What's the difference between all of the Kaplan courses?

Junebugman

What's the difference between all of the Kaplan courses?

Postby Junebugman » Wed May 23, 2012 2:08 am

I see they have like a baisc, advanced, and extreme course. Is there a difference between the methods of teaching or is it just the same course, but with more hours than the previous? Also I keep hearing that Kaplan is not a very good company for lsat prep, but are only some of their courses such as basic or advanced bad, while extreme is their good one, or what's the deal?

gaud

Re: What's the difference between all of the Kaplan courses?

Postby gaud » Wed May 23, 2012 2:09 am

They all suck. Trust me. Go elsewhere.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Wed May 23, 2012 2:11 am

gaud wrote:They all suck. Trust me. Go elsewhere.

This. They're all shit.

dowu

Postby dowu » Wed May 23, 2012 2:12 am

:shock: :shock:
Last edited by dowu on Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

autocratech

Postby autocratech » Wed May 23, 2012 2:20 am

I took basic and extreme in UG, neither boosted my score beyond 154. I took Blueprint and I was PTing ~165. Just my personal experience of how shitty I discovered Kaplan to be. Waste of money, waste of time.

Junebugman

Postby Junebugman » Wed May 23, 2012 3:19 am

My UG has tons of Kaplan flyers hanging around for LSAT and GRE prep and we have PR come into some of the pre-law classes such as Con Law and give 5-10minute lectures about their program. If it weren't for this website, the only prep courses I think would exist are either Kaplan or PR. And on a related topic, I heard something about the Kaplan Extreme course requiring some high lsat diagnostic just to enter the course. What's that about?

gaud

Postby gaud » Wed May 23, 2012 3:22 am

There is such a Kaplan program, but it's still going to suck. Trust me/us, go with a different prep company or self-study.

You won't regret it.

Junebugman

Postby Junebugman » Wed May 23, 2012 3:26 am

Well I was thinking about Blueprint. And I'm not thinking about taking Kaplan, I just asked what's the difference because I constantly hear that Kaplan has different types of courses. Hell, I've even heard they have an $11,000 course for a summer session lol

flippacious

Postby flippacious » Wed May 23, 2012 2:51 pm

Junebugman wrote:I see they have like a baisc, advanced, and extreme course. Is there a difference between the methods of teaching or is it just the same course, but with more hours than the previous? Also I keep hearing that Kaplan is not a very good company for lsat prep, but are only some of their courses such as basic or advanced bad, while extreme is their good one, or what's the deal?

They all use the same method of teaching, as far as I know. It's just a different number of classroom hours/in-class preptests. I just finished the Kaplan Extreme course. Due to low enrollment, they combined the Advantage and the Extreme classes into one. Both groups of students were in a combined class one night a week, and the Extreme students had additional Saturday sessions. So, I think the difference between those two packages is classroom hours.

The Extreme class did not required a certain diagnostic. I think that might be the Kaplan "Advanced" course, but they do not seem to offer that one as often. Maybe a minimum diagnostic requirement would improve the class, but I'm skeptical.

I would also recommend self-study over the Kaplan courses. I can't say much for any other course company, but my experience with Kaplan wasn't great. I was constantly frustrated with the pace of the class and felt I could have spent my time more wisely studying on my own. I did like the chance to take five preptests in a room with other students, though. But that's about it.

VariableChange

Postby VariableChange » Wed May 30, 2012 11:53 am

Kaplan is GREAT.....
At marketing it's test prep services.

As for the Test Prep Services....
:|

When you think of Kaplan or any test prep company, one must use hypotheticals to compare, contrast motives.

If I was an Executive for the Washington Post (Kaplan is a subsidiary), then I am mainly concerned with (students' scores/revenues going up)

If I work at Kaplan, how do I teach my students to learn the material (The Kaplan Way/The Best Way/A mixture of the two)

In my opinion, Kaplan is solely interested in generating more revenues, and it uses its size to attract more and more students every year. In contrast, many of the smaller companies live and die by the value they've added to students' test scores.

Further, Kaplan has it's own in-house way of teaching which is branded, and instructors aren't flexible on changing that. In contrast, smaller companies offer instructors more flexibility in offering the "best approach"

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”