Philosopher's Highest Score on the LSAT Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Who would score highest on the LSAT?

Friedrich Nietzsche
5%
Ludwig Wittgenstein
21%
Immanuel Kant
23%
Socrates
15%
Ayn Rand
11%
Aristotle
13%
Karl Popper
2%
Karl Marx
4%
Richard Rorty
2%
Gottlob Frege
4%

Total votes: 192

RedBirds2011

Silver

Re: Philosopher's Highest Score on the LSAT

Post by RedBirds2011 » Fri May 11, 2012 2:25 pm

tfleming09 wrote:
RedBirds2011 wrote:
Smart people with an agenda like her too.
FTFY
And the people who disagree dont? Everybody has an agenda, breh.

smaug_

Gold

Post by smaug_ » Fri May 11, 2012 2:26 pm

Odd Future Wolf Gang wrote:I am curious bros.

Instead of just saying Rand's philosophy lacks DAT RIGOR, give me FIVE cogent reasons why Rand suck as a philosopher (not a Rand-fan, never read her).
1) Objectivism ignores the is/ought problem.
2) Her disdain for altruism runs against studies that show altruistic behavior in primates
3) She attempts to give a reductive approach to a nuanced problem. (epistemology)
4) Even in an idealized world filled with supermen she seems to forget that some tasks do not require a higher class of individual.
5) Her contemporaries focused on such problems as how language affects our understanding of the world and how the absurd is a necessary condition of the human experience. She instead focused on saying "A is A" through long-winded boring speeches by her characters.

Odd Future Wolf Gang

Gold

Post by Odd Future Wolf Gang » Fri May 11, 2012 2:29 pm

hibiki wrote:

Instead of just saying Rand's philosophy lacks DAT RIGOR, give me FIVE cogent reasons why Rand suck as a philosopher (not a Rand-fan, never read her).
2) Her disdain for altruism runs against studies that show altruistic behavior in primates
3) She attempts to give a reductive approach to a nuanced problem. (epistemology)
4) Even in an idealized world filled with supermen she seems to forget that some tasks do not require a higher class of individual.
5) Her contemporaries focused on such problems as how language affects our understanding of the world and how the absurd is a necessary condition of the human experience. She instead focused on saying "A is A" through long-winded boring speeches by her characters.
Very cogent, brother.

charliep

Bronze

Post by charliep » Fri May 11, 2012 2:29 pm

if we're gonna add novelists, dostoevsky must be one of them

Odd Future Wolf Gang

Gold

Post by Odd Future Wolf Gang » Fri May 11, 2012 2:31 pm

charliep wrote:if we're gonna add novelists, dostoevsky must be one of them
On the LSAT, David Foster Wallace would DOMINATE any other novelist you can name.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Fri May 11, 2012 2:34 pm

Oh man, this thread is reaching TLS lows.

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Fri May 11, 2012 2:34 pm

:shock: :shock:
Last edited by dowu on Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Fri May 11, 2012 2:36 pm

We are expressly NOT adding novelists. For our purposes today, novelist=hack.

Band A Long

Bronze

Post by Band A Long » Fri May 11, 2012 2:36 pm

hibiki wrote:2) Her disdain for altruism runs against studies that show altruistic behavior in primates
That's not a very good reason. Aristotle thought there was æther, heavier things fall faster, etc. + Naturalistic fallacy

But really she still sucks and those are all solid impromptu reasons

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

charliep

Bronze

Post by charliep » Fri May 11, 2012 2:37 pm

Odd Future Wolf Gang wrote:
On the LSAT, David Foster Wallace would DOMINATE any other novelist you can name.
lewis carroll wrote a book called "symbolic logic," and he lays down mathematical allegories like a motherfucker

charliep

Bronze

Post by charliep » Fri May 11, 2012 2:38 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
cant the same be said for your avatar? (full disclosure: i like your avatar)

Band A Long

Bronze

Post by Band A Long » Fri May 11, 2012 2:39 pm

Tom Joad wrote: Oh man, this thread is reaching TLS lows.
Let me help:
  1. retake

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Fri May 11, 2012 2:40 pm

charliep wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
Well I don't think Dostoevsky was dumb. I just think he used his smart brain to make up bullshit for smart people.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Fri May 11, 2012 2:41 pm

Band A Long wrote:
hibiki wrote:2) Her disdain for altruism runs against studies that show altruistic behavior in primates
That's not a very good reason. Aristotle thought there was æther, heavier things fall faster, etc. + Naturalistic fallacy

But really she still sucks and those are all solid impromptu reasons
also, if i remember correctly, her arguments in Atlas had too many false dichotomies and straw man fallacies.

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Fri May 11, 2012 2:42 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
charliep wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:
Well I don't think Dostoevsky was dumb. I just think he used his smart brain to make up bullshit for smart people.
that's a good business model for novelists, i feel.

