Stagnant LSAT scores, increasing frustration... Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
lawquestions1

New

Stagnant LSAT scores, increasing frustration...

Post by lawquestions1 » Thu May 24, 2012 4:25 pm

Hi, I first got a 145 on a free LSAT PT given by one of the test prep companies.
Then, I got a 155 a year later with casual studying.
I thought I was doing pretty decent, but during this summer, I can't seem to get my scores up.
I haven't had a diagnostic score but I have been doing the sections that I have done a while ago and I am getting the same number of correct questions, give or take 1 or two. I have the LRG and the LRB. I have been diligently studying everyday for around 5-7 hours.
I really don't know what to make of this.
Could it be that I have hit my ceiling? Is there a ceiling?
In the LG section, I am having the greatest trouble with grouping. I go over the ones I get wrong but I don't know why I got them wrong. I can set it up exactly like LGB tells me to and I can make some inferences from them but I just can't seem to get my act together.
Some people have talked about having a breakthrough moment. What exactly constitutes a breakthrough moment? Do they mean that they have suddenly figured out how to solve the questions, the patterns in the test, or are able to get into the mind of the test makers?

For the LRs, I can figure out why I got wrong but I can't apply to other questions.
This is really frustrating me and my head is constantly in a foggy haze that I can't shake out of.
Please help.

TheThriller

Gold

Re: Stagnant LSAT scores, increasing frustration...

Post by TheThriller » Thu May 24, 2012 5:05 pm

When did you start studying 5-7 hours a day?
What tests are you using?

You should first start (while this may be too late for the June test) with a clean, cold diagnostic, IF you are curious where you stand. Then I would focus on the types of questions that you consistently miss and drill questions of that type (perhaps using strategies from test prep books like PS or Blueprint). This applies to LG, LR and RC. There are plenty of guides here on the forums that offer a frame from a 3+ month self study program.

It's not so much "breakthrough" moments as things just start to "click". Soon, LG becomes easy and formulaic, where the questions all say the exact same things. LR may click question type by question type, becoming familiar with LSAT jargon may help you easily distinguish between trap/correct answers.

I know it's tough to come to these forums and listen to all the advice given from the 175+ crowd. But there is also a large group of us who have studied (and continued) to study for months to reach this level. I can only speak for myself, I kicked my butt since Feb. months and went from a 14x diagnostic score to 16x-17x prep test average.

Maybe a tutor/and outside opinion may help explain things in a different manner then how you logically breakdown things. I have a friend who is going to YLS who I sat down and talked through a PT with. I learned a good deal about my own reasoning tendencies and how he approached problems that I struggled with.

It's doable to improve if you approach the test smart. Your understanding of key concepts will dictate how you will preform. However, things applicable to a specific individual may not always work. I would say formulate a cohesive study plan and sit for the Oct. LSAT or beyond.

lawquestions1

New

Post by lawquestions1 » Thu May 24, 2012 5:27 pm

MillerTheThriller wrote:When did you start studying 5-7 hours a day?
What tests are you using?

You should first start (while this may be too late for the June test) with a clean, cold diagnostic, IF you are curious where you stand. Then I would focus on the types of questions that you consistently miss and drill questions of that type (perhaps using strategies from test prep books like PS or Blueprint). This applies to LG, LR and RC. There are plenty of guides here on the forums that offer a frame from a 3+ month self study program.

It's not so much "breakthrough" moments as things just start to "click". Soon, LG becomes easy and formulaic, where the questions all say the exact same things. LR may click question type by question type, becoming familiar with LSAT jargon may help you easily distinguish between trap/correct answers.

I know it's tough to come to these forums and listen to all the advice given from the 175+ crowd. But there is also a large group of us who have studied (and continued) to study for months to reach this level. I can only speak for myself, I kicked my butt since Feb. months and went from a 14x diagnostic score to 16x-17x prep test average.

Maybe a tutor/and outside opinion may help explain things in a different manner then how you logically breakdown things. I have a friend who is going to YLS who I sat down and talked through a PT with. I learned a good deal about my own reasoning tendencies and how he approached problems that I struggled with.

It's doable to improve if you approach the test smart. Your understanding of key concepts will dictate how you will preform. However, things applicable to a specific individual may not always work. I would say formulate a cohesive study plan and sit for the Oct. LSAT or beyond.
Thank you for your tips. I have been starting in earnest for three weeks now. I am using the PTs from 29-38. No one around me is studying for law school (something about MCATs or GREs or something?) and I am so impatient to see my scores improve. I feel like I may never improve and I am so nervous about the October test.

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Thu May 24, 2012 5:33 pm

If you're sitting for the Oct. test you should be ok!

Relax! I am the only one I know studying for the LSATs while a bunch of my friends are currently studying for the MCats and DETs.

You have time, PM me if you want my a more in-depth take on studying. Being nervous is only doing you a disservice this far out in your prep.

markeconrad

New

Post by markeconrad » Fri May 25, 2012 1:10 am

Have you looked through the logic diagramming section? Even if you don't diagram that much, it still helped me get a more intuitive feel for the right answers. I highly recommend going through the diagramming section in the LRB and doing others if you still feel like you don't have a firm grasp on it. I went from high 150s to mid 160s once I did this.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”