I'm the only one who drowned out the typing sounds. I don't even remember hearing myself type.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Thu May 24, 2012 7:34 pm

Get a girlfriend. You'll learn to ignore the noise after a little.

BearState

Postby BearState » Fri May 25, 2012 9:51 am

Practice in noisier sections of libraries. Also, I think there are mp3s you can download that include proctors giving five minute warnings, chairs scraping and other outside noises to simulate a real test environment.

Mr.Binks

Postby Mr.Binks » Fri May 25, 2012 10:50 am

Br3v wrote:Get a girlfriend. You'll learn to ignore the noise after a little.

Haha.

TyrionLannister

Postby TyrionLannister » Fri May 25, 2012 11:25 am

Br3v wrote:Get a girlfriend. You'll learn to ignore the noise after a little.

LOL. Perfect.

Due to my odd work schedule, I do most of my studying around my two kids. They are 4 and 2. They are really really good at distraction techniques. Not to mention that if I want them quiet, I have to put on some random, annoying cartoon. I feel like I could literally take the test with Mickey Mouse standing behind me poking me in the back and asking for more milk over and over and over.

I will rent them to you. :)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”