Philosopher's Highest Score on the LSAT

Who would score highest on the LSAT?

Friedrich Nietzsche
9
5%
Ludwig Wittgenstein
41
22%
Immanuel Kant
44
23%
Socrates
27
14%
Ayn Rand
22
12%
Aristotle
24
13%
Karl Popper
4
2%
Karl Marx
7
4%
Richard Rorty
4
2%
Gottlob Frege
7
4%
 
Total votes: 189

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Philosopher's Highest Score on the LSAT

Postby dingbat » Sat May 19, 2012 5:13 pm

Joeshan520 wrote:Image

Please explain this to me

Joeshan520
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:05 pm

Re: Philosopher's Highest Score on the LSAT

Postby Joeshan520 » Mon May 21, 2012 12:24 am

dingbat wrote:
Joeshan520 wrote:Image

Please explain this to me


Picture is of Richard Rorty and basically we were arguing over more valid interpretations over Nietzsche. Rorty would say that no one interpretation is closer to the nature of his theories then the others because he is full of vacillations. So what's the point of arguing over it?

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Philosopher's Highest Score on the LSAT

Postby dingbat » Mon May 21, 2012 12:29 am

Joeshan520 wrote:
dingbat wrote:
Joeshan520 wrote:Image

Please explain this to me


Picture is of Richard Rorty and basically we were arguing over more valid interpretations over Nietzsche. Rorty would say that no one interpretation is closer to the nature of his theories then the others because he is full of vacillations. So what's the point of arguing over it?


The quote reads "I wanted to take revenge on the bullies at school in my own way"
that part confuses me

Joeshan520
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:05 pm

Re: Philosopher's Highest Score on the LSAT

Postby Joeshan520 » Mon May 21, 2012 12:34 am

bruss wrote:Once Nietzsche wrote the words "There is no truth...." I thought to myself why does anyone even listen to this guy. Isn't him saying there is no truth a truth. The guy should have been laughed off the philosophers circuit right then and there, instead we now have people arguing whether he is a realitivist or not.


It's not that Nietzsche is saying there is no truth, it's that he's saying there is no Truth (absolute truth). His theory explores the nature of Truth as a socially constructed phenomenon based on interpretation and how the notion of Truth (in religion, politics, etc.) has been used to destroy the will of the individual to create and to form humans into debased herd animals. That's what makes him important.

Joeshan520
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:05 pm

Re: Philosopher's Highest Score on the LSAT

Postby Joeshan520 » Mon May 21, 2012 12:38 am

The quote reads "I wanted to take revenge on the bullies at school in my own way"
that part confuses me[/quote]

It's the only picture I could find of him looking like a bear squatting in the woods.

User avatar
ru2486
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:28 am

Re: Philosopher's Highest Score on the LSAT

Postby ru2486 » Wed May 23, 2012 12:48 am

late to the party, but this thread needs MOAR Marx. Marx would have 180'ed that shit on behalf of the proles.

Foucault should get a special mention as well.

To all the Ayn Rand trolls, you're trolls without even knowing it. "Ideology" equaling "false consciousness" applies to you.

People need to get on board with Heidegger's Nazism =/= "personal failings." I suggest Pierre Bourdieu's "Political Ontology of Martin Heidegger." Philosophy cannot be separated from the economic, social, and political contexts in which it is done. The rest is bourgeois circle-jerking.

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Philosopher's Highest Score on the LSAT

Postby Micdiddy » Wed May 23, 2012 1:31 am

ru2486 wrote:late to the party, but this thread needs MOAR Marx. Marx would have 180'ed that shit on behalf of the proles.

Foucault should get a special mention as well.

To all the Ayn Rand trolls, you're trolls without even knowing it. "Ideology" equaling "false consciousness" applies to you.

People need to get on board with Heidegger's Nazism =/= "personal failings." I suggest Pierre Bourdieu's "Political Ontology of Martin Heidegger." Philosophy cannot be separated from the economic, social, and political contexts in which it is done. The rest is bourgeois circle-jerking.


I wonder, do all trolls wait until their views are attacked before they start troll-lol-loling?

User avatar
ru2486
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:28 am

Re: Philosopher's Highest Score on the LSAT

Postby ru2486 » Wed May 23, 2012 1:51 am

Micdiddy wrote:
ru2486 wrote:late to the party, but this thread needs MOAR Marx. Marx would have 180'ed that shit on behalf of the proles.

Foucault should get a special mention as well.

To all the Ayn Rand trolls, you're trolls without even knowing it. "Ideology" equaling "false consciousness" applies to you.

People need to get on board with Heidegger's Nazism =/= "personal failings." I suggest Pierre Bourdieu's "Political Ontology of Martin Heidegger." Philosophy cannot be separated from the economic, social, and political contexts in which it is done. The rest is bourgeois circle-jerking.


I wonder, do all trolls wait until their views are attacked before they start troll-lol-loling?


Good question, as I recall you took up the Randian banner after numerous posters dismissed her insane inclusion on the list of seminal philosophers.

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Philosopher's Highest Score on the LSAT

Postby Micdiddy » Wed May 23, 2012 2:17 am

ru2486 wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:
ru2486 wrote:late to the party, but this thread needs MOAR Marx. Marx would have 180'ed that shit on behalf of the proles.

Foucault should get a special mention as well.

To all the Ayn Rand trolls, you're trolls without even knowing it. "Ideology" equaling "false consciousness" applies to you.

People need to get on board with Heidegger's Nazism =/= "personal failings." I suggest Pierre Bourdieu's "Political Ontology of Martin Heidegger." Philosophy cannot be separated from the economic, social, and political contexts in which it is done. The rest is bourgeois circle-jerking.


I wonder, do all trolls wait until their views are attacked before they start troll-lol-loling?


Good question, as I recall you took up the Randian banner after numerous posters dismissed her insane inclusion on the list of seminal philosophers.


That's my point exactly.

User avatar
ru2486
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:28 am

Re: Philosopher's Highest Score on the LSAT

Postby ru2486 » Wed May 23, 2012 2:34 am

Micdiddy wrote:
ru2486 wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:
ru2486 wrote:late to the party, but this thread needs MOAR Marx. Marx would have 180'ed that shit on behalf of the proles.

Foucault should get a special mention as well.

To all the Ayn Rand trolls, you're trolls without even knowing it. "Ideology" equaling "false consciousness" applies to you.

People need to get on board with Heidegger's Nazism =/= "personal failings." I suggest Pierre Bourdieu's "Political Ontology of Martin Heidegger." Philosophy cannot be separated from the economic, social, and political contexts in which it is done. The rest is bourgeois circle-jerking.


I wonder, do all trolls wait until their views are attacked before they start troll-lol-loling?


Good question, as I recall you took up the Randian banner after numerous posters dismissed her insane inclusion on the list of seminal philosophers.


That's my point exactly.


Well in that case you win a lot of brownie points from me (also, lets take note, brownies are delicious, possibly above sheetcake and cupcake points, but below cheesecake and chocolate mousse points).

User avatar
Antilles Haven
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:34 am

Re: Philosopher's Highest Score on the LSAT

Postby Antilles Haven » Wed May 23, 2012 2:35 am

Ayn Rand would have gotten a 153.

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Philosopher's Highest Score on the LSAT

Postby Micdiddy » Wed May 23, 2012 2:40 am

ru2486 wrote:
Well in that case you win a lot of brownie points from me (also, lets take note, brownies are delicious, possibly above sheetcake and cupcake points, but below cheesecake and chocolate mousse points).


How do I get those sweet sweet chocolate mousse points?

User avatar
ru2486
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:28 am

Re: Philosopher's Highest Score on the LSAT

Postby ru2486 » Wed May 23, 2012 2:46 am

Micdiddy wrote:
ru2486 wrote:
Well in that case you win a lot of brownie points from me (also, lets take note, brownies are delicious, possibly above sheetcake and cupcake points, but below cheesecake and chocolate mousse points).


How do I get those sweet sweet chocolate mousse points?


Well, to get those points from me, you'd have to write a cogent essay unifying Marxian and late Foucauldian philosophies of history (i.e. economic cum social history + genealogy). The task is more difficult than I can bear.

Alternatively, you can be into craft beer or general brohomie (bro +bonhomie).


I've been heavily drinking at this point. Will regret this poast in the morning.

