How far can I realistically go?

perryja

How far can I realistically go?

Postby perryja » Thu May 17, 2012 4:02 am

Hey guys,

In 2011, I took an LSAT prep summer course (can't tell which one) and scored a 136 on the diagnostic test. Since then, my scores have been drifting in the 151-155 range. I'm taking a year off from schooling to do Teach for America and to study and prepare for the LSAT. How far do you all think I can go up on score -- REALISTICALLY? A lot of people have told me that it may be impossible to go up on score and a score of 155 is a big improvement from my diagnostic score. But, I have a year to get it right.

Would appreciate any responses. Be easy on me...

Re: How far can I realistically go?

Postby 03152016 » Thu May 17, 2012 4:15 am

Last edited by 03152016 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

perryja

Postby perryja » Thu May 17, 2012 4:20 am

I'm losing really badly on logic games. I did a preptest today, after taking some months off from studying because this was my graduating year, and the first 2 sections of the games I did perfect -- no mistakes. The last 2 sections I bombed.

gaud

Postby gaud » Thu May 17, 2012 5:08 am

Have you used any test prep company books? Or taken a class?

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Thu May 17, 2012 5:11 am

With an additional year's time to learn the concepts from both PowerScore and Manhattan LSAT, improve reading speed and comprehension, and take enough practice exams to give you the confidence you need, there's no limit to how high you can go. Well, 180 is the limit, but I think you can live with that. :wink: Go for it!

MLBrandow

Postby MLBrandow » Thu May 17, 2012 9:30 am

perryja,

My diagnostic was 141. My highest PT was 180 (last week) and most recent one was 173. Stay focused and jump in one of the LSAT prep group threads (such as the October one) and you'll catch the gunner fever everyone else has around here. Soon 155 won't even be good enough.

If you would like any specific games help and you have skype, I'd be happy to try to help you get the ball rolling if you PM me.

Lots of people score diagnostics below Elle Woods (and she got a 143! imagine how I felt!). Dedication and determination will propel you well beyond where you are right now.

Best of luck!

wskbarrett

Postby wskbarrett » Thu May 17, 2012 9:53 am

you can definitely do it. just learn the techniques for the logic games and practice. that was my problem section too, and i went from getting 10-12 questions right to getting all but 1 correct on the one that counted. you're only doing tfa for 1 year? i did all my prep during my second year with tfa, and it's do-able, but pretty tiring.

perryja

Postby perryja » Thu May 17, 2012 1:02 pm

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate it.

I feel good now. I have every official released preptest from LSAC. And, I am doing one a day. I'm actually off to do one now. :)

MLBrandow wrote:perryja,

My diagnostic was 141. My highest PT was 180 (last week) and most recent one was 173. Stay focused and jump in one of the LSAT prep group threads (such as the October one) and you'll catch the gunner fever everyone else has around here. Soon 155 won't even be good enough.

If you would like any specific games help and you have skype, I'd be happy to try to help you get the ball rolling if you PM me.

Lots of people score diagnostics below Elle Woods (and she got a 143! imagine how I felt!). Dedication and determination will propel you well beyond where you are right now.

Best of luck!

I'll definitely PM you when I need help. Thanks, guys. You really know how to make a guy feel good.

togepi

Postby togepi » Thu May 17, 2012 1:27 pm

Keep your head up high, after a few months of studying (and a diagnostic of 145) I was stuck at 155. With a few more months I finally broke 160 and have hit 164 and 168 in the last ten or so that I've taken. Some people improve a lot faster than others, and for me it took about 5 solid months before I broke 160. Now I'm comfortably hitting high 150s to mid 160s and still have a lot of room for improvement. The LSAT takes time, and if you're willing to put in the work, your scores will improve.

The LSAT rewards effective studying, but will eat you alive once you start to doubt yourself.

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Thu May 17, 2012 1:45 pm

Have no fear! Well, maybe some. The games section is the easiest section to improve on by far. I missed 13 questions on it the first time I took a practice test but by the end of my prep I was only missing a couple. Buy the Powerscore LSAT Games bible and work through it. I don't know what prep course you worked with, but they are not all equal. Princeton Review and Kaplan are simply sub par.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Thu May 17, 2012 3:33 pm

My diagnostic was a 149. After two months of drilling and reading the Bibles I took another PT and scored a 165, after another solid month I am hovering around the 168-172 range and the trends keep getting better.

Being an athlete I was never told to ask "How far can I go" but rather "What will it take to get me there".

If you need a study plan, PM me.

perryja

Postby perryja » Thu May 17, 2012 4:01 pm

gaud wrote:Have you used any test prep company books? Or taken a class?

Took a class last summer. Now, just working on official released preptests every day. Did one this morning and going to score it later. I'm doing better on logic games.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”