June LSAT- Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
h2opolo

New

June LSAT-

Post by h2opolo » Fri May 18, 2012 1:23 am

Hi all,
I began studying for the LSAT two weeks ago. I had been extraordinarily busy with school. I took my first timed test 2 weeks ago and scored a 158. I have taken several other tests and chronologically my scores are as follows: 158, 157, 157, 160, 161, 167, 164, 163. I read through both PS Bibles. I am studying approx 10 hrs/day. I am happy with my near 10 pnt jump in one week but I boast a 4.0 GPA and am in Honors at a top State University, however paradoxical that may sound, so any score under 169-170 is nothing less than disappointing. Obviously come test day 180 is ideal but 172 is my more realistic goal. My most recent 163 was low due to -11 on RC resulting from poor time management. Anyway, I will not feel comfortable come test day until I am consistently scoring above 170. I guess this post was simply looking for reassurance or advice on how to best achieve this. I don't want to wait until Oct. as I want to apply early in the admissions cycle to have my best shot at t14 schools with money money money.
Thanks in advance!

gaud

Platinum

Re: June LSAT-

Post by gaud » Fri May 18, 2012 1:39 am

You should probably wait until October if you won't be satisfied with anything under a 170. You can still apply ED just about anywhere with an October score AND it will give you more time be be sure you will score 170+. Just my 2 cents.

JohnDorian

New

Post by JohnDorian » Fri May 18, 2012 2:04 am

-
Last edited by JohnDorian on Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

d0rklord

Bronze

Post by d0rklord » Fri May 18, 2012 11:02 am

Yeah. Chill out. And I mean that in the nicest possible way. Your dedication to the test is GREAT. However, you need to relax... 10 hours a day!? Plus, that's a ton of PTs to take in a week.

Take October, no debate on that.

I recommend either buying the Manhattan LSAT series, or Powerscore, or both. Work through those books so you can develop skills (mix and match is the best) and then hone in on your strengths/weaknesses.

Once you've read the books, take another PT and see which sections you're having trouble with, and drill, drill, drill, drill.

There's 141 days from now until October. Plenty of time to pace yourself, develop and sharpen skills, and still have a life. No need to study 10 hours a day from now until then. You'll run out of material and burn yourself out, DEFINITELY.

Good luck :)

EDIT:

LG By Type: http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/lo ... types.html
LR By Type: http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2009/06/ls ... sheet.html

Great for drilling.

h2opolo

New

Post by h2opolo » Fri May 18, 2012 6:04 pm

Thanks for the replies.
I will definitely take that all into consideration. I took a full timed test today and scored a 168. I like my trajectory and am feeling more confident in understanding my timing, the patterns of the test, and the mistakes I am making. I am going to continue to cram as much as possible before June 11th, the worst that could happen is I burn out and on June 10th I decide to not take the test and lose the $120 or however much it is to take the test. If in the next 3 weeks I consistently score above 173ish I will take the test on June 11th. If I do not feel 100% comfortable come June 10th and my test scores are inconsistent or consistently low then I will have no hesitation canceling my date and taking the October test. Again I appreciate your comments; they really helped relieve my apprehension of taking the October test. I will see come next week how I feel. If I burn out let's hope its on June 10th or 12th in which case I will take a week off and still have 3 months to study while already standing on a firm base. Thank you all again I appreciate the comments but be warned, if I score a 150 on the October test I will hold you all accountable!!

PS Go USA water polo 2012!

PPS thanks for those study sites d0rklord they look very helpful.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Fri May 18, 2012 6:13 pm

JohnDorian wrote:STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT.

One of the worst things you can do for your score is to obsessively take tests. This happened to me.

You take another one the next day and you get the same/lower score. I WONDER WHY. MAYBE IT IS BECAUSE NOTHING HAS CHANGED!?!?

Right now you're increasing because of familiarity with the exam, but they'll start to continually decrease because quite frankly you're burning yourself out.
d0rklord wrote:Yeah. Chill out. And I mean that in the nicest possible way. Your dedication to the test is GREAT. However, you need to relax... 10 hours a day!? Plus, that's a ton of PTs to take in a week.

Take October, no debate on that.
h2opolo wrote:Thanks for the replies.
I will definitely take that all into consideration. I took a full timed test today

Nammertat

Silver

Post by Nammertat » Fri May 18, 2012 6:39 pm

I will definitely take that all into consideration. I took a full timed test today and scored a 168. I like my trajectory and am feeling more confident in understanding my timing, the patterns of the test, and the mistakes I am making. I am going to continue to cram as much as possible before June 11th, the worst that could happen is I burn out and on June 10th I decide to not take the test and lose the $120 or however much it is to take the test. If in the next 3 weeks I consistently score above 173ish I will take the test on June 11th. If I do not feel 100% comfortable come June 10th and my test scores are inconsistent or consistently low then I will have no hesitation canceling my date and taking the October test. Again I appreciate your comments; they really helped relieve my apprehension of taking the October test. I will see come next week how I feel. If I burn out let's hope its on June 10th or 12th in which case I will take a week off and still have 3 months to study while already standing on a firm base. Thank you all again I appreciate the comments but be warned, if I score a 150 on the October test I will hold you all accountable!!

Just so long as you realize that 5/20 is the last day to actually postpone your test to October. If you wait till June 10th, that cancellation WILL show up on your LSAC report.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Fri May 18, 2012 6:49 pm

Last edited by 03152016 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

NYC2012

Bronze

Post by NYC2012 » Sat May 19, 2012 1:28 am

+1 for taking the October test. Agreed completely

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

d0rklord

Bronze

Post by d0rklord » Sat May 19, 2012 2:19 am

Nammertat wrote:

Just so long as you realize that 5/20 is the last day to actually postpone your test to October. If you wait till June 10th, that cancellation WILL show up on your LSAC report.
Incorrect.

A cancel only shows up on your record IF you take the test and decide to take it after. If you do a no-show an "absent" will show up. If you cancel up to 11:59 p.m. the night before, nothing shows up on your record.

I believe May 18 (or 17th, idr) was the last day to MOVE your test date (for a fee) to October or get a partial refund.

lederhosen

New

Post by lederhosen » Sat May 19, 2012 3:11 am

Last edited by lederhosen on Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

h2opolo

New

Post by h2opolo » Sun May 20, 2012 2:43 am

Once again I appreciate the comments, especially the animation. haha

d0rklord, you are right the 11:59 pm the night before is the last chance to cancel without it showing up.

Lederhosen, I'm listed as a driver but I'm really more of a utility player. Dude the USA is stacked, they're always underdogs on the world stage (water polo-wise) but I sense a repeat of 2008. Especially with Tony Azevedo, Jesse Smith, JW Krumpholtz, Ryan Bailey, Merrill Moses, and finally another Wigo brother!! They're still most likely going to get Sanduski'd against Serbia/Italy/Croatia but bronze isn't too unrealistic. Chances are prob just as good as me getting that 172+ in June haha

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”