Score improvements when groggy/tired? :\

Sloth Hero

Score improvements when groggy/tired? :\

Postby Sloth Hero » Fri May 18, 2012 9:54 am

I was listening to NPR on my way back from the library yesterday, and there was a neuroscience guy talking about people in experiments score much higher on creativity/critical-thinking problems when they are fatigued compared to when they are alert.

And I've noticed that when I am tired (not hungover ugh), I tend to score much higher on RC and LR. Apparently, when subjects are groggy they are more pessimistic, methodological, and critical than when they are buzzing on caffeine. Supposedly this is because well-rested subjects are much more confident in their own thought process, albeit unwarrantably.

I am curious if anyone else has had similar experiences.

Also, when I am fatigued, my LG score tends to drop. This is probably because time becomes a factor. It seems that when I am tired I think slower, but I think better. So maybe for those of you like myself who can finish LR and RC sections in 28 minutes, might want to try holding off on the caffeine for a PT once or twice, and let me know how that works for ya.

Re: Score improvements when groggy/tired? :\

Postby Br3v » Fri May 18, 2012 9:58 am

Yeah maybe, but I wouldn't recommend like not sleeping before the LSAT lol.

I think most of it comes because participants probably way toget it over with so they get more to the point quicker.

Postby Micdiddy » Fri May 18, 2012 10:33 pm

I can say without a doubt, that at least for me personally performing tired has definitely hurt my score.

With that said, I have surprised myself with how well I have done tired sometimes, but even then my tired scores were not better than my alert one, just surprisingly better than I thought.

Postby roaringeagle » Fri May 18, 2012 10:50 pm

day of the lsat, i was kind of in this zone. When they said start I was even further in that zone. I think being hyper-alert but using those qualities that seem more prominent when you're less alert is a winning combination. It was scary how focused I was. I scored less than I should have because I didn't focus on LR or read the Powerscore Bible. I was averaging -2/-1 per section the other 3 sections, so the 8-9 LR I skipped really hurt my score.

Postby glucose101 » Sat May 19, 2012 1:33 am

Maybe when you're tired, you react slower, so you're able to comprehend things more efficiently?

Postby 83947368 » Sat May 19, 2012 2:39 am

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”