How to find time to study for the LSAT with a full time job?

ad121600

How to find time to study for the LSAT with a full time job?

Postby ad121600 » Sun May 13, 2012 6:13 pm

I currently work in finance and work 7am-7pm. I wake up around 4:30 and commute 2 hours to work and then leave work at 7pm and commute home 2 hours. I would love to study while commuting but I drive so that's not an option. I also don't have a lunch hour so I can't study at ant point during the day. I've been studying on weekends for the October test but know I'm going to have to get 2-3 weekday nights of studying in too. I had a diagnostic score of 148 so I know I have A LOT of work to do. I'd like to take a test masters course later in the summer but I'm going to have to figure out how to fit it in with my work schedule. Any suggestions from people who have studied for the LSAT with a full time job?

stillwater

Re: How to find time to study for the LSAT with a full time job?

Postby stillwater » Sun May 13, 2012 6:16 pm

ad121600 wrote:I currently work in finance and work 7am-7pm. I wake up around 4:30 and commute 2 hours to work and then leave work at 7pm and commute home 2 hours. I would love to study while commuting but I drive so that's not an option. I also don't have a lunch hour so I can't study at ant point during the day. I've been studying on weekends for the October test but know I'm going to have to get 2-3 weekday nights of studying in too. I had a diagnostic score of 148 so I know I have A LOT of work to do. I'd like to take a test masters course later in the summer but I'm going to have to figure out how to fit it in with my work schedule. Any suggestions from people who have studied for the LSAT with a full time job?

Yup, you need to find a new place to live.

ad121600

Postby ad121600 » Sun May 13, 2012 6:20 pm

stillwater wrote:
ad121600 wrote:I currently work in finance and work 7am-7pm. I wake up around 4:30 and commute 2 hours to work and then leave work at 7pm and commute home 2 hours. I would love to study while commuting but I drive so that's not an option. I also don't have a lunch hour so I can't study at ant point during the day. I've been studying on weekends for the October test but know I'm going to have to get 2-3 weekday nights of studying in too. I had a diagnostic score of 148 so I know I have A LOT of work to do. I'd like to take a test masters course later in the summer but I'm going to have to figure out how to fit it in with my work schedule. Any suggestions from people who have studied for the LSAT with a full time job?

Well that's currently not an option so thanks for giving a completely ludicrous response

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sun May 13, 2012 6:24 pm

ad121600 wrote:
stillwater wrote:

Well that's currently not an option so thanks for giving a a ludicrous response

Well you can't leave your job bc presumably you make good money and shouldn't sacrifice that (if ever) without knowing what kind of LSAT you can top out at and what type of school you can attain with that. Your commute is what is really eating into your study time. So, no, it is not a ludicrous response. Difficult, yeah, but I don't really see any alternative for you my friend. Are there any public transportation options? Maybe a train? That would at least afford you the opportunity to do something. You are in a tough spot with that schedule. What are your weekends like?

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Sun May 13, 2012 6:33 pm

ad121600 wrote:
stillwater wrote:

Well that's currently not an option so thanks for giving a completely ludicrous response

Yes, it was a ludicrous, unhelpful response. In the guy´s defense, it was a ludicrous, unhelpful response to a fairly ludicrous question. I mean, really, what are you looking for? As far as I can see, it's either some secret way to increase the number of hours in a day, or other similarly ludicrous responses such as "Get a job closer to home" or "Learn to drive while reading" or "Figure out how to function on three hours per night."

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun May 13, 2012 6:40 pm

or simply- you need to extend your study timeline so that you can work, study and be ahuman. ( that and study on the weekends/ days off)

The Valkyrie

Postby The Valkyrie » Sun May 13, 2012 6:43 pm

You just have to do it when you get home. I suggest making mp3s to listen to in the car. I did this with the be exam and had good success. Might be good for LR at least

Psib337

Postby Psib337 » Sun May 13, 2012 9:16 pm

I'm studying while working full time. My schedule isn't nearly as bad as yours though (I hope your making good money working 7-7). I second whoever said to use public transportation to get to work so you can study then. You could also use that time to sleep so you can study when you get home (I can't study if I'm tired, I wind up completely reading questions and answers wrong). I also took testmasters and I think it's great. I also had a low diagnostic in the 140s (and that was where I was PTing) and test masters has helped a lot. If you're working I recommend not taking a class that leads right up to the test. My classes ended on wednesday and I'm nowhere near done all the homework so it's nice to have a month to do it and really let everything sink in. I do practice tests on weekends, maybe when I finish all the testmasters homework I'll take one or two during the week.

The live testmasters course was twice a week from 6-10 though, they may have different times but that seems the only time slot that would benefit most college students and people who work full time. If that's the case and you can move closer to your job I would do that if I were you (unless you can run on 4 1/2 hours of sleep). Also if there's some way you can leave work early I'd do that too, the first half of each class is LR questions, if you can't leave work until 7 and show up an hour or hour and a half late you're gonna miss half the course (the most useful half too).

AP-375

Postby AP-375 » Sun May 13, 2012 9:30 pm

I studied while working full time, although my schedule was a pretty standard 8:30-5:30, with a 1-hr commute.
I got to work two hours early, studied through my lunch, and stayed late an hour or two to study. I didn't study weekends.
So I'd recommend evenings and weekends, because it sounds like that's all you've got.
(Or ask for six weeks of LSAT leave and study full time, because that's what it might take starting with a 148.)
Good luck.

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Sun May 13, 2012 9:40 pm

Here's a post I wrote for TLS. I hope it helps.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/lsat-pre ... chool.html

Ellee13

Postby Ellee13 » Mon May 14, 2012 3:14 pm

It sounds like your only option is to give up some sleep time for study time. My work schedule isn't as bad as yours, but I'm currently working full time 8-4 with an hour commute. I also have a baby to take care of when I get home. So my only real option for studying is while the baby is sleeping. I get up early in the morning and study before I have to leave for work, and then on the train during my commute. The weekends are when I fit the bulk of my study time in. Also, one thing that really works for me is to take practice tests or drill a ton of questions over the weekend when I have more time. Then I use the weekdays to review and go over any problems that I missed. If you have to drive to work, maybe make a tape or cd of anything that needs to memorized. That way you can memorize it on the way to and from work. I made flashcards on my phone and on my computer. I keep the flash cards up at work so I can review things. Having the flashcards on my phone is nice, because I can study in short bursts if I have some extra time. Any questions that I miss, I scan and copy into onenote. That way if I get extra time at work, I can open the program and review what I missed or re-work the question.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”