Odd Future Wolf Gang

Gold

Post by Odd Future Wolf Gang » Fri May 11, 2012 2:47 pm

stillwater wrote:We are expressly NOT adding novelists. For our purposes today, novelist=hack.
Are you calling JONATHAN FRANZEN a hack little breh?

Minesweeper

New

Post by Minesweeper » Fri May 11, 2012 2:51 pm

Charles Sanders Pierce would be right up there. From the list, I'd say Witt.

Also, Noam Chomsky.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Fri May 11, 2012 2:52 pm

stillwater wrote:We are expressly NOT adding novelists. For our purposes today, novelist=hack.
Franzen is probably one of the first novelists I would go after.

ams212

New

Post by ams212 » Fri May 11, 2012 4:00 pm

While, I haven't read any of her non-fiction, the roots of her "philosophy's" (and I use the term loosely) problems are really simple logical flaws, and that is why she would do terrible on the LSAT. She sees the world in a very skewed way because of her personal history. Even if you accept that any philosopher will occasionally have logical lapses, it doesn't save Rand. This is because the basic premises she bases her logic on are just plain fantasy. You can tell that hers is an ass-backwards approach in that she molds her logic and her philosophy to fit her own morality. Like a previous poster said her even when her logic is sound her philosophy is always going to be flawed because her premises are so skewed.

I have become troll. :cry:

Campagnolo

Silver

Post by Campagnolo » Fri May 11, 2012 4:10 pm

I said Aristotle. In terms of raw intellectual horsepower, dude was a thoroughbred.

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Fri May 11, 2012 4:34 pm

Campagnolo wrote:I said Aristotle. In terms of raw intellectual horsepower, dude was a thoroughbred.
+1. Dude had his hands in every subject.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RedBirds2011

Silver

Post by RedBirds2011 » Fri May 11, 2012 4:36 pm

ams212 wrote:While, I haven't read any of her non-fiction, the roots of her "philosophy's" (and I use the term loosely) problems are really simple logical flaws, and that is why she would do terrible on the LSAT. She sees the world in a very skewed way because of her personal history. Even if you accept that any philosopher will occasionally have logical lapses, it doesn't save Rand. This is because the basic premises she bases her logic on are just plain fantasy. You can tell that hers is an ass-backwards approach in that she molds her logic and her philosophy to fit her own morality. Like a previous poster said her even when her logic is sound her philosophy is always going to be flawed because her premises are so skewed.

Ha ha you said yourself you didn't actually read the non- fiction so how can you claim to really understand it and critique it. Actually know the ins and outs of it. Then criticize away all you want. Be my guest I'll prolly agree. :wink:

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Fri May 11, 2012 5:23 pm

hibiki wrote:

1) How so?

2) No it doesn't. I am sure Ayn Rand would have no problem if someone told her primates showed altruistic tendencies. It wouldn't weaken her philosophy in the slightest.

3) And is she wrong? What's the problem of epistemology, and what's the answer?

4) I don't see this at all in her fiction or the some non-fiction I have read. She seems perfectly fine with many tasks involving any class of individuals, as long as they do not systematically leech off of others.

5) But you fail to recognize that she had to harp on this A=A thing because so many otherwise intelligent people seem to ignore it, and it's the basis of her entire philosophy. I cannot recall a single refutation of her beliefs that doesn't either consciously or unintentionally contradict A=A.

I've read her fiction and some non-fiction, and I have met many intelligent people who have a big problem with Ayn Rand and none of them have ever had a valid reason why. Furthermore, I have not met a single intelligent person who actually understood her ideas and still had a big problem with her. Evidence of this are the people calling her "selfish" and saying she was a conservative. Lots of otherwise intelligent people dismiss her out-of-hand because it's the fashionable thing to do and they don't like the surface of her philosophy.

Anyway, I guess I picked up the Rand apologist banner, flame on and we'll see where it goes.

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Fri May 11, 2012 5:25 pm

RedBirds2011 wrote:
ams212 wrote:While, I haven't read any of her non-fiction, the roots of her "philosophy's" (and I use the term loosely) problems are really simple logical flaws, and that is why she would do terrible on the LSAT. She sees the world in a very skewed way because of her personal history. Even if you accept that any philosopher will occasionally have logical lapses, it doesn't save Rand. This is because the basic premises she bases her logic on are just plain fantasy. You can tell that hers is an ass-backwards approach in that she molds her logic and her philosophy to fit her own morality. Like a previous poster said her even when her logic is sound her philosophy is always going to be flawed because her premises are so skewed.

Wow, this strikes me as an interesting post because it sounds extremely like something Rand herself would say and accuse other people of. How are her premises skewed? If she were convinced of the fact, she would likely have happily altered them.

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Fri May 11, 2012 5:27 pm

stillwater wrote:
Franzen is probably one of the first novelists I would go after.
Are you calling TONI MORRISON a hack brosef-with-the-mostef?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”