Reviewing Questions you got Right

BillsFan9907

Reviewing Questions you got Right

Postby BillsFan9907 » Mon May 21, 2012 11:12 am

I've heard that it is wise to go over the explanations for questions that I got right, not only those that I got wrong.

What is the logic behind this, and for those of you who have done so - how helpful was it in improving your score? Was there any section where this was most helpful? Least helpful?

flem

Re: Reviewing Questions you got Right

Postby flem » Mon May 21, 2012 11:16 am

Do it to understand why the wrong answers are wrong. The same tricks in language come up over and over again - the more familiar you are with them, the better off you'll be.

Realistically though, reviewing every question in depth is an enormous time sink. I always mark anything I'm not 100% about going through and review it later, even if I got it right.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Mon May 21, 2012 11:17 am

I tend to review all wrong, and those that were borderline or for sure more guess than correct response

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Mon May 21, 2012 11:20 am

flem wrote:I always mark anything I'm not 100% about going through and review it later, even if I got it right.

This is good advice. You should already get in the habit of flagging problematic questions that will take you more time, so you can skip them and return to them at the end of the session. These questions are good to review even if answered correctly as it took you too long to do so.

markeconrad

Postby markeconrad » Mon May 21, 2012 11:26 am

I just make sure I know why I got it right and the others were wrong. If I can do that with some surety, I don't go over explanations.

BillsFan9907

Postby BillsFan9907 » Mon May 21, 2012 11:54 am

So has anyone who has done this seen a noticeable improvement?

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Mon May 21, 2012 12:02 pm

Seoulless wrote:So has anyone who has done this seen a noticeable improvement?

I jumped seven points from my first PT to my actual score. I also think there is no "one-size-fits-all" solution. This type of review will help more if you are trying to limit your room for error rather than still figuring out how the LSAT works. If you're climbing from the low 170s to a higher score, I'd say it is necessary.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Mon May 21, 2012 12:04 pm

I'm not sure how to answer this question.

I have done this, and I have seen a noticeable improvement, but as we all know correlation does not mean causation, my improvement was easily due to a number of factors each of which may have had considerable more impact than just going over question I got right.

I do think it helps because I think it solidifies sound reasoning. If you were stuck between two questions, picked one for a reason you weren't sure was correct, and it was, then never looking at that question again is a huge missed opportunity for by the end of the section your probably already forgot what reason you used to pick the right answer and will be equally unsure of yourself next time it comes up, and may pick the wrong one that time. Realizing what things constitute a better answer works just as well on ones you got right than ones you got wrong.

chill

Postby chill » Mon May 21, 2012 12:28 pm

Last edited by chill on Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Mon May 21, 2012 12:29 pm

chill wrote:

I used no prep materials beyond the bibles at the very start and actual LSATs. For every question I got wrong on an actual LSAT, I wrote out a few sentences about what the right answer was, what my answer was, why the right answer was better, and what seduced me about the wrong answer. Writing it out helped me spot and correct patterns.

Was low-170's after the Bibles; cracked into the upper 170's via this method. I think it might be the best way to pick up those last few points.

You've convinced me. I'm going to start doing this. I'm assuming you didn't do this for LGs though, right?

flem

Postby flem » Mon May 21, 2012 12:30 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:
You've convinced me. I'm going to start doing this. I'm assuming you didn't do this for LGs though, right?

I mean, LG are very clearly either wrong or right. Seems like a waste of time unless a game specifically confused you.

chill

Postby chill » Mon May 21, 2012 1:04 pm

Last edited by chill on Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Mon May 21, 2012 1:50 pm

chill wrote:I have to admit, I was perfect on LG's after the Bible (and NYC LSAT tutor's LG spreadsheet). I think I misbubbled a few, or misread a few questions, but there were no questions that I just didn't get. I think doing and redoing games until you really get them would be helpful, though.

I can speak to this as someone who still struggled with LGs after the prep. I would wait several days and then redo the game in its entirety before looking at the explanations when I missed a question in the section. Even on test day I still missed points on that section, but I think I was able to avoid a complete disaster thanks to that process. That said, if you follow chill's advice, you could perfect the LR sections (this was always my goal) and make up for any mistakes in AR.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”