Sharp Drop in Practice Test Scores

msquaredb

Sharp Drop in Practice Test Scores

Postby msquaredb » Tue May 22, 2012 9:28 am

Hello all,

I have a quick question about some possible sources of trouble I am having. Prior to this week I was studying lightly and my practice exams kept going up reliably. The first I took cold I got a 154. After I started studying my scores when 157, 161,162,164,167. However, this week I really ramped up my studying and I have started doing much worse than my 167 high. I have scored 157, 163, and 160.

There are a few things I think could account for this, and I wanted to know which one you all think is most probably.

1. I switched to the LSAT post-2007.
2. I am taking the exam after an 8 hour workday from 7-10pm. My previous exams were midmorning.
3. I am just getting extremely worked up and burning myself out by taking too many exams. 3 in 4 days.

Additionally, these scores have come with only getting 8, 12, 8 correct on the logic games section! Logic games are my worst section, but I was getting at least over half right with my previous scores. I think I may have anxiety problems.

Also, did any of you find that your test day performance exceeded practice exams?

Any advice would be helpful.

elterrible78

Re: Sharp Drop in Practice Test Scores

Postby elterrible78 » Tue May 22, 2012 9:38 am

msquaredb wrote:Hello all,

I have a quick question about some possible sources of trouble I am having. Prior to this week I was studying lightly and my practice exams kept going up reliably. The first I took cold I got a 154. After I started studying my scores when 157, 161,162,164,167. However, this week I really ramped up my studying and I have started doing much worse than my 167 high. I have scored 157, 163, and 160.

There are a few things I think could account for this, and I wanted to know which one you all think is most probably.

1. I switched to the LSAT post-2007.
2. I am taking the exam after an 8 hour workday from 7-10pm. My previous exams were midmorning.
3. I am just getting extremely worked up and burning myself out by taking too many exams. 3 in 4 days.

Additionally, these scores have come with only getting 8, 12, 8 correct on the logic games section! Logic games are my worst section, but I was getting at least over half right with my previous scores. I think I may have anxiety problems.

Any of those could be contributing (and they probably are), but I think #3 is the big one. I had the same thing happen to me. I cut back to 2 PTs a week and voila, problem solved.

By the way, what have you done to prepare for logic games? There's no way you should have to get more than a few wrong - at worst - on test day if you prepare properly, and it seems like that would *really* boost your score.

msquaredb

Postby msquaredb » Tue May 22, 2012 9:47 am

I bought the Logic Games Bible and I also bought the Power Score book of previously administered logic games (currently in progress). I think it is a mental thing really. I lose my head and start skipping around. I know I am mentally capable. I am a 3.96 GPA Biochemistry major with publications at a large research university. I know this isn't an intelligence issue, but that is what is most frustrating because I know 3.96 science GPA and a 167 could do for me.

I think that if I really hit the logic games hard in the two weeks prior to my exam date I should be in much better shape. The main issue I have is time. That is why I start skipping around. I tell myself I am going to identify the easiest three and devote time to them and then move to the last and take the hit, but I totally lose my head.

Also, one type of game in particular gives me lots of trouble. Undefined grouping.

flem

Postby flem » Tue May 22, 2012 9:50 am

msquaredb wrote:I bought the Logic Games Bible and I also bought the Power Score book of previously administered logic games (currently in progress). I think it is a mental thing really. I lose my head and start skipping around. I know I am mentally capable. I am a 3.96 GPA Biochemistry major with publications at a large research university. I know this isn't an intelligence issue, but that is what is most frustrating because I know 3.96 science GPA and a 167 could do for me.

I think that if I really hit the logic games hard in the two weeks prior to my exam date I should be in much better shape. The main issue I have is time. That is why I start skipping around. I tell myself I am going to identify the easiest three and devote time to them and then move to the last and take the hit, but I totally lose my head.

Also, one type of game in particular gives me lots of trouble. Undefined grouping.

1) Feel free to skip around and attack games that are easiest for you. There's nothing wrong with that. Don't get bogged down on a game that sucks. Leave that one for last. That's not a bad thing.

2) If you're not ready for the June test, feel free to postpone until October. With a 3.9ish GPA it won't hurt your cycle.

3) Undefined grouping games sucks and they're often the hardest for many people due to the uncertainty. Do you do an in/out diagram? That makes it "defined" in a way - make two groups, one group for selected variables and one for unselected variables. It might make things visually easier for you if all variables are accounted for if you're not doing this already.

msquaredb

Postby msquaredb » Tue May 22, 2012 10:00 am

I considered postponing the exam, but I think I can whip my logic game woes with some serious practice.

I write the conditionals, contrapositives, and them link them and make inferences. I am not familiar with the in and out method, but I will research it.

flem

Postby flem » Tue May 22, 2012 10:03 am

msquaredb wrote:I considered postponing the exam, but I think I can whip my logic game woes with some serious practice.

I write the conditionals, contrapositives, and them link them and make inferences. I am not familiar with the in and out method, but I will research it.

1) I'm just saying, if you're not comfortable 100% with logic games by then, feel free to postpone. I wish I would have - for me games were a crapshoot - I'd either get them all right, or only get like 2. I ended up shitting the bed on test day and my score dropped 8 points from my practice tests.

2) In/out should help you if you're doing everything else right. Give it a shot!

LionelHutzJD

Postby LionelHutzJD » Tue May 22, 2012 10:08 am

flem wrote:
msquaredb wrote:I considered postponing the exam, but I think I can whip my logic game woes with some serious practice.

1) I'm just saying, if you're not comfortable 100% with logic games by then, feel free to postpone. I wish I would have - for me games were a crapshoot - I'd either get them all right, or only get like 2. I ended up shitting the bed on test day and my score dropped 8 points from my practice tests.

2) In/out should help you if you're doing everything else right. Give it a shot!

What is this in/out method?

flem

Postby flem » Tue May 22, 2012 10:13 am

LionelHutzJD wrote:What is this in/out method?

Total hypothetical: You're selecting a committee of four people our of seven options. This is a defined grouping game since it's easier to illustrate the principle.

A B C D E F G

_ _ _ _ (selected/in)

_ _ _ (not selected/out)

Though the game is overloaded (there are more people than spaces), just make two "groups", one for selected members and one for unselected. By having visually illustrated the second group of unselected variables, there's a visual advantage because all variables become accounted for. For undefined games do the same thing, though you won't have a fixed number of spaces, obviously.

d0rklord

Postby d0rklord » Tue May 22, 2012 10:39 am

If you are having trouble with games, PLEASE PLEASE try the Manhattan LG book. It's pretty small... You could probably finish it easily in less than a day. I think it's more user friendly and it couple with the PS Bible will allow you to choose which method best works for you. LG is the easiest section to improve on, so you're lucky. With a GPA that high, get a 170+ and get a full ride to a T14!

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Tue May 22, 2012 11:01 am

msquaredb wrote:I bought the Logic Games Bible and I also bought the Power Score book of previously administered logic games (currently in progress). I think it is a mental thing really. I lose my head and start skipping around. I know I am mentally capable. I am a 3.96 GPA Biochemistry major with publications at a large research university. I know this isn't an intelligence issue, but that is what is most frustrating because I know 3.96 science GPA and a 167 could do for me.

I would start hitting them now if I were you, and definitely very hard. You'll be able to improve your score significantly, I bet, but the key is going to be devoting time and drilling, even doing the same games over and over again. At least for me, it has helped me make inferences much more easily. Also, when I start attacking the questions, the important rules to consider for the specific question come to me without even thinking. This was definitely not the case a month ago!

Fleming's advice is good, though...you can always postpone until October if you still don't feel great about it going into the June test. Good luck!

msquaredb

Postby msquaredb » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:19 am

Thanks for the advice everyone! I started only taking practice tests once on the weekend and doing about four logic games a day and I have scored 166 and 170 on my past two practice exams.

I think I was burning out, but most importantly, by focusing on the games, I am only missing about 4-5 per section now as opposed to 14-15 like I was previously. :D

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”