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Philosopher's Highest Score on the LSAT

Postby Micdiddy » Wed May 23, 2012 2:47 am

ru2486 wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:
ru2486 wrote:
Well in that case you win a lot of brownie points from me (also, lets take note, brownies are delicious, possibly above sheetcake and cupcake points, but below cheesecake and chocolate mousse points).


How do I get those sweet sweet chocolate mousse points?


Well, to get those points from me, you'd have to write a cogent essay unifying Marxian and late Foucauldian philosophies of history (i.e. economic cum social history + genealogy). The task is more difficult than I can bear.

Alternatively, you can be into craft beer or general brohomie (bro +bonhomie).


I've been heavily drinking at this point. Will regret this poast in the morning.


I recommend Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat. Best beer I've ever had.

User avatar
ru2486
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:28 am

Re: Philosopher's Highest Score on the LSAT

Postby ru2486 » Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 am

[/quote] I recommend Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat. Best beer I've ever had.[/quote]

MicDiddy, I like you. But Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat is non-peer beer. It's like saying you like Bluemoon.

Try Hoegaarden. Try Allagash White. Try Sierra Nevade Kellerwise Hefewiezen. Try ANY wheat beer from Belgium or Germany or any reputable American craft brewery (Goose Island, Ommegang, Russian River, etc.).

The above is not snobbery or elitism. It's meant to put you on the path of delectable deliciousness that is real craft beer. I work in a craft-beer bar with over 100 taps, I've tasted 1000s of beers. The world of beer awaits you.

Apologies for completely and utterly derailing this thread. But not really.

I still think Foucault and maybe Giorgio Agamben should get some special, contemporary mentions.
Last edited by ru2486 on Wed May 23, 2012 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
RedBirds2011
Posts: 623
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: Philosopher's Highest Score on the LSAT

Postby RedBirds2011 » Wed May 23, 2012 2:58 am

Hoegaarden is fucking delicious. Also, there's a beer thread lol

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Philosopher's Highest Score on the LSAT

Postby Micdiddy » Wed May 23, 2012 2:59 am

ru2486 wrote:
Try Hoegaarden. Try Allagash White. Try Sierra Nevade Kellerwise Hefewiezen. Try ANY wheat beer from Belgium or Germany or any reputable American craft brewery (Goose Island, Ommegang, Russian River, etc.).

The above is not snobbery or elitism. It's meant to put you on the path of delectable deliciousness that is real craft beer. I work in a craft-beer bar with over 100 taps, I've tasted 1000s of beers. The world of beer awaits you.

Apologies for completely and utterly derailing this thread. But not really.

I still think Foucault and maybe Giorgio Agamben should get some special, contemporary mentions.


I have tried each of the three beers you recommended, and I do like all three. I also like Blue Moon fwiw. Generally, I like everything Hefewiezen as well.

Do you like Boonts? Another one of my faves (basically any Boonts for that matter).

User avatar
ru2486
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:28 am

Re: Philosopher's Highest Score on the LSAT

Postby ru2486 » Wed May 23, 2012 3:14 am

Micdiddy wrote:
ru2486 wrote:
Try Hoegaarden. Try Allagash White. Try Sierra Nevade Kellerwise Hefewiezen. Try ANY wheat beer from Belgium or Germany or any reputable American craft brewery (Goose Island, Ommegang, Russian River, etc.).

The above is not snobbery or elitism. It's meant to put you on the path of delectable deliciousness that is real craft beer. I work in a craft-beer bar with over 100 taps, I've tasted 1000s of beers. The world of beer awaits you.

Apologies for completely and utterly derailing this thread. But not really.

I still think Foucault and maybe Giorgio Agamben should get some special, contemporary mentions.


I have tried each of the three beers you recommended, and I do like all three. I also like Blue Moon fwiw. Generally, I like everything Hefewiezen as well.

Do you like Boonts? Another one of my faves (basically any Boonts for that matter).


I actually have not had Boonts (at least the Amber Ale, if that's what you're referring to). Seems like it's gotten decent reviews on beeradvocate.com. I've not been terribly impressed with AVBC's Belgian styles, specifically their Dubbel and Tripel, but then again, I'm a hardcore Belgian beerphile, and hard to please.

I commend this turn in discussion. What do people think of Habermas and post-marxism? I think Habermas would be a solid 172.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests