Confession:I have never looked at the writing sample

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Confession:I have never looked at the writing sample

Postby Br3v » Mon May 21, 2012 10:41 am

Does anyone?
(writing portion at end of PTs)
I plan on doing 1, maybe 2, but they are not graded and from what I gather, meaningless.

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: Confession:I have never looked at the writing sample

Postby Tanicius » Mon May 21, 2012 10:46 am

You'll be fine. It'll ask you to make an argument for one of two positions. Pick one, support it with facts from the fact pattern and explain why they're helpful for your argument, and then address counter-arguments by the other side and end with a conclusion where you repeat the most critical reasons.

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: Confession:I have never looked at the writing sample

Postby TommyK » Mon May 21, 2012 10:48 am

Yeah, I think 1 - 2 is the appropriate amount of time. There are stories of people with stellar numbers getting rejected from schools because they drew pictures on their writing samples. That being said, I wouldn't prep for more than an hour. Just know how they work.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Confession:I have never looked at the writing sample

Postby Br3v » Mon May 21, 2012 10:56 am

Yeah I'm not worried, and I'm going to take it serious on game day. Just wanted to see if I was normal

tomwatts
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: Confession:I have never looked at the writing sample

Postby tomwatts » Mon May 21, 2012 10:57 am

LSAT classes typically spend 30-60 minutes on the Writing Sample. I suggest you not spend any more than that. For example, don't buy this.

User avatar
shifty_eyed
Posts: 1934
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: Confession:I have never looked at the writing sample

Postby shifty_eyed » Mon May 21, 2012 11:50 am

I've written essays for the writing sample twice now only because I've taken the LSAT twice. I really don't think it needs any preparation, except looking at the directions and a prompt or two beforehand.

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Confession:I have never looked at the writing sample

Postby Micdiddy » Mon May 21, 2012 11:57 am

I have looked at the writing sample maybe 3 or 4 times and simply formulated an outline in my head. Took 5 minutes and has made me extremely comfortable with the writing sample as they all seem to be similar and there is no "wrong answer" as long as you defend your position with reason.

I don't plan to study it or practice it, but I do plan to give it my best go on test day. The hard part is already done and a good writing sample, though many think superfluous, can only help my chances.

User avatar
thestalkmore
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:11 am

Re: Confession:I have never looked at the writing sample

Postby thestalkmore » Mon May 21, 2012 1:17 pm

Haven't looked.

User avatar
blurbz
Posts: 1229
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: Confession:I have never looked at the writing sample

Postby blurbz » Mon May 21, 2012 1:25 pm

It's worthless. Doing even 1 or 2 is a waste of your time.

User avatar
Helicio
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:22 pm

Re: Confession:I have never looked at the writing sample

Postby Helicio » Mon May 21, 2012 1:43 pm

I'm gonna look at one today or tomorrow just to know what it's like.

User avatar
elterrible78
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:09 am

Re: Confession:I have never looked at the writing sample

Postby elterrible78 » Mon May 21, 2012 2:01 pm

Br3v wrote:Does anyone?
(writing portion at end of PTs)
I plan on doing 1, maybe 2, but they are not graded and from what I gather, meaningless.


Have not even looked at it, but I will probably glance for about 30 seconds the night before the test. Will definitely not do one as practice.

Since it's not graded, there's no practical way to tell how good/bad your practice attempts are. From everything I gather, it's virtually meaningless in terms of admissions (not withstanding the arrogant fucks who apparently have drawn pictures on it), which makes perfect sense, given the amount of material adcoms have to look at. Are they really going to read everyone's ungraded essay and compare them in making decisions? Highly unlikely.

Anyway, if you've managed to at least make it through a couple years of undergrad, there's no reason whatsoever that you should have to "practice" writing a persuasive, analytical argument. If you don't know how to write one by now, you've gone terribly wrong at some point.

User avatar
shifty_eyed
Posts: 1934
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: Confession:I have never looked at the writing sample

Postby shifty_eyed » Mon May 21, 2012 2:03 pm

elterrible78 wrote:
Br3v wrote:Does anyone?
(writing portion at end of PTs)
I plan on doing 1, maybe 2, but they are not graded and from what I gather, meaningless.


Have not even looked at it, but I will probably glance for about 30 seconds the night before the test. Will definitely not do one as practice.

Since it's not graded, there's no practical way to tell how good/bad your practice attempts are. From everything I gather, it's virtually meaningless in terms of admissions (not withstanding the arrogant fucks who apparently have drawn pictures on it), which makes perfect sense, given the amount of material adcoms have to look at. Are they really going to read everyone's ungraded essay and compare them in making decisions? Highly unlikely.

Anyway, if you've managed to at least make it through a couple years of undergrad, there's no reason whatsoever that you should have to "practice" writing a persuasive, analytical argument. If you don't know how to write one by now, you've gone terribly wrong at some point.


There was a post awhile back about a guy who drew a picture on his, and he got into either Harvard or Stanford (maybe both?) and his acceptance letter included a comment about the picture lol.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Confession:I have never looked at the writing sample

Postby sundance95 » Mon May 21, 2012 2:43 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:There was a post awhile back about a guy who drew a picture on his, and he got into either Harvard or Stanford (maybe both?) and his acceptance letter included a comment about the picture lol.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=151124&start=50#p5423603
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=151124&start=25#p4853235

Note that he actually wrote a response and then drew a picture.

User avatar
rickgrimes69
Posts: 1107
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:56 am

Re: Confession:I have never looked at the writing sample

Postby rickgrimes69 » Mon May 21, 2012 2:47 pm

The writing sample is basically only there to ensure you can read, understand, and answer an arbitrary short answer question. If you take it seriously and aren't completely illiterate, you should be fine. No real reason to prep for it IMO.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Confession:I have never looked at the writing sample

Postby Br3v » Mon May 21, 2012 4:57 pm

That picture lol. How'd op get a copy? I guess you can request a copy of written portion?

User avatar
TommyK
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:08 pm

Re: Confession:I have never looked at the writing sample

Postby TommyK » Mon May 21, 2012 5:08 pm

Br3v wrote:That picture lol. How'd op get a copy? I guess you can request a copy of written portion?


Don't you get a copy of your answer sheet? It's all scanned in, I thought.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: Confession:I have never looked at the writing sample

Postby Br3v » Mon May 21, 2012 5:16 pm

TommyK wrote:
Br3v wrote:That picture lol. How'd op get a copy? I guess you can request a copy of written portion?


Don't you get a copy of your answer sheet? It's all scanned in, I thought.


Thought you had to request that for a fee or whatever




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests