Confession:I have never looked at the writing sample Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Br3v

Gold

Confession:I have never looked at the writing sample

Post by Br3v » Mon May 21, 2012 10:41 am

Does anyone?
(writing portion at end of PTs)
I plan on doing 1, maybe 2, but they are not graded and from what I gather, meaningless.

Tanicius

Gold

Re: Confession:I have never looked at the writing sample

Post by Tanicius » Mon May 21, 2012 10:46 am

You'll be fine. It'll ask you to make an argument for one of two positions. Pick one, support it with facts from the fact pattern and explain why they're helpful for your argument, and then address counter-arguments by the other side and end with a conclusion where you repeat the most critical reasons.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Mon May 21, 2012 10:48 am

Yeah, I think 1 - 2 is the appropriate amount of time. There are stories of people with stellar numbers getting rejected from schools because they drew pictures on their writing samples. That being said, I wouldn't prep for more than an hour. Just know how they work.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Mon May 21, 2012 10:56 am

Yeah I'm not worried, and I'm going to take it serious on game day. Just wanted to see if I was normal

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Mon May 21, 2012 10:57 am

LSAT classes typically spend 30-60 minutes on the Writing Sample. I suggest you not spend any more than that. For example, don't buy this.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Mon May 21, 2012 11:50 am

I've written essays for the writing sample twice now only because I've taken the LSAT twice. I really don't think it needs any preparation, except looking at the directions and a prompt or two beforehand.

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Mon May 21, 2012 11:57 am

I have looked at the writing sample maybe 3 or 4 times and simply formulated an outline in my head. Took 5 minutes and has made me extremely comfortable with the writing sample as they all seem to be similar and there is no "wrong answer" as long as you defend your position with reason.

I don't plan to study it or practice it, but I do plan to give it my best go on test day. The hard part is already done and a good writing sample, though many think superfluous, can only help my chances.

thestalkmore

New

Post by thestalkmore » Mon May 21, 2012 1:17 pm

Haven't looked.

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Mon May 21, 2012 1:25 pm

It's worthless. Doing even 1 or 2 is a waste of your time.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Helicio

Bronze

Post by Helicio » Mon May 21, 2012 1:43 pm

I'm gonna look at one today or tomorrow just to know what it's like.

elterrible78

Silver

Post by elterrible78 » Mon May 21, 2012 2:01 pm

Br3v wrote:Does anyone?
I plan on doing 1, maybe 2, but they are not graded and from what I gather, meaningless.
Have not even looked at it, but I will probably glance for about 30 seconds the night before the test. Will definitely not do one as practice.

Since it's not graded, there's no practical way to tell how good/bad your practice attempts are. From everything I gather, it's virtually meaningless in terms of admissions (not withstanding the arrogant fucks who apparently have drawn pictures on it), which makes perfect sense, given the amount of material adcoms have to look at. Are they really going to read everyone's ungraded essay and compare them in making decisions? Highly unlikely.

Anyway, if you've managed to at least make it through a couple years of undergrad, there's no reason whatsoever that you should have to "practice" writing a persuasive, analytical argument. If you don't know how to write one by now, you've gone terribly wrong at some point.

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Mon May 21, 2012 2:03 pm

elterrible78 wrote:
Br3v wrote:Does anyone?
Have not even looked at it, but I will probably glance for about 30 seconds the night before the test. Will definitely not do one as practice.

Since it's not graded, there's no practical way to tell how good/bad your practice attempts are. From everything I gather, it's virtually meaningless in terms of admissions (not withstanding the arrogant fucks who apparently have drawn pictures on it), which makes perfect sense, given the amount of material adcoms have to look at. Are they really going to read everyone's ungraded essay and compare them in making decisions? Highly unlikely.

Anyway, if you've managed to at least make it through a couple years of undergrad, there's no reason whatsoever that you should have to "practice" writing a persuasive, analytical argument. If you don't know how to write one by now, you've gone terribly wrong at some point.
There was a post awhile back about a guy who drew a picture on his, and he got into either Harvard or Stanford (maybe both?) and his acceptance letter included a comment about the picture lol.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Mon May 21, 2012 2:43 pm

shifty_eyed wrote: There was a post awhile back about a guy who drew a picture on his, and he got into either Harvard or Stanford (maybe both?) and his acceptance letter included a comment about the picture lol.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 0#p5423603
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 5#p4853235

Note that he actually wrote a response and then drew a picture.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Mon May 21, 2012 2:47 pm

The writing sample is basically only there to ensure you can read, understand, and answer an arbitrary short answer question. If you take it seriously and aren't completely illiterate, you should be fine. No real reason to prep for it IMO.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Mon May 21, 2012 4:57 pm

That picture lol. How'd op get a copy? I guess you can request a copy of written portion?

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Mon May 21, 2012 5:08 pm

Br3v wrote:That picture lol. How'd op get a copy? I guess you can request a copy of written portion?
Don't you get a copy of your answer sheet? It's all scanned in, I thought.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Mon May 21, 2012 5:16 pm

TommyK wrote:
Br3v wrote:That picture lol. How'd op get a copy? I guess you can request a copy of written portion?
Don't you get a copy of your answer sheet? It's all scanned in, I thought.
Thought you had to request that for a fee or whatever

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”